Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Number Matching Cars What happens to them

With Gm being in finanicial trouble and wanting to generate money, they will soon be selling blocks, heads intake manifolds and other items with cast dates in the mid 60s to early 70s. This is to cash in on the muscle car craze. On Ebay there is 67 427/435 intake manifold with 2 different cast dates in 66 and 67 for sale brand new. The 3x2 carb setup is available too with correct date codes to match the intake brand new also. Soon you will be able to build a "correct" cast and numbers matching engine from a 67 vette lets say, from parts made in 2006. With "original" build sheet and frame stencil and other identity parts easily purchased how will you be sure you are buying a car with parts in it from 1967 and not new ones from 2006. What will happen to the price of the C3s especially numbers matching ones when this comes to pass? I'm pretty sure you will see a lot more 67 427/435s numbers matching cars hitting the market soon. There has been a lot of real L88 blocks been on Ebay recently wonder why, houstonvett
Old 03-02-2006, 04:51 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

The technology exists to detect frauds from the real deal and is being used by those that understand both the technology and the nuances that differentiate one from the other. If you've got the money to pony up for sought after modelss...it would be wise to invest in an expert who can authenticate originality from fraud.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If someone were able to make 100% undetectable 'replica' parts on a production scale, then the market value of all genuine parts would not exceed that of the replicas. No one would pay a premium for the real thing in other words.

Since there would be so many replicas available, the laws of supply and demand would dictate that none of the items would be worth much.

So much for making someone rich.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:30 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonvett
With Gm being in finanicial trouble and wanting to generate money, they will soon be selling blocks, heads intake manifolds and other items with cast dates in the mid 60s to early 70s. This is to cash in on the muscle car craze. On Ebay there is 67 427/435 intake manifold with 2 different cast dates in 66 and 67 for sale brand new. The 3x2 carb setup is available too with correct date codes to match the intake brand new also. Soon you will be able to build a "correct" cast and numbers matching engine from a 67 vette lets say, from parts made in 2006. With "original" build sheet and frame stencil and other identity parts easily purchased how will you be sure you are buying a car with parts in it from 1967 and not new ones from 2006. What will happen to the price of the C3s especially numbers matching ones when this comes to pass? I'm pretty sure you will see a lot more 67 427/435s numbers matching cars hitting the market soon. There has been a lot of real L88 blocks been on Ebay recently wonder why, houstonvett
Who is the "they" you refer to, General Motors? Not that I doubt you ,,,but where are you getting this from,,, ? Peace,,, Moosie
Old 03-02-2006, 08:33 AM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
If someone were able to make 100% undetectable 'replica' parts on a production scale, then the market value of all genuine parts would not exceed that of the replicas. No one would pay a premium for the real thing in other words.

Since there would be so many replicas available, the laws of supply and demand would dictate that none of the items would be worth much.

So much for making someone rich.

I think GM has the proven ability to make the parts undetectable and in great quanity if they choose to. They still have the original casts and tooling to do so. Since you can buy a early style Camaro body from the firewall back including doors and trunk deck lid now for about 14k brand new that should be a sign of things to come from GM. Question for hunt4cleanair how would the experts be able to tell the difference? If the block, heads and intake all have the same metallergic make up as the originals how could the experts tell? Most experts rely on cast dates and numbers, pad stampings and paper work for their answers. Since the ability to make fraudulent gas tank and build sheets along with the window sticker has advanced tremendously how could anyone be really sure of what they are buying. houstonvett
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Who is the "they" you refer to, General Motors? Not that I doubt you ,,,but where are you getting this from,,, ? Peace,,, Moosie

From more then one vendor who is reproduceing the original parts again there Moosie. Thats why you are starting to see GM original parts markings on new pieces such as chrome bumpers for C3s. The early Camaros bodies sales has convinced GM what to do. Since they are a giant corp. takes them a long time to get things done. From a economical point of view GM doesn't have to spend too much money to get things up and running again. They have all the pieces allready in place to put things back in production cheaply, houstonvett
Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you honestly think that G.M. would try to get out of its financial difficulties by flooding the market with "bogus parts", but if indeed they were cast/manufactured by G.M. they wouldnt be bogus,, just factory replacements ,,, I dont think so,, as large as the market could be for those parts the market would soon be flooded and then what ? That replica '69 Camaro is made in Japan or China or ????? and not by G.M. For years replacement parts, blocks, short blocks, even complete engine assemblies transmissions , intakes , carbs, almost anything you'd care to spend your money on has been available over the counter. I dont think that their parts division is equipped to bail them out,,, the new car sales is their money maker. And still,,, who is the "they" ? Is the intake on e-bay that you speak of a G.M. auction or private seller ? Peace,,,Moosie
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that would save GM. There execs all have their heads in a hole. My last "new" GM purchase was in 1991. I'll never buy another one.Lousy quality,lousy service, lousy resale.

Jim
Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 AM
junkman104
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdp6000
I'm not sure that would save GM. There execs all have their heads in a hole. My last "new" GM purchase was in 1991. I'll never buy another one.Lousy quality,lousy service, lousy resale.

Jim
I disagree, Bought a new 1990 C1500 which I still have with 397,000 miles on it. Bought a new 2004 Silverado and am very happy with it so far with the 100,000 miles put on it. The wife had to have a new 05 Monte carlo and she loves it. Resale on the throw-away cars does suck but last year we sold her 96 Impala SS for 10,000 with 140k miles on it. GM Made a bad mistake when they quit making a full size rear wheel drive car. Ford cleaned house on police and city vehicles (but they arent in much better shape).

Rant over.

Last edited by junkman104; 03-02-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

While GM may bring back some of the hot parts that we all would love to have,most likely they would be made with improvements,better flow,stronger whatever.Myself,I cant wait to buy a NEW 302 for my 64 Nova.Its just a matter of time............Im waiting.Personally Id love to see something blow a hole in this crock of $hit Barret-Jackson mentality everybody seems to have that has something to sell.A $10,000 carb?The same thing thats going on with B-J today happened in the late 80s.Prices went through the roof,leveled off and within a few years everything was normal.Over a $100K for an early 70s ZR-1? Nice cars,but not that nice.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 03-02-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
RequiemNightmare
Instructor

To hell with #s matching, I want a car thats better than stock
Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

:Since you can buy a early style Camaro body from the firewall back including doors and trunk deck lid now for about 14k brand new that should be a sign of things to come from GM.
GM is NOT the company producing those Camaro bodies (it's Dynacorn)...and from what I hear, a Camaro expert can easily tell the difference. They're good, but not perfect.

Originally Posted by RequiemNightmare
To hell with #s matching, I want a car thats better than stock
Damn straight.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Jim
You don't say if you own any GM vehicles newer than 91. If not, then how would you know about GM quality, 15 years later?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
You don't say if you own any GM vehicles newer than 91. If not, then how would you know about GM quality, 15 years later?
Ya think it got any better?ive got a 2001 GMC truck and this thing is so cheap I cring everytime something touches the body.GM hasnt got a clue.Gas is climbing towards $3.00 a gallon and they are throwing billions at a new truck line,mean while the Japanese are walking away once again with the market in hybrids or what ever they call those turds.GM hasnt got a clue.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

From more then one vendor who is reproduceing the original parts again there Moosie. Thats why you are starting to see GM original parts markings on new pieces such as chrome bumpers for C3s. The early Camaros bodies sales has convinced GM what to do. Since they are a giant corp. takes them a long time to get things done. From a economical point of view GM doesn't have to spend too much money to get things up and running again. They have all the pieces allready in place to put things back in production cheaply, houstonvett
Uhhhh ... let's think about this for a minute - now why would I want a 40 or 50 year old piece of something or other for my car "IF" and I say "IF" I can get it "brand new" OEM from GM from the same molds and casts? I go for NOS on items when I can find em - I'd like to see GM start producing the parts that break a lot or get damaged - seatbelts for one, Nose and trunk emblems for another. The list goes on and on ...............
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Jim
Funny I bought my '94 Firebird and '95 Z28 used and they were nothing but absolutely reliable.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

My dad has an 03 (I think) Suburban. Good, reliable vehicle. I still like my '00 Cherokee, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Number Matching Cars What happens to them

Old 03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

According to JD Power & Associates, Chevrolets are almost as reliable as BMWs. The most reliable brands from first to fifth are Lexus, Porsche, Licoln, Buick, and Cadillac.

Here's the JD Power article on it
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

From what I am seeing no one manufacturer has much up on another anymore. They are all building a quality product. The paint is all perfect, body seams perfect, no squeaks, rattles, etc. I have had a couple of Fords, a Chevy and Hondas over the last 10 years and they are all real good now. It comes to down to price and what you like. For the guy saying GM is crap I would have to agree with the one who said your last one was in 1991, how would you know now. A lot has changed since then. I have a one year old Equinox and that thing is built well. One minor warranty issue, doesn't even need brakes until 60k. What boggles me is that GM sold 8.7 million cars and lost money. Beat Toyota by almost a mill. that tells me they sell plenty of product, just need to reduce overhead to make a profit. When you have market share it shouldn't be too tough to make money again. Before the Japanese hit our shores with cars you could say a manufacturer was crap and I woul dnever buy one, today they are all robotic built and copy each other's designs and good points. When I was young Ford was a four letter word...all pieces of pure crap. Nowadays the Fords I owned were damn good.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by moosie982

Know some folks that are getting parts from Goodmark Industries which produce a lot of GM liscensed products. It will cost GM next to nothing to start this up and will all be done with sub-contracts suppling the parts, people such as Goodmark. GM has all the casts sitting there and they give to sub-contractor to let him worry about the logistics of it getting sold. Here is the link on Ebay for the intake and Carbs these on this manifold are rebuilt but you can get date coded ones from Holley I believe http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...QQcmdZViewItem, houstonvett

Last edited by houstonvett; 03-02-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Number Matching Cars What happens to them