Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross-county road trip in my 69?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

When I took my 69 from Pittsburgh to Ft. Lauderdale, I had no problems at all. The car ran like a champ. When I took it to Oklahoma, I had put a new belt on it before I left and threw the old one in the car just in case. The new belt shredded just as I was pulling into OK City. Put the old one back on, and it lasted for years after that. Then on the way home a bolt for the sidepipe hangar broke, but other than that everything was fine.

I might be a little concerned about a dog that big since it might be hard for him to lay down on the seat. Not sure that he'll be comfortable sitting for that long. But maybe a 40 lb dog isn't as big as I think. I have a 130 lb Great Dane and wouldn't even think about taking her in the vette.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is 70 lbs. I have considered taking out the passenger seat and putting it with my belongings that are going to be shipped home. That would give him tons of room.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettecris
He is 70 lbs. I have considered taking out the passenger seat and putting it with my belongings that are going to be shipped home. That would give him tons of room.

That is actually a really good idea
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

First of all, I say GO FOR IT!

If I was in your shoes I'd start a new thread and post your route with approx. dates. Then ask for volunteers to chime in as a possible place for you to park, do maint, etc should you experience a problem. Depends on your route but I've got you covered across North Alabama, say from Corinth MS to Nashville to Chattanooga...hell, you're almost home then!

Also, set up a blog on the CF for us to follow...take a lap top and digital camera...easy to set up if you have the know how...use your cell phone as a modem for the laptop or find a Wi-Fi hot spot (route your trip via Starbucks) and upload posts/pictures daily…we'll live vicariously through your trip!

Last thing, like others posted, my only concern is with your rear-wheel bearings. No real way to tell how much slop is in them and they don't give much of a warning prior to letting go/seizing up. Do you have history of them being serviced? They are most likely the only "Corvette" specific thing that could go wrong and side-track your trip. So you trailer the car the rest of the way home!

Good luck and Semper Fi Mac!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:19 PM
1Z87L8
Drifting

and if no one has mentioned it yet, with the amount of people on this list im sure if you got in to any trouble there would be plenty of people to the rescue along the way.

heck, if i was on your route i would even put you and the pup up for the night.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:56 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely do it! When I drove to MI to pick up my 68, we took the scenic route through Yellowstone, MT Rushmore, Devils Tower, Mall of America, and Michigans UP to the Canadian border. Best vacation I ever went on! My wife could not believe how big this country is(she's from the Philippines) and how much there is to see!
Promised my relatives in MI I'd drive the car back so they can see it(they all remember what kind of shape it was in before), now after reading this thread, I think it's time to live up to that promise....

Have a safe trip!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:19 AM
jpw73vert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar. Check out this website for some good ideas including scenic drives through the western US: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplanning/.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:42 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Well, I fixed my radio, so that will be a plus for the trip. I think I have about decided to do it. This weekend I am going to do a full check on my car, just to make sure everything looks ok.

I am going to use rv.com and a few other sites to try and plan a basic route. I really want to stick to a semi-direct route from San D to Dalton, so I dont think I am going to make it too far north. I will post a preliminary route idea here in a bit. You all can help me edit it to hit some important sites along the way.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

BTW, any other good websites on planning a route? I dont know how to even begin!

I just know I want to see the Crand Canyon and Rt 66. What else would be worth seeing that isn't a huge detour?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Here are some more ideas. Any of these feasible to visit?

Yellowstone
River Dam
Yosemite
Painted Hills
Alamo

I am not planning on staying at any place too long, if that makes any difference.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Dobermann
Drifting

Here are some more ideas. Any of these feasible to visit?

Yellowstone
River Dam
Yosemite
Painted Hills
Alamo

I am not planning on staying at any place too long, if that makes any difference.

The painted Hills are scenic, and if I remember correctly they're close to the Grand Canyon.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 PM
alanbl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I think it's a great idea! And, if you decide to come through Colorado, please know that you and Baxter have a place to stay in Boulder. You're both welcome at my house. Have a spare bedroom and I'd vacate one bay of the garage for your Vette. My two mutts like Goldens!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:29 PM
pef427
Burning Brakes

Hey Cris,
If you come thru Texas on I-10 you and Baxter have a room waiting. Didn't I send you a Ram-Air hood a year or two back??? I hope it worked. This will be a trip you will never forget...good or bad. No step for a Marine.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:27 AM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

What a grand idea!! The marine heads cross country in the old vette, stopping at various vette persons houses for overnights and updates to the corvette forum...........I'm sold..........

Do it man...........and if you are coming through Jackson, Ms (which you may be)........my house is open!!

Rock on!!

Oh......if you don't have a laptop computer, get one, with a wireless card. You can pull up into almost any subdivision and get online for free!!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:01 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

We drove the 78 from San Diego to Virginia and back just over 3 years ago...drove mainly two lanes after Albuquerque via US 50 thru Kansas/Missouri,etc...interstates are a complete bore..get the book "Road Trip USA"....cross country adventures on America's two-lane highways...you will have a blast..we did..
Rich
Old 04-14-2006, 07:41 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be going to Dalton, GA, near Chattanooga TN, 2 hrs N. of ATL.

What kind of precautions should I take into account? I don't want it to turn into a 1500 mile tow bill. Also, I have never done a trip like this. Anyone have a good route to suggest? I'd like a casual senic drive that hits some nice areas, lie maybe route 66, etc.

Also, do you think it would be possible to save a few bucks and take a tent? I like to camp, am young enough to sleep on the ground and not have to visit the chiropracter. I figured I might be able to camp out at rest areas and camp grounds. By the way, I will have a 70 lbs golden retreiver named Baxter with me. Think he will be ok for the trip?
tent, dog, clothes, where are you going to sit?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gator79
tent, dog, clothes, where are you going to sit?

and where willyou put the t-tops

Get notified of new replies

To Cross-county road trip in my 69?

Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

pef427, yes, you did sell me the hood. i just put it on last week...!

My tent is very compact, and being a guy, I wont need much clothes and accessories. I guess I will have to do a test pack and see what kind of room I'm looking at.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I will be going to Dalton, GA, near Chattanooga TN, 2 hrs N. of ATL.

What kind of precautions should I take into account? I don't want it to turn into a 1500 mile tow bill. Also, I have never done a trip like this. Anyone have a good route to suggest? I'd like a casual senic drive that hits some nice areas, lie maybe route 66, etc.

Also, do you think it would be possible to save a few bucks and take a tent? I like to camp, am young enough to sleep on the ground and not have to visit the chiropracter. I figured I might be able to camp out at rest areas and camp grounds. By the way, I will have a 70 lbs golden retreiver named Baxter with me. Think he will be ok for the trip?
Tent good idea...stay at KOA/state parks..they are everywhere..avoid sleeping over at rest stops...dog will be fine..just keep him hydrated..
Old 04-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Niart01
Instructor

Default Drive It

I bought my 73 on the internet in Phoenix. I flew out there from Chicago. Looked it over?? It had at least 170k and needed one of everything. They wanted 1K to ship it. I am a good enough mechanic that any minor problem I could fix on the way, and every 250 miles was that much less to ship it. Changed all the fluids(trans, oil, radiator) and drove it home not exceeding 65 to 70. Filled the gas up at half tank As I did not even know if the guage was correct. Had a BLAST. lost the power steering valve and blew out both exaust manifold gaskets but was one of the best trips I ever took. Took my time, Great trip. just drive the darn thing.

Quick Reply: Cross-county road trip in my 69?