Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross-county road trip in my 69?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cross-county road trip in my 69?

As I have mentioned to a few of you, I am getting out of the Marine Corps in 5 weeks, 1 day. I am stationed in San Diego, but will be moving back to North Georgia when I get out. I have all of my moving arranged already, but I recently have got a wild idea that it would be fun to drive my 69 cross country back home, taking the scenic routes, and seeing the countryside.

My car is an original 350/300 with a TH350 trans. She runs excellently, but no overdrive... I have roadside assistance, new tires, and no problems to my knowledge. I have plenty of $ for hotels, gas, food, etc. I was wondering, what do you guys think? I know it is a long ways, but I would be in no hurry. Do you think this is a dangerously hairbrained idea?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not? It will be a blast. I drove mine from the East Coast to the West Coast in the winter, much of it over snow covered roads - no cell phone, no AAA, no money. Piece of cake!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:29 AM
kaamacat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd venture to say that most people would reply, saying they'd love the chance to do exactly the same thing. (Although I'd prefer to travel in a small group if possibe should anything unexpected come up).

Where abouts in N.Ga are you going to be located?

HAVE A SAFE TRIP AND GOOD LUCK.

BobR
Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I would definitely do it, you'll have a lot of fun. We do Seattle to Napa (2,000 miles round trip) every year and have never had a problem. There is nothing better than a road trip.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

That sounds like a great idea. Certainly more enjoyable than trailing the car home. My son is getting out of the Corps in June and is also planning a nice long drive through the South to visit friends before heading home. It will be a good transition from military life back to work and school.

Speaking of long drives, have we ever heard from the guy who bought the 80 with the LT1 in Tampa and drove it home to Mexico?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I live in Pittsburgh and have driven my 69 vert to Florida and Oklahoma. Nicest trips I've ever been on.

When I went to Florida, it was spring break in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Do it and you will never regret it. swing in here to south fla we can have a beer
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

I will be going to Dalton, GA, near Chattanooga TN, 2 hrs N. of ATL.

What kind of precautions should I take into account? I don't want it to turn into a 1500 mile tow bill. Also, I have never done a trip like this. Anyone have a good route to suggest? I'd like a casual senic drive that hits some nice areas, lie maybe route 66, etc.

Also, do you think it would be possible to save a few bucks and take a tent? I like to camp, am young enough to sleep on the ground and not have to visit the chiropracter. I figured I might be able to camp out at rest areas and camp grounds. By the way, I will have a 70 lbs golden retreiver named Baxter with me. Think he will be ok for the trip?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
72-LT1
Pro

Execellent idea, I did it in 87 and slept in a tent, take the northern route throught the parks and then head south through AZ and stuff should be a good time.

I think I would at least hace a credit card with a grand or so on it in case I had to rent a uhaul and tow it home from somewhere.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
C3Andrew
Advanced

I'm envious!!! Good fun and good luck to you!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Go for it....my biggest regret is not driving my newly purchased (last Fall) 69 home from Philly back to Florida. I wanted to fly up with my dad and drive it back together the two of us during the change of colors through the mountains, but I did not know enough about the vette and how the engine would hold up with a 4.10 rearend gear at highway speeds so I painfully shipped it to S. Florida. I put 2,000 miles that were trouble free before I dropped it off to have the rearend switched out and a 6 speed tranny installed.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Warhead
Racer

I would do it in a heart beat.

You can call the local AAA office and they can plan the route for you. They will tell you of all the construction along the way, hotels, eateries and such. They will tailor the route plan for which ever way you want to go and give you maps and stuff plus you can get a discount at hotels.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely do it. I drove my '69 from Pittsburgh to SoCal when I bought it. This past weekend I drove it to Vegas...nothing beats cruising in these old Vettes for long distances
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettecris
As I have mentioned to a few of you, I am getting out of the Marine Corps in 5 weeks, 1 day. I am stationed in San Diego, but will be moving back to North Georgia when I get out. I have all of my moving arranged already, but I recently have got a wild idea that it would be fun to drive my 69 cross country back home, taking the scenic routes, and seeing the countryside.

My car is an original 350/300 with a TH350 trans. She runs excellently, but no overdrive... I have roadside assistance, new tires, and no problems to my knowledge. I have plenty of $ for hotels, gas, food, etc. I was wondering, what do you guys think? I know it is a long ways, but I would be in no hurry. Do you think this is a dangerously hairbrained idea?

Go for it, but bring tools and replacement parts ( belts filters hoses etc) I roll mine on the road trips and have a two drawer chest that i can do everthing short of yanking the motor , also dont plan on bringin more than a small bag of clothes

Do me a favor and take rt 66 then posty up some pics of the trip
Old 04-11-2006, 12:51 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm damn jealous of the idea. It's a lifelong dream of mine to take a cross country trip in a restored Vette. My 79 has done it, just not with me in it. The previous owner is an Air Force pilot who drove it from Oklahoma to Oregon, Oregon to Virginia where I bought it. In college a buddy took his 69 to Panama City FLA for spring break, about a 12 hour drive. He had the water pump replaced down there (it didnt' crap out, but he could feel the bearing wobbling) and then the voltage regulator took a crap on the way back home, neither of which would have been a big deal even if they left us stranded.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Do it! Sounds like fun!

If you get anywhere near Nashville TN and need help give me a ring. Ill also buy a Marine a beer or ten and a steak dinner anyday if you swing through Nashville.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:06 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

take a laptop. post pics. any questions or problems we got your back.

Get notified of new replies

To Cross-county road trip in my 69?

Old 04-11-2006, 01:07 PM
murvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Do it !!!!!! you deserve it ...the freedom to drive as far as you want,when ,and where. See what you have been protecting and thank you .........p.s. just get to a computer we got your back leave the tools in the moving truck. I will cover washington state
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
454_71Stingray
Safety Car

I think if you trust your car, then go for it Marine. But I think as some of the others have said, be prepared. I-10 might be fun but its going to be hot in the desert in late May Are you at MCRD or what?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:24 PM
73 Survivor
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do It! Drove my 73 from central PA to southern Florida four times and loved every mile. Take some basic hand tools and enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: Cross-county road trip in my 69?