C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever been hasseled driving w/ antique plates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM
c3_guy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever been hasseled driving w/ antique plates?

I live in Illinois and am concidering switching the plates on my 76 to Antique Plates. The law says the car must be at least 25 years old and only driven for car shows, exhibitions or service. The plates are $70 a year cheaper and there is no required emision test.

Anyone out there have antique or collector plates? Have you ever been hasseled or questioned by the police while driving?

If you have been stopped, how old are you?

Last edited by c3_guy; 08-04-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I've never been stopped just for the plates. But I wonder if the cops would look into things further if they stop you for something else. Just for kicks I keep a box with new brake pads in back. "I'm on my way to the shop for new brakes, officer".
Mike
Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM
c3_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Just for kicks I keep a box with new brake pads in back. "I'm on my way to the shop for new brakes, officer".
Mike
Good Idea Mike. I'll have to try that.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope

And My plate reads FORK.U2
Old 08-04-2006, 10:43 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Had my model year plates for 10 years, never been bothered
Old 08-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Jims77L82
Advanced

I am also from Illinois,and have antique plates for a year now.Never had a problem so far,but I do not drive my car on a daily basis .I do take it out once or twice a week when the weather is nice. I figure if I ever did get stopped I would say I was checking out the carb adjustment I had just done or something like that.Another bonus for antique plates is cheap insurance!!!!!Mine runs about $120 a year.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 PM
frostbitten09
Pro

Where does it say you have to be 25+ to have antique plates im 16 and I paid for antique plates on my 78.... I havnt driven it yet but i read our guidlines and i dindt see anything about beging 25+ Exept the classic insurance said that.

Maybe PAs diff then your state....
Old 08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the car has to be 25 years old, not the driver.

i just put antique plates on mine this summer. the car FINALY hits the road this tuesday. we shall see if the cops bug me about it. i like that idea about keeping some extra brake pads in the car. i think ive got a couple laying around....

man, how are you guys getting cheaper insurance with antique plates? AAA is screwing me over with insurance on the vette. no limited driveing insurance, no classic car insurance, no price reduction for antique plates, no nothing.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:15 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought the car it had Collector plates and I got new Collector plates as well and have never had a problem. Definately NOT a daily driver, but I definately drive it a few times a week in the summer when I can and Ii have never had a problem with the cops bugging me about the plates. I did not even know that technically you were only supposed to drive it in car shows and such. Just thought it was limited based on the mileage and year. When they asked me when I got the plates I told the DMV that the car would be driven about 3000 miles a year.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by another-user
the car has to be 25 years old, not the driver.
LMAO!

man, how are you guys getting cheaper insurance with antique plates? AAA is screwing me over with insurance on the vette. no limited driveing insurance, no classic car insurance, no price reduction for antique plates, no nothing.
I went through Paris Heacock Ins Co which insures collector cars
$298 a year ... full coverage including theft, fire, glass ect:
It is insured for $20,000 and I am allowed to drive 3,000 miles per year.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:01 AM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I have an antique tag on my '69 conv. drive it when i want and where i want in tennessee the good part about it it's considered a permanent tag. payed 32.75 total for it and its good as long as i own the car with no renewal fees.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

I was pleasantly shocked when I added my Vette to our policy as a vintage/antique car driven to shows parades etc. but I pay $232 a year for full coverage $100 deductable, $50,000 stated value. They didn't even bat an eye when they asked for the vin and I told them 82, yes just 82 which is the number on the doors..........
Still working on vintage plates but am told you generally don't get hastled as long as you don't give them a reason to want to hastle you Once that is resolved shes a "legal" street driver..............Westfield Ins, 3rd vehicle, excellent driving records, old as dirt...........

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 08-05-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:14 AM
lucky76
Racer

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
I was pleasantly shocked when I added my Vette to our policy as a vintage/antique car driven to shows parades etc. but I pay $232 a year for full coverage $100 deductable, $50,000 stated value. They didn't even bat an eye when they asked for the vin and I told them 82, yes just 82 which is the number on the doors..........
Still working on vintage plates but am told you generally don't get hastled as long as you don't give them a reason to want to hastle you Once that is resolved shes a "legal" street driver..............
82 on the doors ??????
Old 08-05-2006, 12:38 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

see photo or avatar
Old 08-05-2006, 01:00 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my 74 with QQ plates for two years in college without any hassles. Cops use to pull up next to me and give me the thumbs up and talk to me at lights.
As long as your not driving like a retart, you'll be fine.
If you get stopped for doing something stupid or a cop with a stick up his anus they might be knowledgeable enough to bring the antique plates into the picture.
But normally cops are on the road all day and respect a nice car with a nice safe driver. Most of them want your car anyway.
Be safe and you'll be fine and save lots of $$$.
I will be putting brake pads in the back of my 68 for now on.
Great idea!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Just tell them your going to the weekly Corvette club meeting or some BS
Whats the big deal?
They may be able to prove where youve been but they sure as hell cant prove where your going

Its different in Connecticut
The police dont care but the Ins Co will ask alot of questions if they have to shell out a dime
Old 08-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

man, how are you guys getting cheaper insurance with antique plates? AAA is screwing me over with insurance on the vette.
AAA...There's your problem right there.

I would seriously consider getting a different insurance company. I've had VERY poor luck with them. I filed a claim over someone taking off the side view mirror on my car, and it was almost a month before they finally said they'd send someone to look at it for an appraisal.

And it was almost 2 weeks after that when they paid the body shop they told me to take it to, so that I could pick up the car. The body shop wouldn't turn the car over to me until it was paid...Kinda makes me wonder if they'd gotten burned by AAA.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever been hasseled driving w/ antique plates?

Old 08-05-2006, 03:04 AM
another-user
Safety Car

ive really considerd it on more the one occasion. the problem is, 30 years ago AAA was the only place in town that would insure my dad with the vette. im 100% positive that most, if not every other place wouldnt insure me now on the vette given the fact that im in the exact same spot my dad was 20 years ago. and also that by todays standards, its got a huge motor in it.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

ive really considerd it on more the one occasion. the problem is, 30 years ago AAA was the only place in town that would insure my dad with the vette. im 100% positive that most, if not every other place wouldnt insure me now on the vette given the fact that im in the exact same spot my dad was 20 years ago. and also that by todays standards, its got a huge motor in it.
Do a search on Collector/Antique car insurance
Theres a ton of companys out there .All I had to provide was a pic of the car and the garage it stays in. You can insure it for any amount you chose...within reason obviously.

Collector cars are so popular these days that they are fighting for your business
Old 08-05-2006, 03:18 AM
another-user
Safety Car

and there comes the second defeat. they all require the car to be stored in a locked garage. the garage is packed full, so it stays parked in the driveway from spring to fall, then it gets put into storage in our pollbarn for the winter months.

i would try and claim that as a locked building, but its not... its just surrounded by locked gates and electric fence.

Quick Reply: Ever been hasseled driving w/ antique plates?