Sponsored by:

Body Work Help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:47 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Body Work Help...

I am about ready to take the body to get media blasted and start the body work and I came upon this problem. My convertible deck lid is seperating from itself at the drivers side. The top and bottom on the drivers side edge is coming apart from one another. What would you do to fix this problem?

I plan on having the body work done but want to have an idea of what im looking at when I go to the body shop. I also want to know what to tell the body man that I want done to correctly fix the problem.

Thanks for any help you guys and gals can offer! Here are some pics of the problem.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:45 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The body shop will probably squirt a 2 part adhesive into the crack and then clamp it until it's dry. The glue usually costs about $35 per tube. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:47 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Thank you for your help! Will anything else need to be done to smooth the edges or would you just let it go like that once they are sealed together?

Thank you again for posting!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:49 PM
fl_rider
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're more trusting than I am....

Everything I have read here has indicated that media blasting can cause a lot of problems.

Just my .02

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:51 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

I heard sand blasting was a major no no but I thought other media that was softer could be used without much thought. Ill have to re think my plans if this isnt the case.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:53 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If any adhesive squeezes out, it can be sanded off when it's dry.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:17 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleJake
I heard sand blasting was a major no no but I thought other media that was softer could be used without much thought. Ill have to re think my plans if this isnt the case.

Thanks!
Most of the regulars here know how I feel about media blasting fiberglass, I would rather you use another approach like hand sanding and/or chemical stripping (the latter as a last resort). Many years ago we had a CNC water jet that we used to cut steel plate with. Even plain water at high pressure is dangerous!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I had some areas on my 81 that looked like that around the dog leg of the quarter panel, bottoms and fronts of front fenders. I tugged on them and to my suprise, the panels came free even beyond where the seam was cracked. The panels didn't come all the way off, obviously, but where the seams were cracked, the joint must have been pretty weak. I spread the gap as much as I could with a screwdriver, blew it out and worked some folded 80 grit sandpaper up and down the seams so the new adhesive would have something to "bite" to. I opened the gap at the seam and squirted some new adhesive in there and clamped it down. I used the 2-part stuff by duramix.

Mark G
Old 03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gathered that big_G owns his own body shop a regularly repaints vettes, so... I'm convinced.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Work Help...

Quick Reply: Body Work Help...