Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toluene added to gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Solid LT1;1589447558]I have a challenge for you....take a Nitrophyl carb float commonly found in Holley and Qjet carbs, put it into a Toluene environment and tell me how long it lasts.....not very....Paint stripper isn't the compound to use in our vintage cars.....even the rubber fuel lines will be attacked. Toluene is great for softening race tires![/QUOTE
Not sure if this was supposed to be "mean" or not, but it's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for lol. Can't create a solution if you don't know the problem. It's not the obvious problems that are always the ones to look for, I like to hear the not so obvious things that guys repeatedly run into w experience.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Tuxblacray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I am still around and remain very active in the Corvette Community... Most of the time I can be found in my Facebook group Simply Corvettes..
I wrote the reply long ago... and still believe the same although I will clarify the term bogus as to be utilized an many of the articles and not all.
There are many snake oil claims and most have little value. If you are worried about detonation then run a pump premium with a approved booster of your choice. There are several available from places that have a racing knowledge and background.
There is also the use of higher octane airplane fuel available from local airports. No matter what you chose to utilize make sure it is something that you can trust.!!!

Have a Great Day.... Tux... <(") (((WAVING)))
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SimplyCorvettes/
Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuxblacray
Yes, I am still around and remain very active in the Corvette Community... Most of the time I can be found in my Facebook group Simply Corvettes..
I wrote the reply long ago... and still believe the same although I will clarify the term bogus as to be utilized an many of the articles and not all.
There are many snake oil claims and most have little value. If you are worried about detonation then run a pump premium with a approved booster of your choice. There are several available from places that have a racing knowledge and background.
There is also the use of higher octane airplane fuel available from local airports. No matter what you chose to utilize make sure it is something that you can trust.!!!

Have a Great Day.... Tux... <(") (((WAVING)))
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SimplyCorvettes/
Well certainly there is always room for improvement- that desire to get a little better results is exactly what brought current fuels/additives to the market.
Pump premium with a little booster isn't always the whole picture when it comes to a high compression or boosted motor and overall performance. atomization, charge air temps, vapor pressures, flash point, etc etc etc. developing a truly unique fuel blend is more than just increasing the octane number with a bottle of additive.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Tuxblacray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Przyojski
Well certainly there is always room for improvement- that desire to get a little better results is exactly what brought current fuels/additives to the market.
Pump premium with a little booster isn't always the whole picture when it comes to a high compression or boosted motor and overall performance. atomization, charge air temps, vapor pressures, flash point, etc etc etc. developing a truly unique fuel blend is more than just increasing the octane number with a bottle of additive.
I hear ya and I understand and might even agree... However when speaking in the broad sense of a forum, registry, group, etc I believe it can be bad business to promote something that could be damaging to possibly one's vehicle or self if not properly handled... JMO... Good Luck in your quest....

Quick Reply: Toluene added to gasoline