WoooHOOOO! Got my Historic Vehicle Plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 06:45 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WoooHOOOO! Got my Historic Vehicle Plates

the MailMan just came bearing a great gift today!!!

Who'd a THUNK my '76 would ever get historical plates!!

My original registration would have expired in April this year and the car would have had to be smogged but no more

The big Q now is how the registration is going to be done in April ... The tags I have on the Historical Plates expires then which is my normal cycle. So I'm still going on the ASSumption that with these plates no smog will be required (the guy at the DMV told me that is true ... ... )

If the reg in April says ''Smog Reqired'' then all this effort will have been wasted (as well as my $25 plate fee)

Last edited by SanDiegoPaul; 01-28-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:06 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you dig parades,exhibitions as these plates come with driving restrictions...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17a.pdf

Rich
Old 01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Hope you dig parades,exhibitions as these plates come with driving restrictions...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17a.pdf

Rich
Yea but as you know, I am the webmaster for COCSD so I'm sure I can always justify ~something~SOMEHOW~
Old 01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Rich
CT is the same way, and I've got those plates

there's always loop holes
Old 01-28-2006, 10:15 PM
luv2sail21
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05-'09-'10

Default No problem

Rich
Carry a flag around and tell them you are starting the next parade...parade that thing around...
Old 01-28-2006, 10:32 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is no joke....
in the early 90's i had a 1960 TR3a as a DD with Historical tags.... I worked in a small town (Indian Lake, Ohio) and ate lunch at the same places the local LEO's went.
On my way in a LEO actually asked me how I got away with driving every day on those tags!!! I replied "I'm on a test drive" he chuckled, we went inside & ate lunch, not another word was said about my tags!
Ohio Highway Patrol Officer gave me a ticket for 70 in a 55 zone... not a word about my tag. (he was upset about my car not having seat belts)
Old 01-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw it,....

Theres so many "laws" these days against everything. As far as I'm concerned I'm always going to a car show,... or taking the car to my repair shot.

Last time I got stopped I was 200 miles away from home...

Dan
Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 PM
25th silverbullet
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

In order to enforce stupid laws that were intended to protect stupid people from themselves they make more laws. Those who never had need for the first set of laws fail to abide by the second. Thus the system breaks down and we are free to enjoy.

You can get away with alot by driving a 'vette. How many of you have passed cops or lit them up in front of the fuzz only to have them give you

I had a cruiser follow me about 10 miles once. He then proceded to pull up next to me and I thought for sure I was going to be paying higher premiums. He just wanted to hear the exhaust....
Old 01-28-2006, 11:56 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Congrats Paul. I'll be interested to see what happens in April. My next smog is in September and I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:11 AM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Put historical plates on my "69 corvette conv. found out they are perminate. no more wheel tax. no more fees to renew my registration. in effect every thing is perminent which it states on tag.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of getting similar tags here in South Carolina. But I'm just not sure... cause of the tannish brown color. What color are they over there?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 25th silverbullet
In order to enforce stupid laws that were intended to protect stupid people from themselves they make more laws. Those who never had need for the first set of laws fail to abide by the second. Thus the system breaks down and we are free to enjoy.

You can get away with alot by driving a 'vette. How many of you have passed cops or lit them up in front of the fuzz only to have them give you

I had a cruiser follow me about 10 miles once. He then proceded to pull up next to me and I thought for sure I was going to be paying higher premiums. He just wanted to hear the exhaust....

Hehe...This reminds me of my dad's Harley Davidson F150.

See, apparently, it's illegal to have a colored light located anywhere above the headlights here in Santee.. Well, my father installed an aftermarket Ford logo that fits into the front grille; this lights up when the headlights go on, with a bluish Indiglo color.

My mom is driving the truck with my father, and the two of them are arguing with each other; as they proceed down the street a cop comes up next to them in a "Turn Only" lane, then pulls through it to pull behind them. After about a mile down the road, he hits the lights and pulls them over. This causes general swearing from my mother, because she thinks that the "guy who's tailgating [her] is a moron for pulling through the turn lane." When the lights come on, that's when she realizes it's a cop.

He stops her, and my mom shuts off the truck, which shuts off the headlights. The cop gets out of his car, walks in front of the truck, then walks back to her and says, "I'm so sorry, ma'am. I thought I saw a blue light coming from the front of the truck, and only emergency vehicles are supposed to have colored lights."

My mother's already PO'd, so she throws an attitude at the cop and says, "OH! Wait! Go LOOK at the front of the truck! LOOK at it!" and flips the headlights back on.

The cop looks at it and comes back to my mom. She points to my father in the passenge seat and says, "It was HIS idea! THIS man is the owner of the truck; it was HIS bright idea to have that light installed! Talk to him!"

The cop leans over and goes, "Cool light! Where'd you get it?"

Back on topic...Paul, you'll have to let us know whether the smog is required for your car after April, because I'd like to know. Both of my classic cars are pre-1975, so there's no smog for those, but if I get another one that's after '75, it'd be nice to not have to smog it with historical plates...

Last edited by Sprzout; 01-29-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:33 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Unless it's changed, the law in CA said 73 or older doesn't need smog (which is why I bought a '73 ), and going forward any car 30 years or older doesn't need smog. So in '04 cars from 1974 didn't need smog, and I would expect '76s are now clear.
But what is the value/cool-ness/reason for the "historic vehicle" tag? Other than the hassle of claiming to be going to a parade/show/etc.?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:24 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Exemption is 1975 older now....law changed..
Old 01-29-2006, 08:22 AM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

I'm glad I live in Arkansas. Only requirement is "twenty five (25) years old or older, which is essentially unaltered from the original manufacturers specifications. "

and 7 bucks for life!

Arkansas only requires one plate of any type on the vehicle on the back. Less of a profile on the front of the car when being radared.

Last edited by rbird; 01-29-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:04 AM
jerrylee
Pro

Default Emissions..

Can anyone tell me the cut off in New York...thanx...Jerrylee///
Old 01-29-2006, 04:21 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Intimidator454
I was thinking of getting similar tags here in South Carolina. But I'm just not sure... cause of the tannish brown color. What color are they over there?
shiny white...red lettering
Old 01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by johnnybrewmeister
But what is the value/cool-ness/reason for the "historic vehicle" tag? Other than the hassle of claiming to be going to a parade/show/etc.?

Because as of last year, my car is on SMOG watch forever until the law gets changed again.

In April I would have had to re smog it.

Get notified of new replies

To WoooHOOOO! Got my Historic Vehicle Plates

Quick Reply: WoooHOOOO! Got my Historic Vehicle Plates