kind of O/T: corvette's future

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default kind of O/T: corvette's future

i've been toying with the idea of selling the c5 and maybe buying a c6 but the more i think about it, the less appealing it seems to me.
i'm really conflicted about what i think about the new c6, newer z06 and probably whatever will become the c7, and so on.
while i like the styling of the new c6 and especially the new z06, i feel that it still lacks some of that "in-your-face" flashiness of the c1-c3 bodies. if the new car was out there all by itself, i think it would be a pretty stunning car. however, parked next to the new viper, i can't help feel that a different grill and four round taillights and the viper is more corvette than the c6.
the same kind of goes for performance. the new cars are technological marvels. but do i really want that? personally, no. it bothers me in my c5 all the crap that's in that car. i don't need a light to come on the dash telling me fuel is low and the computer tells me i have an 18 mile range. that's what the gauge is for. if the gauge works like it's supposed to, then the computer between my ears tells me i need to get gas soon. i want a car that goes fast and stops fast, that's why i like corvettes in the first place. granted all that technology is a nice feature but give me the option of taking that out.
with the minimal price difference between the new convertible and the z06, i also contemplated just getting the z06 instead. but after alot of thinking i can't justify it. at the end of the day, for someone like me who will actually have to pay a monthly note for the car, it's just too much. i got into a pissing match with someone on the c6 side about the car. the only way i can see spending that type of money is to take it to the track. then i can't justify taking a car worth that much to a track with the very real possibility of wadding it up. so at the end of the day, it's just oneupsmanship. i could go out and buy the thing and pay 3x more than what i'm paying for the c5 to have it sit in the garage 25 days a month and never take it to a track to actually use it like it's designed.
i'm afraid the corvette just keeps going in that direction. at some point (we may have even passed that point), the car will get so expensive, so technologically advanced and so powerful, that the owner just owns it to own it. it has more stuff than anyone could actually use. even in my mostly stock c5 i can break every speed law in the country (excluding MT) in under 8 seconds. it's fun, but that's just dangerous to be doing on the streets. i'm not taking that one to the track (at least not again) considering it's a convertible. so for the most part, i have it to hold the foundation in my garage down. and when i do take it out, it could do just about everything i ask it to do with a v6.
so maybe it really is sticking to it's origins, being a dream car. wish we could ask zora what he thinks...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well,Zora did want to stick with the smallblock...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Well,Zora did want to stick with the smallblock...
He later changed his mind and considered the C3 BB the best vette ever. I think it was the 74 he declared best.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

"You pays your money, you takes your pick"

I gotta agree with you. It is a big chunk to lay down to get a new Vette. In some ways a C3 ownership experience is nothing like a C6 ownership experience. You have to decide for your self if a C6 represents a good value. It IS sort of like comparing apples and oranges though.

I would love to have a new Z06 but I can honestly say it would be difficult for me to lay down that much cash for it.

-Mark.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
"You pays your money, you takes your pick"

I gotta agree with you. It is a big chunk to lay down to get a new Vette. In some ways a C3 ownership experience is nothing like a C6 ownership experience. You have to decide for your self if a C6 represents a good value. It IS sort of like comparing apples and oranges though.

I would love to have a new Z06 but I can honestly say it would be difficult for me to lay down that much cash for it.

-Mark.
mark, your right about the apples to oranges thing. my c5 does absolutely everything better than the c3. the difference is the psychological reaction when i look at that shark. there isn't much else out there that makes my blood pump just looking at it. the c5 isn't like that, and neither is the c6.
the point is that the c5 is such a good car already that i can't use more than 60% of it's potential on the street, and that's only in short bursts. it's too expensive to take to the track so why would i spend so much more on a newer wondercar that i can't use any more? it would be kind of like putting the QE2 in lake ponchetrain.
don't get me wrong, i'd love to have one and may still buy one someday. but the reality is, unless i become fabulously wealthy (to where wadding up $60k worth of car is no big deal) it would only be so i could say i have it. and for me, that's not a good enough reason.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
bryan27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally am saving my pennies in hopes that the vette will follow the current trend and go retro, like the mustang, mopars, and now the camaro.

these new C5 and C6 space ships just don't do it for me personally.

whatever the price, whatever the equipment, i am BUYING!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Here's my C5 that I sold last October in preparation to get a C6 Z06:

It had a supercharger on it, and put down 454 at the wheels. An absolute beast - and it still got 28 mpg on the highway. I can afford a new Z06 with no problem, but when it came time to place the order, I had the same reservations you expressed. I've had the performance thing, so the new Z06, while no doubt better in every respect than my Z06, just wouldn't be that big a deal to a non-pro such as myself. And at the end of the day, I just wasn't feeling at all emotionally geeked at the prospect of getting a new one, and that's not a good thing when you're dropping 70 large.

So, I bought the C3 you see in my avatar, and I'm having a blast with it. Far more people get excited over this car than my C5, and I can work on the damn thing myself. Sure, it's crude as hell but it has personality.

I anxiously await the C7, but I may get a C6 LT1 and do the museum delivery just for the experience. The C6 isn't a bad daily driver. And I know what you mean about being anything less than a sunshine pumper over on the C6 forum.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:22 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

I'm glad I'm not the only one with these feelings. I sold my C5 in the fall of 04 and by the spring of 05 I knew I wanted another fun car. I considered a C6, but I didn't care for the new looks. I liked the looks of the XLR, but the folding hardtop left too little room in the trunk for my wife's wheelchair. I considered another C5, but decided what I really wanted was the classic looks of a late C3.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

I dont care for the C6. Looks like a bloated Miata. Id love to have a C5 myself. Maybe Ill get one some day.

But I still would rather have a C3. Just because that body style is the one everyone sees in their head when someone says "Corvette". They just dont make cars like that anymore. Well, not in this country.

Get notified of new replies

To kind of O/T: corvette's future

Quick Reply: kind of O/T: corvette's future