Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decode my '72 BB?

Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Lunar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decode my '72 BB?

The '69 Barn find thread has fired me up to find out more about my car, seeing as I also have a CE warranty replacement engine, or so I think. Can anyone help me find out more?

Here is what I know so far (it's not much)
- Originally registered (or built?) 28-02-1972
- imported to Holland in Jan 1998 by a man called Tom Van Starloos
- maintained (restored?) by a company called Lex Classics in Holland
- resprayed at some point (now blue but originally Steel Cities grey?)
- Has a CE engine code.

Here are the numbers I can find
VIN 1Z37W2S513433 ('72 bb Coupe)
Engine number (front pad, drivers side near the AC) - CE463347
Casting number (rear of the block, drivers side) 8999289 - also has a "P" written lengthways underneath and "GM" further up (under the distributor).
Under the carb I have "FIRING ORDER" and "L20*71". And the cylinders are numbered.

Here is the build tag

The engine as it was when I got the car

and the car

Can anyone tell me anything more? Anyone know this car before it was exported? Can anyone tell me where to look on the engine to find more numbers? I haven't looked for the tank build sheet yet, that's something still to do.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:20 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

3999289 is a '72-'79 454 used in passenger cars and trucks. Factory intakes have a 7 or 8 digit casting number often behind the carb or on a runner.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Lunar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ahoover
3999289 is a '72-'79 454 used in passenger cars and trucks. Factory intakes have a 7 or 8 digit casting number often behind the carb or on a runner.
Thanks that already helps!
So then it could be a warranty replacement, or at least dealer fit as it's from the right period? How can I find out more?

I'm currently upgrading things - airfilter, MSD, and now exhaust. Is there any point in keeping the stock items or will it never be "original" with a CE block?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The G08 on your trim tag is February 08. Your car was completed possibly that day or one or two days later. The car was originally painted Steel City gray with a black vinyl interior.

Never, never throw away original parts, someday somebody will want to restore it to factory original and will want them. In any case, the mods you are making won't do much for you in terms of performance, probably more show than go.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Lunar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
The G08 on your trim tag is February 08.
Thanks I didn't know that

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
In any case, the mods you are making won't do much for you in terms of performance, probably more show than go.
Well I agree on the airfilter, but the MSD? The old dizzy was pretty dead, and I had lots of problems with starting and stalling even after replacing all the internals. So it has at least improved the reliability, if not the performance.

If I go for headers as well as exhaust, then I'm expecting some gains. Looking at Zwede's web page for LS5 tuning, seems to release quite a few horses.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decode my '72 BB?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me decode my '72 BB?