Sponsored by:

Cigarette Lighter Conversion to 12V Power Adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter Conversion to 12V Power Adaptor

Silly as it may sound, how do y'all charge your cell phone, iPod, etc. in these older cars??? Is there an accessory available to install a 12v power adaptor and where is the best place to buy it? Is it possible to make the conversion where the cigarette lighter is? I have a 72' coupe.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I am confused... You can buy a car charger that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter in a 72 is the same size as a moder car, so the car charger you buy today for your phone should fit in the 72's lighter, right?

what kind of phone do you have? The cellphone provider can sell you a car charger that fits your phone. Alternatively Radio Shack probably has one that will fit your phone. Other online vendors have it too. The only hard part is that just about every phone takes a slightly different type of adaptor. There is very little interchange.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:38 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

Default 12V Converter to AC

See, I said it was a silly question. Actually, we were trying to use an AC converter plug. It works in our newer cars, but does not fit in the vette. We use it for the computer, gameboy, etc. The brand is Fellowes. Is it possible that another brand will fit our vette?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:41 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

What appliance are you trying to run? Cellphones work on DC, so you wouldn't want an AC converter, just a small transformer to get the 12 volts from the car battery down to 3 or 4 for the cellphone.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

We want to occasionally plug in a boombox and hate to use 10 D batteries each time. Our car is all original - don't plan on switching out the Delco radio any time soon. This was the only other idea we can come up with for better sound.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:53 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

My iPod, cell phone, etc. all have car chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter. You can also get an adapter that plugs into your cigarette lighter and has a couple of three-prong outlets like you find on the wall of your house. I bought one at Target, and used it to power iPod speakers. Works great on my '71.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:59 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

It's possible that the converter that we are trying to use just doesn't fit. Maybe we'll try another brand. What iPod speakers did you buy? Maybe we'll just use speakers instead. My daughter has a Nano and there seems to be plenty of iPod accessories for it. I just purchased the new Samsung YP-Z5 and can't find any accessories to go with it. I wanted to purchase a whole new in-dash radio with an auxiliary output, but just can't bring myself to switch out the old Delco for originalities sake. I am just desperate to get better sound in that car!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:17 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a suggestion that may be your easiest solution overall since you say you have an iPod.
If you pull out your original radio you can send it one of many of the radio repair places. They can wire in an AUX input line. Than simply reinstall your factory radio back in. That keeps the stock radio as you desire and you can now plug the iPod straight into the radio to hear the music thru your factory system. It's a basic single connection cord to plug the iPod in that way.
If you need to charge the iPod they make an adapter that will plug the iPod in your standard cig. lighter in the car for charging.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:22 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

That sounds like a plan, but the original system sounds terrible. What else can I do to get a better sounding system without too much modification and expense?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:47 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

anypaws, there are a number of options - all depending on how much you are willing to spend (big surprise huh?).
the first one is one that appeals to me greatly and is the method I'll be doing on my '65 when the time comes.
Again, many of the radio repair places offer an "upgrade" to the factory radios. They can swap out the insides of the radio with all new electronis including digital tuning and higher powered built in amps. The radio looks exactly like the factory radio still but the sound is upgraded. Than you can repalce your old factory speakers with newer speakers.
Because of the limited size of the factory speakers in the dash you are never going to get a great kick*ss sound but it will at least be an improvement.
The advantage to this is a system that still looks 100% stock from outward appearance but with a definite upgrade in sound quality.
It's not cheap, but not that much more than what it would cost to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit and speakers plus you can also now have the AUX imput line to hook up the iPod that most aftermarket units aren't going to offer, except the units in the upper price ranges.Also, I have yet to see an aftermarket radio that looks appropriate and looks good in the dash of a classic car
Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

I had also thought about that option. Do you think that a local radio repair shop can do this modification or does it need to go back to a Corvette supply house such as Eckler's? I would assume that they would send the radio out somewhere???

Then what would you recommend for speakers? I am afraid to have the dash pulled out to replace the speakers since it already has a small crack on one side where the speaker holes are. I don't feel like springing for a new dash at this time...
Old 03-04-2006, 04:27 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

most local places are only set up for a basic repair, not a conversion although that's not to say you may not be able to find a place local to you that can do it.

Sending it to any of the parts suppliers is a waste of time, they don't do this work.
there are a number of places that specialize in vintage radio work for older cars.
I have a few places saved in my favorites but since I've been lazy lately I must have 200 hundred links saves without being organized in any way so until I organize them it's always hit or miss if I can find any links I'm looking for.
Here is one place though and there are are a number of others.
http://www.geocities.com/joesclassiccarradio/

for speakers, we need to know what year car you have.
I'm mainly a C2 guys but just picked up a '78. i know the later model C3's use 4x6" speakers in the dash that are very easy to get to from the top.
On the older C3's I am not sure of the size or how to access them. hopefully someone else will chime in on that for you
Old 03-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anypaws
We want to occasionally plug in a boombox and hate to use 10 D batteries each time. Our car is all original - don't plan on switching out the Delco radio any time soon. This was the only other idea we can come up with for better sound.
Did you say you have an Ipod. Buy the car adapter for the Ipod & you can play all your music though your stock radio. I have 1500 songs on my Ipod and it works/sounds great. You can swap out the stock speakers for better ones and still keep the car looking original.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:46 PM
anypaws
Intermediate

My car is a 72'. I just spoke with a guy from Texas who deals in classic car radios. He said that when the original Delco radios are upgraded, parts are taken from another cheap radio. The upgrades being done are not "quality". He himself does not perform this kind of work, but that is what he heard was being done.

This leaves me with only two alternatives: a Custom Auto Sound radio which fits in the original opening without any modification or a total changeout of the entire system (very costly).

What is the quality of the sound in these Custom Auto Sound radios? Has anyone tried the Secret Audio with the hidden amp and receiver?
Old 03-04-2006, 08:09 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

We have these speakers...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TE207LL%2FA

Mainly for listening to music in the kitchen, on vacation in the hotel room, etc. We did use it for listening to music in the '71 on the way from Seattle to Napa, CA last summer. Sounded better than the stock radio.

Get notified of new replies

To Cigarette Lighter Conversion to 12V Power Adaptor

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Conversion to 12V Power Adaptor