C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross-county road trip in my 69?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:28 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was in your situation I would do it in a minute. If you are going on terminal I would swing up through the north and go through Wyoming (Devils tower area) and down through the Black Hills of South Dakota. Ellsworth AFB is right out side of Rapid City and has great billeting. Back down through Nebraska and Colorado is pretty nice too. Keep everyone filled in. If you make it to Middle GA. give me a shout.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:37 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettecris
I will be going to Dalton, GA, near Chattanooga TN, 2 hrs N. of ATL.

What kind of precautions should I take into account? I don't want it to turn into a 1500 mile tow bill. Also, I have never done a trip like this. Anyone have a good route to suggest? I'd like a casual senic drive that hits some nice areas, lie maybe route 66, etc.

Also, do you think it would be possible to save a few bucks and take a tent? I like to camp, am young enough to sleep on the ground and not have to visit the chiropracter. I figured I might be able to camp out at rest areas and camp grounds. By the way, I will have a 70 lbs golden retreiver named Baxter with me. Think he will be ok for the trip?

The problem will be room in the vette not available. Before you roll do a general main safety check, tie rod ends, brakes, shocks, do a tune up, change the oil and fluids, and pack a tool bag with enought to fix anything from a waterpump to a blown gasket. If you have the tools chances are you wont need em. plan the route whicevey way you want to see black hills and dakotas up north, then south through st luis and down to emephis then over, or the souther route alond nevade new mexico texas and such. if you can find a tent small enough finebut keep in mind space is very limited. also flash light, some kind of jack, a spare if you dont have on and a jack!

PM me I can give you a pretty good run down on what you might need or want to see
Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like everyone is up for it! I just wonder how old Baxter would fare on the trip. He doesn't get car-sick, and I think he might even enjoy the ride.

Spare tire is the only thing I need but am missing. I dont have a spare carrier assembly (missing when I bought the car) but I do have a wheel/tire to put under there. I have a 2 man tent, which would be perfect for camping.

Another thing I need suggestions on is the dog. Do you think he will be ok? That is another reason I want to avoid the cities and try for camp grounds. He is pretty energetic, so I wonder if he will be able to sit still for hours at a time? I have never travelled that far with a pet, especially not a 70 lbs golden retreiver. Any pointers?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Sounds like everyone is up for it! I just wonder how old Baxter would fare on the trip. He doesn't get car-sick, and I think he might even enjoy the ride.

Spare tire is the only thing I need but am missing. I dont have a spare carrier assembly (missing when I bought the car) but I do have a wheel/tire to put under there. I have a 2 man tent, which would be perfect for camping.

Another thing I need suggestions on is the dog. Do you think he will be ok? That is another reason I want to avoid the cities and try for camp grounds. He is pretty energetic, so I wonder if he will be able to sit still for hours at a time? I have never travelled that far with a pet, especially not a 70 lbs golden retreiver. Any pointers?
no pointyer really other that you will have to make more frequent stops for him
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweethence
no pointyer really other that you will have to make more frequent stops for him
True. I dont mind, since without cruise control and overdrive, I might have to make frequent stops for me, too. Plus, I drink water like a fish, so...
Old 04-11-2006, 03:21 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Ok, here is my quick, preliminary run-down, even some of the obvious stuff:

To do:
check luids (PS, brakes, trans, engine, washer, gear oil)
n ew wiper blades (need them anyways)
spark plugs & wires
oil change
tire pressure & tread including spare
check lug nuts

To have with me:
general tools
extra qt of oil, 2 qt trans fluid,
maybe small jug for water or gas?
jack
tire iron
flares
cell phone
sun screen (for t-top-less days)
coveralls
emergency # list
leash & stake for Baxter

Things I dont have but must get:
spare tire carrier

Any additions? Edits?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Ok, here is my quick, preliminary run-down, even some of the obvious stuff:

To do:
check luids (PS, brakes, trans, engine, washer, gear oil)
n ew wiper blades (need them anyways)
spark plugs & wires
oil change
tire pressure & tread including spare
check lug nuts

To have with me:
general tools
extra qt of oil, 2 qt trans fluid,
maybe small jug for water or gas?
jack
tire iron
flares
cell phone
sun screen (for t-top-less days)
coveralls
emergency # list
leash & stake for Baxter

Things I dont have but must get:
spare tire carrier

Any additions? Edits?

Take a good look at you front suspension ball joints tie rod ends idler arm, and give everthing a good greasing, Check your brake lines for wear or leaking, water in an antifreeze container maybe even two if your gonna cross the desert

torque wrench - just in case

and a chiltons

if you have points, bring along two condensors and an extra set of points

Last edited by sweethence; 04-11-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:02 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds like a lot of fun. I live for Corvette road trips.
Something I haven't seen mentioned so far is the rear wheel bearings. Do you know when they've been serviced? You don't want a Corvette specific part like this failing outside of Tucumcari NM. Otherwise make sure you're covered on all the standard stuff (belts, hoses, tires, etc.). I like to carry a spare fuel pump and ignition module along with wrenches, multi bit screwdriver, fix a flat, deep well sockets, duct tape, wire, and of course a cell phone.
What rear end ratio do you have? If it's 3.36 or higher you won't have much fun on the interstate. If you're not in a big hurry the two lane roads are a lot more fun and interesting. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:14 PM
SwedeAWACS
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the drive Marine!

You served your country, you deserve to see and enjoy it all.

Don't worry about breaking down. Even IF you break down, This isn't the sandbox, this is America; and America LOVES her men and women in uniform. If you need help, it will be there for you, I can almost guarantee.

If you need some extra confidence, I'm guessing you own a "backup". Not sure all the legal issues, but if you store it properly you should be fine on the ride. Might be handy if you're camping alone with Baxter.

Just need to do a little mission planning, work out alternates, and press.

Thanks for your service!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

My wife and I have taken our 69 on NCRS road tours from Baltimore to St. Louis, and from Baltimore to Bowling Green. We've also taken it to Montauk, Long Island.

Ours is a 427/400 with THM 400 trans. Drives like a dream. Doesn't pass many gas stations, however.

We would get about 200+ miles, and have to stop for gas.

Had fun on all the trips. NO mechanical problems except one, and that was in Louisville, KY.

We had to bleed the brakes due to air pumping and continuing loss of pedal. After I got back from that trip, I had the rotors trued for runout on the car. NO problems since. Chuck
Old 04-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Do it and you will never regret it. swing in here to south fla we can have a beer
Florida is the worst state to drive through ever. It takes 7-8 hours to get out of it.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
michael c. volpe
Pro

i did a road trip from chicago, to arizona, and back to new jersey. (should NEVER have come back)
bring a map. a GOOD map.
see the grand canyon.
if you do drive through flagstaff, stop at jakes bar and get a cheeseburger. well worth it. it is well worth the trip.
see as much of new mexico as you can, including the contintental divide.
the ride through the desert is great, but make sure you have PLENTY of water for muttly.
parts of route 66 are gone, but there ARE hotels along some parts, including new mexico. be careful of route 40 in new mexico.
some people are knuckleheads.
when you stop, make sure the windows are open for the dog!!!!

if your dog is anything like mine, there will relish the time with you, regardless of what you are doing. look for some pet friendly hotels if you don't want to rough it every night.

bring a leash (dogs have instincts, no matter how well trained)
BRING WATER!!!!!
take a camera, and enjoy it. i did.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Do the drive and enjoy,you deserve it.Thinking about driving my 70 from here in New Jersey to Illinois in June for Bloomington Gold as my friend is thinking about driving his newly completed 62 Z06 hybrid.Anyway good luck with your trip and be safe...JERRY
Old 04-11-2006, 05:58 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am based in IA. I have taken my 69 to CA three times and NH countless times. I have taken my 61 to NH several times. I love taking them on cross country trips. I had a few problems, but with cell phones you are never stranded.

I did sieze a couple of alternators (I run them with a big pulley now) and lost a fuel pump. Make sure your parts have less than 100K miles on them and that your cooling system and belts are in good shape.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
jomor
Racer

Go for it, take lots of pix and post them here when you're done. Everyone here will be with you in spirit, I'm sure. And I would think you will never be far from a forum member, should you need a hand! Any suggestions on identifying members on his route, folks.

Being from Gander, Canada, we see a lot of you American troops rotating through with yer "sand jammies" on! Just want you to know Canadians do appreciate the sacrifices our and your troops make each day for the world good.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:44 PM
my red 81
Instructor

run rt 66 has much as you can rt66 gos just nort of ok city you can pick up i40 to nashville i24 down to ga,some thing like that.
there is still some of old america or what was of it on rt 66.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Go for it. enjoy the ride you've earned it see the country and enjoy it

Get notified of new replies

To Cross-county road trip in my 69?

Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I only wish it was me !

I have hinted around about wanting to do a trip from Tallahassee to DC - it may happen

Like Chuck says, 200 miles then a tank of gas. If you are crossing I-10, there are plenty of fuel stations, just be sure to top off before you run through a stretch of desert, particularly late night - those stations like to close early sometimes.

For sure DO IT - take the trip - it will be a great adventure! The opportunity may not present itself again for a while.

Good luck - hope to see pics.

Bill
Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Yes

I would absolutely take that trip! What a blast it will be.

As far as protecting yourself from hassles, after you have a general idea of your route, I would recommend going to the regional sections and asking about Vette friendly shops along the way. Compile a list of these places, or even call ahead, just in case. If you have AAA-Plus I think they will flatbed you for free up to one-hundred miles, after that it's per mile. This way even if disaster strikes you can get to help and get back on the road as soon as possible. As far as taking a tent and a dog I hope you have a luggage rack! Seriously just be careful at the sort of place you camp at. I went cross country a few years ago and some campgrounds are a little shady; I was wary of pulling up to some of them in my '93 Mercury Sable rustbucket, let alone a '69 Vette. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Joe

Last edited by cicconjo; 04-11-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:59 PM
hdman1962
Racer

I think camping out when you can is a very good idea,I have been on cross country motorcycle trips and find that campgrounds are very nice. You get to meet a lot of people that you wouldnt if you were staying a motel.Most all of them have nice shower rooms and also laundries. As as these cars are you will have lots of people wanting to chat, that is if you like that sort of thing.Also it costs a lot less . As others have said thank you much for your service

Quick Reply: Cross-county road trip in my 69?