Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will These Wheels Go on my '79? How?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Will These Wheels Go on my '79? How?

Hi Guys/Gals,

I was "fortunate" to get a set of Eagle Alloy wheels from the previous owner when I bought my car.

http://www.aewheel.com/eagle_alloy_wheels.cfm?id=8

Specifics:
Model: 2039-5708
Size/Finish: 15x7 Polished,
Pattern: 5 on 4.5/4.75 (2 sets of holes, 10 holes/wheel)
ACORN Nut
0 mm Offset
4" Backspace

Two shops told me they are not right for the car and can't/shouldn't be installed. A Corvette specialty shop tried to do it using a 7/16" spacer (clearance for caliper was OK) but they couldn't get an appropriate lug nut and suggested I would need to machine the holes to get a fit. Any advice on how to use these wheels? I love the look and would like to install them but not if it compromises safety or the stance.

If they won't fit on the back (P225 60's), would they go on the front (P225 70's)? I could sell off the rear two and replace them with the same pattern in a 15 x 8 size if that's what is needed. From a cost standpoint, by the time I buy the spacers/new studs/special lugs it may be a wash...

Please, any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
dmrodco
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have those same ones on my truck ! Really I like them but not so much on a vette
Old 02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really I like them but not so much on a vette
Old 02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Any idea how to install them properly?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Those *should* fit. 0 offset with 4" backspace is what I got with my AR TTII's. Fit the front no problem at all.. just BARELY nicked the rear calipers. I put in a 5/16" spacer and it worked like a charm.

So the answer is they will probalby fit.. but you may need to use a spacer on the rear if it touches the caliper.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

its a nice looking wheel, but three shops (professionals) told you it will not fit correctly. Why that a chance & mess up your vette or destroy the wheel trying to make it fit. Sell the wheels on the forum or ebay & buy a wheel that fits your car.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Default Getting Eagle Wheels on 79, take 2

Originally Posted by Jims79
its a nice looking wheel, but three shops (professionals) told you it will not fit correctly. Why that a chance & mess up your vette or destroy the wheel trying to make it fit. Sell the wheels on the forum or ebay & buy a wheel that fits your car.
In defense of a weakly worded posting...one shop is so liability sensitive they won't install anything requiring a spacer and suggested I buy 15 x 8's and come back. The other shop is reluctant to do anything that may make them think or take extra time...experience with my DD made me realize these guys are hacks. The Vette Pros were well on the way to having them installed when they discovered the lug nut is not right. I had more pressing "issues" with the suspension so they shifted gears and took care of the mechanical issues instead of the cosmetic. I honestly feel they will fit and look way better than the tired Keystone's I have on the car now. They would not have been my first choice if I were to buy outright, but I own them and hope to put them to good use. As always, $ is an issue.

Options:
1. Sell all 4 (how much???) and buy trick wheels like Gordon's
2. Mount with ~7/16" spacers; what lug nuts and do studs need to be replaced?
3. Try to restore the Keystones (pitted/rusted/peeling chrome...will send pix) and enjoy my car
4. Other?

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

[QUOTE=Wuttin]In defense of a weakly worded posting...one shop is so liability sensitive they won't install anything requiring a spacer and suggested I buy 15 x 8's and come back. The other shop is reluctant to do anything that may make them think or take extra time...

Oh nice Steve make fun of a member for a few type O’s when he’s tiring to help.
What I meant to say was, if the shops were reliable as I understood from your first thread. Then if it were my vette I would not take that chance in doing any damage to the car by installing the wheels. And if you drill out the lugs on the wheel to try and get a lug nut to fit you just destroyed the wheel for any resale value. Thank you Sister Mary Margaret for bringing back those memories.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

One reason you have a hard time finding lug nuts might be the 7/16" thread on the studs.
Instead of drilling the rims to fit lug nuts I'd buy new studs (ARP metric 12mm) and nuts that fit this new thread and the rim.
The old studs are weak after so many years, some members have posted about broken studs, some included photos... ... the spacers that are sandwiched between the rim and the axle are junk and very dangerous as they allow the lug nut to loosen. There are spacers that bolt on the axle but a pair is about $100.

Get notified of new replies

To Will These Wheels Go on my '79? How?

Quick Reply: Will These Wheels Go on my '79? How?