Sponsored by:

Wow huge ricer wing on vintage race corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
It would actually do the exact opposite. It would push the rear end down resulting in lift on the front.
HHHMM, dosen't explain this does it? Not to defend anyone, but downforce is needed for other reasons then just pushing the driving tires to the ground.

Originally Posted by surkon
i heard on a nascar broadcast that the superbird wings wernt so much for downforce but for a rudder. makes it harder to spin on a circle track?
This is true. The car handled so badly that the wing actually kept the car going pretty much in a straight line.

Originally Posted by Yellow73SB
Heres another vintage race car on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...51552748QQrdZ1
Now that is a cool car. I'd love to buy a dedicated race car one day.

Last edited by SuprJames; 11-20-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that's not rice, functional is never rice
Old 11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
11Jake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03ki11er
It cracks me up when ricers put those huge wings on their car. Not just because it looks stupid, but because they believe it makes their car go faster! How can anyone actually believe that adding an almost parachute like wing to a car will make it go faster? If your car can actually go fast enough to even need a wing it still doesn't make you go any faster. It "allows" you to go faster.
Don't forget about the stupid exhaust, they also think maker there car sound like my lawn mower will make it faster too.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default telling on myself

Back in the 70's [I know some of you weren't born yet] when streaking was all the rage, I took two of my friends down main street of my home town at a rather high rate of speed on the back of my friends superbird. They were hanging on the wings and what little bumper they could find au natural. The wing was definitely sturdy as these guys weren't exactly small. You might say the locals were insenced. Especially that fellow standing over there by the tomaters.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
jbierschwale
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap! That is a neat-o lookin car... that's exactly the look I am after, except all black. Woohoo!

That C4 is sniffin some serious C3 a$$...

Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

The green one was probably a real IMSA race car, as it looks like it has the real deal Greenwood panels. However, I don't remember any wings like that. In fact, wings had been illegal in much of road racing since the Chapparells took wings beyond anything imaginable. I think this guy has an old race car and decided to take some liberties with it. After all, a Prancing Horse sticker on the dash of a Corvette???

The flamed black one is probably an old SCCA GT-1 or even Trans Am but it has had some liberties, too. Those rear flares would have never have been used by a serious racer. Too flat, too much drag, too low meaning the car sits too high.

Notice the track pictures show black fenders with different flares.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jbierschwale
Holy crap! That is a neat-o lookin car... that's exactly the look I am after, except all black. Woohoo!

That C4 is sniffin some serious C3 a$$...

Unfortunately, the C4 looks like it has street tires or at least a treaded track tire. The C3 has slicks. Put slicks on the C4 and it will eat that C3. Sad, but true.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
The green one was probably a real IMSA race car, as it looks like it has the real deal Greenwood panels. However, I don't remember any wings like that. In fact, wings had been illegal in much of road racing since the Chapparells took wings beyond anything imaginable. I think this guy has an old race car and decided to take some liberties with it. After all, a Prancing Horse sticker on the dash of a Corvette???

The flamed black one is probably an old SCCA GT-1 or even Trans Am but it has had some liberties, too. Those rear flares would have never have been used by a serious racer. Too flat, too much drag, too low meaning the car sits too high.

Notice the track pictures show black fenders with different flares.
Directly from the greenwood site: (1st one is a tubeframe car)

Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Has a wing and I love it
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 03ki11er
It cracks me up when ricers put those huge wings on their car. Not just because it looks stupid, but because they believe it makes their car go faster! How can anyone actually believe that adding an almost parachute like wing to a car will make it go faster? If your car can actually go fast enough to even need a wing it still doesn't make you go any faster. It "allows" you to go faster.
killer, they dont think they'd go faster, the big wings are for holding them secure on tarmak when they take the bends at 200 mlh!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:17 AM
69'Silver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
My best friend and I hit 146mph on the way to high school in his 'Bird, in 1973. The wing worked!! He still owns it, it sits in a small corrugated metal building behind his boarded up Exxon station, just outside of a town of 400(population) in eastern NC. In a state of deterioration, hasnt run since the late 70's, I'd guess. Though 100% original and never in any collision. His is the 440/4 barrel, the most common of the 3 engines offered. I've often thought about making him an offer, though like many, I think he thinks its worth more than it really is (probably $30-$40k as it sits, prob near $100k redone?)

Rob
Here one for a low sum of $165K
Old 11-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-21-2006, 06:53 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

That car belongs to George Krass from Chicago (heck of a nice guy!!), problem is he really has no place to race it where he would be competitive.
...redvetracr
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

George is a great guy and if you look at the car it is almost perfect! And actually if anyone knows Trans Am Category II from the late 70s (and IMSA) they would know that there were wings on everything, Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Porsche, everything.

Interesting note about the car, it was built in 73 with a frame that Tony Delorenzo got straight off the Corvette assembly line for my father. George rebuild the car with a real Greenwood body and the actual wing off of Rich Sloma's Trans am Corvette. So, as far as the wing, it is very period correct!

ps. George also told me that he went well over 200++mph on the high banks at Daytona, and if you know George you know it is true!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Corkguy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 03-02-2013, 12:47 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: Wow huge ricer wing on vintage race corvette