Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody drive both C3 and C5 / 6 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 PM
hensen1954
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody drive both C3 and C5 / 6 ??

Ok - progress is progress and in theory cars should get better.

I have both a series 1 E type and a 1981 C3.
So, I can compare them accurately.
The E type is very pretty but the C3 is my home - I feel safe -it has good brakes, good heater, etc. Its a long list of improvement.

Reading the various posts here over the last year or so, are we all trying ( probably in vain ) to turn our C3's into a later Vette ?
We buy more power, more gears, other more modern fittings.

So, my question to a driver who has both Vettes as drivers. Why do you have both,
what are the good or bad features of both old and newer ?
Will they ever meet on the highway and in reality do they even come close ?

My personal choice for the C3 is that I know the technology of those days - I love the "batmobile" shape.

The new Vette does absolutely nothing for me - looks like an old Mazda front with a TR7 rear end.

However, I DO respect its tremendous technology and performance per buck, - even if a cheaper Mustang will beat it per dollar spent at the dealers.

So, sink a Bud and tell me why either works for you - good or bad.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:53 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I have a '82 and '02, they are totally two different animals. For a long time, like you, I did not care for the C5's but around 2000 or so I started taking a second look, after a couple years the interest grew to the point of purchasing one, And I am impressed to say the least.
I keep my C3 stock and still love the looks and ride as much as ever, but feel more secure in the C5, probably just because it's newer, plus I know I have the power when I need it in the C5. So you can say I have both because the C3 is my first love, and the C5 pure excitement is my second love but first choice to drive.
Oh, and stop referencing the Mustang when talking Vettes because the Mustang is a "secretaries car" with a sports car version (check the history), whereas the Vette is a true sports car. You won't find any six cyl. Vettes, unless you go see Bubba.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, the C5 is heads above the C3. It is a very refined car that gets 30 mpg, has a lot of room (for a Vette) and still runs 1/4 miles way faster than most C3 will ever do. I like to tinker and stay busy so I have the C3 that I can adjust the carb on and change parts without dealing with the computer. For pure driving fun...I let the C5 out of the garage.......
Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

"You won't find any six cyl. Vettes, unless you go see Bubba."

That's not exactly true since the "blue flame special" was the engine that started it all, but point taken besides that one caveat.

kdlp
Old 02-01-2006, 05:26 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hvymtlc5
For me, the C5 is heads above the C3. It is a very refined car that gets 30 mpg, has a lot of room (for a Vette) and still runs 1/4 miles way faster than most C3 will ever do. I like to tinker and stay busy so I have the C3 that I can adjust the carb on and change parts without dealing with the computer. For pure driving fun...I let the C5 out of the garage.......
I too have a C5, a 2004 coupe that I bought new, and I just recently picked up a 78 coupe, and I like both of them for pretty much the same reasons as stated above, for refined speed handling and comfort (yes comfort, I traded in a Lincoln LS with that was barely broke in on the C5, and it rides as well as the Lincoln, one I took off the runflats) The C5 is an auto, my new car is just more of a brute, its a 4 speed, I'm going to put a 400 HP crate motor in it. The C3 is more for Cruises, Playin around. Something to tinker with. The C5 with all the computers I'm afraid to touch any thing. (I put LED's in the rear tail light sockets, and the headlight wouldn't open. I took it to the dealer and they said, because the LED's draw so much less current the computer thought the rear lights were burned out so it shut down the headlights to warn me I have a problem) So I guess I won't be messing around to much on the C5. The C5 when I want to dress up, the C3 for jeans and messing around, and for work and everything else, I've got my Truck.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

C5 is my DD.

C3 is my cruiser.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:51 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i just cant stand comfortable 'sports' cars, if i ever wanted to feel safe and comfy i'd buy a cayenne s not a C5/C6, my C3 is as raw as it can be, the old L48 mini pusher went streight away the very moment i got the car in and i've replaced it with a nice and sweet 406ci, the A/C was the second to fly away, then went the heater, the steel lifeguards (front and rear), the leather seats went too a week after, the power windows flied together with the windows and related ancillaries, t-tops are fixed on the car only when i park the car in the garage so dust dont get in, from my veeery personal point of view a sport car is 4 wheels fixed to a chassis and with a big motor in front (plus brakes ), then you let the wind and the symphony of a couple of race exhausts do the rest...
maybe there could be a C6Z in my future if GM launched a stripped version
Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
alanbl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panic
i just cant stand comfortable 'sports' carsversion
So let's see. The bumpers fell off. The A/C and heater don't work. The engine needed to be changed.

Sounds like an Alfa.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
second76
Intermediate

My daily driver is an '05 C6 Z51 coupe manual and I have a '76 C3 coupe auto (soon to be 5sp). I lease a new vette every 4 years for worry free driving. I love both but for very different reasons.

The C3 is my hobby car. It was totally worn out when I bought it so I am enjoying restoring and improving it. Driving the C3 is highly enjoyable because of the sense of accomplishment and the nostalgia of driving a classic car with classic looks. I don't think that I would ever buy a C3 that was already restored because the ride is average and the investment value probably has trouble keeping up with inflation. I love the curves but I am sitting inside the car so that adds very little to my personnal enjoyment.

Driving the C6 is great because it is a great piece of engineering that connects the driver to the road. Thoughts become motion. I don't touch the C6 other than to do basic maintenance. I had an '01 Z06 that I drove over 60,000 miles without anything breaking. I have almost 9000 on the C6 without a care. I enjoy the driving experience of the C6 over the C5. The C6 is extremely comfortable, quiet, has nicer electronics, and is not as fickle as my Z06. The C5/6 are expensive to own when compare them to a C3 and you consider the depreciation and tire replacement.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

An old car is like an old house. A black hole for money. My C3 keeps me working. It's the only black hole I can afford, tho. Larry
Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

the '01 does everything better than my '81. both nothing ever looks as good as an old shark
Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
zrred
Instructor

I have two (2) c3's (68 L89, 72 big block) and a c6.

The roar and feel of the old c3's, it is just heaven! The c6 is faster, handles better, but doesn't have the feel of the old cars. Just two worlds apart. You can almost see the past when driving the c3. They can't be called "better" the truth is they aren't better in any engineering sense, but they make the driver "feel" different. Make no mistakes, that c6 is faster, safer and smoother but it is not a time machine rather a well engineered vehicle which respectfully pays homage to its past. (Don't know if this answers your question.)
Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Rdavis
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 76 Stingray & a 2004 Z06.
The 04 can do everything the 76 can do but twice as well.
It can stomp the crap out of it in both acceleration & top speed.
It can out handle it with out even trying.
It gets much better gas mileage.
It has a more plush interior & all the creature comforts.

BUT it doesn't have the "heart & soul" that the Stingray does.
The Stingray just gives you a good feeling inside when driving it.
I drive the Z06 when I need that "shot of testosterone", it does satisfy that need.

What do I drive more often? I find my self driving the 76 about 10 times more than the 04.
They are both great cars but I guess I was born to drive a C3!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
gavanm01
Pro

After a 27 year hiatus (kids are now grown and gone) I went back for another '69 like I used to have. A friend let me drive his C5 a number of times. All the difference between a jet fighter and barnstorming bi-plane. So, what to do? Yup, gonna put a 454 with a stroke kit in the C3. May not fly as high as the C5, but a C5 doesn't make me feel 27 years younger, either. See you on the road this spring; don't forget to wave.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 PM
MrEldo
Instructor

Jeezis, I drove 2 Alfas for 15 years and I never had those problems...

Could be 'cause I took care of 'em.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

My mom bought a '01, I drive a '75. It may not be as fast as the C5, but it sure does turn a whole lot more heads. And I know how to fix it. No doubt that technology has gotten much better in 30 years, which is why I'm converting to the many modern conveniences like OD and E-fans.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:12 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you can see from my avitar I have 3 corvettes. My 81 which I love, my 95 which I also love and my 02 C5 which I also love. You might say I have 3 lovers . I love each one for what they are, each has it's own style Each has it's own personality and handeling capabilities. I will not choose which one I like best for fear the other two will hear me and start acting up

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody drive both C3 and C5 / 6 ??

Old 02-02-2006, 01:21 AM
BobzVette
Instructor

I have a C1, C3 and C5...Their all GREAT just different

Originally Posted by pcfred
You won't find any six cyl. Vettes, unless you go see Bubba.
Hey, the white one is a six by the General, I don't think Bubba ahd anything to do with! Well, when it was new anyway
Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 AM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alanbl
So let's see. The bumpers fell off. The A/C and heater don't work. The engine needed to be changed.

Sounds like an Alfa.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:49 AM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
As you can see from my avitar I have 3 corvettes. My 81 which I love, my 95 which I also love and my 02 C5 which I also love. You might say I have 3 lovers . I love each one for what they are, each has it's own style Each has it's own personality and handeling capabilities. I will not choose which one I like best for fear the other two will hear me and start acting up
it works the same with women

Quick Reply: Anybody drive both C3 and C5 / 6 ??