C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh Oh, Neighbor crashed his Corvette into his house and burned it down (pic)

Old 02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Vettez16
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fudge nuts! Hope he and his family are okay. That why the houses I build, I embed steel pipe columns in concrete footings and concrete filled them in front of this area. Fire is the least of your worry. Its the explosions that you have to worry about. No time to react. Time saves lives. If he has decent insurance and has a good company, he should be okay. More than likely there could be a pee pee match car vs homewners ins. co. Lets hope not.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm not sure, but looking at the car it looks like he may have one good tail light left.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a real shame that could have been much worse, no doubt. Definitely motivates me to get the e-brake completely fixed before I start driving mine again. I am curious, though, if I lost my brakes doing 30 or so and coming up to an intersection with traffic and put it into Park, what happens? Do the rear wheels lock up and the car skids to a stop or does the transmission leave pieces all over the ground while the car coasts along? For obvious reasons, I've never wanted to try the experiment, but situations like this have made me think about what I could do if I had no brakes and needed to stop right away to avoid an accident.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 RV
Note to self - if brakes go out on the way home, park it where I'm at and call AAA.

That's what sane people do....
Old 02-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Vette Dent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've have a new appreciation for my detached garage. For his sake, I hope he's single!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

wow...............that is amazing.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
adam
Drifting

What happened to feet, drive into grass, anything?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Reminds me of the time in high school, when I accidentally drove through a garage door at a dealership. I had snow and oil on my clunky work boots and was going to put this car inside the shop for security overnight. When I went to stop and get out, I must have hit the gas and brake at the same time. It didn't stop, so I threw it into Park, but it was too late. Oh, and my boss was standing on the other side of the door when I crashed in
Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 PM
nhlgopens
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Damn - sorry about the loss to your friend's house and car. At least he's got his life. The house can be rebuilt and the car was just a C4.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C3nMe
Glad here in Wisconsin, we have all that crap in the basement
The unbelievable thing is that they allow open flames to be in the same room as a car (with fumes and 20+ gallons of gas, not to mention cans of paint, kerosene, cleaner, etc.)...
Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
jester4
Instructor

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController
Reminds me of the time in high school, when I accidentally drove through a garage door at a dealership. I had snow and oil on my clunky work boots and was going to put this car inside the shop for security overnight. When I went to stop and get out, I must have hit the gas and brake at the same time. It didn't stop, so I threw it into Park, but it was too late. Oh, and my boss was standing on the other side of the door when I crashed in
That must have been a subconscious thing.......
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 PM
bahamasair
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Gator
I am curious, though, if I lost my brakes doing 30 or so and coming up to an intersection with traffic and put it into Park, what happens? Do the rear wheels lock up and the car skids to a stop or does the transmission leave pieces all over the ground while the car coasts along?
Throwing it in park doesnt do jack. It will make a noise but wont stop you. I had a ex cut my brake line in my chevy truck while I was inside a hotel working, Where I was parked it was a steep slope that was only about 40' long with a dumpster at the bottom sitting on level ground. I had to move about 10' to get out some of my larger tools and as soon as I put it in drive the pedal went to the floor. I slamed it in park right away and still shot down the slope into the dumpster. The worst part about it was the dumpster was on level ground and I was still on the slope when I hit it so the bumper never hit anything. The front wing took all the impact and hit a piece of 1/2" steel that stuck out the front so it sliced about a foot into the wing and pushed everything back about 4". The door wouldnt open or anything. The ex admitted doing it but I never got any cash for the repairs from the b!tch. I know someone else had to help her by either showing her which line to cut or doing it for her.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamasair
I had a ex cut my brake line in my chevy truck while I was inside a hotel working
Wow! That is way, way over the top no matter how mad someone is at you. I'm glad you weren't hurt or worse. Sorry you had to find the answer to my question this way, but it's good to know that Park won't stop a moving car. I'm also thinking that it may be safer if I stopped encouraging my wife to learn more about how my car is put together.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 PM
bahamasair
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After she told me she did it she told me she loved me and said she wanted me back lmao.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Dobermann
Drifting

Which part of 'Bama did this happen in, I may know where it is at.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
RLS
Instructor

As the dude in the John Wanye movie McClintock said "where the Wiskey"
Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
ThereIsNoSpoon
Pro

Hopefully everybody is okay

Get notified of new replies

To Uh Oh, Neighbor crashed his Corvette into his house and burned it down (pic)

Old 03-02-2006, 09:17 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController

Reminds me of a storey. A friend of mine had a stereo shop that kept getting robbed. So he put bars on all the front windows and doors. The next time the bad guys crashed through the rear bay door. So he had holes drilled in the floor inside the shop about 4 feet from the bay door and installed steel/concrete posts. The next time they crashed through the bay door their pickup truck hit the posts and was totalled. The alarm of course went off the police showed up and arrested the two guys.

Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
...well, at least he didn't run it into a gas station.
He probably would have been better off if he had hit a pump in a station, Paul. At least the pumps have automatic shut off valves built in to stop the flow of gas in that situation. Obviously, a home setup doesn't. Awful shame, I'm glad that they weren't injured severely or killed. Makes me worry since my gas furnace is sitting in the garage right in front of the Vette. Time to go look for an automatic shutoff valve, I think....

Steve
Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Steve's74
He probably would have been better off if he had hit a pump in a station, Paul. At least the pumps have automatic shut off valves built in to stop the flow of gas in that situation. Obviously, a home setup doesn't. Awful shame, I'm glad that they weren't injured severely or killed. Makes me worry since my gas furnace is sitting in the garage right in front of the Vette. Time to go look for an automatic shutoff valve, I think....

Steve
Or just move the bloody thing. My garage, water heater and furnace are all in the basement (but electric units...no gas to play with) - but if a car gets to either of them, I'd be more worried about the house collapsing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Uh Oh, Neighbor crashed his Corvette into his house and burned it down (pic)