Sponsored by:

74 Big Block Convertible value

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Deuce76063
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Big Block Convertible value

Hello, I have a friend who has offerered to sell me his 74 big block convertible for the second time in two years. I am seriously considering buying it this time around. The car is a 2 owner car, documented, and had the original motor pulled in 1975. The original motor comes with the car with all original accesories except for the exhaust manifolds and the carb. The original owner put a built 454 with 520 hp (supposed) in it and it remains in the car to date. I have driven the car a couple of times and I would say that is probably right. The body is in excellent condition except for the bumpers which the owner has new replacements (fiberglass). The interior and top are as new, with some very minor cleaning of the interior needed. The frame and undercarriage have minor surface rust. The car has been garaged and covered it's entire life, but could probably use a repaint (Sunflower yellow with white top and interior). The only body modification that has been made is the addition of a hood scoop, which in my opinion, looks like crap. He offered the car to me two years ago for 14,50O. Think I ought to do it?

Bob
Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are going to get varied opinions on that car.

Some say it's only worth about 7000 bucks. I don't know what they actually bring, but a super clean 74 BB vert can advertize for over 30K. I specifically bought one last year for 14K because I think the 74 BB VERT will be the best appreciating rubber bumper vette of all produced. I have heard varied estimates that there was only between 300 to 500 made. I love mine whether it goes up in value or not. I seldom drive my 72 small block anymore. In my opinion....14K is in the ballpark IF all the original stuff is there and usable. If you can do most of the labor ...you will at least stay even over time. There are a lot of ragged t top cars out there for cheap....but the 454 Vert is getting harder to find. Look at the spread between a small block 70 model and the BB 70 model. Huge spread. Just a few years ago, you couldn't give away a BB. There are a lot of guys on this forum with good knowledge. See what others say.

Good luck and have fun...........PS > we need pictures!

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 11-10-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like it, then yes buy it. Sounds like a decent car. Know that it is not hard to spend $5000 on a good paint job.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Deuce76063
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by markdtn
If you like it, then yes buy it. Sounds like a decent car. Know that it is not hard to spend $5000 on a good paint job.
I think I will buy it. I can do my own work, including the paint. Done it for years now, as a side business. I am going to look over the car again and estimate what it would take in parts, such as weatherstrip and other small things and see if he will come down that amount. He is a good friend and I don't want to lowball him, but anyone else would try to deal him down some, I'm sure. I'll just eat the labor I have to put in it. I always do on these deals anyway.
Thanks for the information. Bob
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline....rchresults.php

See if this link works.

Type in 1974 - 1974......keyword > convertible
Old 11-10-2006, 10:12 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can get it for $14-15k, do it! Make sure it has a "Z" as the 5th digit in the VIN which indicates a true 454 car, of which there were only 3494 made in 74 (according to the black book). After 74 there were zero BB Vettes made, making this car fairly desirable. There were only 5474 convertibles in 74, and after 75, there were no other C3 verts.

If you buy it, and later decide it's not for you, you could easily make some caabbge on the flip.

The original urethane bumpers on these cars are almost always hardened and cracked up. The hood can be replaced with ease (hello ebay). If there's no rust rot on the under-carriage (frame, etc) you can usually assume the bird cage is ok.

Here's a price guide:

http://www.manheimgold.com/car_lo.html

Let us know what transpires.

Last edited by 73, Dark Blue 454; 11-12-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:19 AM
standup
Drifting

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
.....I think the 74 BB VERT will be the best appreciating rubber bumper vette of all produced.....
whole heartedly !!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by standup
whole heartedly !!!!!!!!
With the possible exception of the 82CE.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:59 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuce76063
I think I will buy it. I can do my own work, including the paint......estimate what it would take in parts, such as weatherstrip and other small things and see if he will come down that amount. ....I'll just eat the labor I have to put in it.....
Bob - budget around $1k for weatherstrip if it has a hard top and the soft top. Parts to keep it right will always be too much, so your sweat-equity will help keep you on the road for a reasonable investment. You'll always spend more than you expect - luckily you have an understanding co-pilot.

Go for it, and post some pics when you get it. If it's a true 1Z67Z car in the condition you describe, I don't think you can go wrong at the $15k price point. Even if it's a J or T, it's still a shark convertible, and you'll have the best of both worlds with a hot-rod motor to drive and the original motor protected for the next owner (after all, we're all just stewards, right?), and it's still a good value.

And when other people see it and say "I used to have a car like that, and I sold it, and I wished I had never sold it" you'll smile that much more as you spin the tires.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. A '74 BB Vert is next on my list. I want one so bad I can taste it. I got my Powerball ticket stuck in my Summit catalog for luck--I want one of those babies tomorrow. Orange with silver leather--come to papa!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Deuce76063
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mayberg
Bob - budget around $1k for weatherstrip if it has a hard top and the soft top. Parts to keep it right will always be too much, so your sweat-equity will help keep you on the road for a reasonable investment. You'll always spend more than you expect - luckily you have an understanding co-pilot.

Go for it, and post some pics when you get it. If it's a true 1Z67Z car in the condition you describe, I don't think you can go wrong at the $15k price point. Even if it's a J or T, it's still a shark convertible, and you'll have the best of both worlds with a hot-rod motor to drive and the original motor protected for the next owner (after all, we're all just stewards, right?), and it's still a good value.

And when other people see it and say "I used to have a car like that, and I sold it, and I wished I had never sold it" you'll smile that much more as you spin the tires.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going out to look at the car again this coming week and get the vin#. The owner has been a collector for 25 years now and has had some incredible Corvettes and other muscle cars. I wish I had know him back when he was into it real heavy. He has a photo of several Corvettes that he had at one time that would bring close to a million dollars at today's auction prices. Sadly, he is left with the 74 and a silver 63 S/W with navy interior and 327/340 4 speed that is a true survivor at 40k miles. Bought from the parents of a boy that didn't come back from Nam. I have driven that car several hundred miles and it brought more comments, waves, and smiles than anything I have ever seen. Hopefully the 74 will do the same. Bob
Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Mine was "all there".... everything down to the rubber donut for the
cowl induction. Absolutely ignored and neglected since 1974.
Original spare - bumpers - waterpump - starter - manifolds- carb...
..of course, they all need to be rebuilt.....but I work pretty cheap!

When I finish, it will be as nice as Mayberg's !

I am about to pull the radiator and support out. The support needs
a blasting and repaint. I will probably replace the radiator while I
am in there. Then bumpers and paint.

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 11-11-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Greekmn2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What's it worth?

I would say the car is worth maybe $15k with a NOM. It would be close to double that if the original engine that he has was IN the car. Easliy $25k-30k.

Let us know what you decide.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 Big Block Convertible value

Quick Reply: 74 Big Block Convertible value