Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Exhaust is too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 AM
gorrie16
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It think you need to find a lady like my girl, she loves the sound of the 427, actually wants it to be louder. She also loves the smell of an old cars exhaust along with motorcycle exhaust which works for me cus thats all I smell like 9 months of the year. Plus forget the cell phone when in the car, thats just asking for a 50 dollar ticket. Now we just have to solve the ringing problem with your ears and some 25 cent ear plugs could solve that.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 255 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

ANYONE WANT TO SELL THE USED 40's THEY ARE TAKING OFF ?
PLEASE PM ME..............
PACKER
Old 03-28-2007, 07:38 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRags
I had my car on a dyno last year, AF ratio was spot on throughout the RPM range. Dont think that is the issue.

I've read so many posts about the smell of exhaust on older cars lacking any emmissions equipment. Also, it seems as if many people seem to experience this on cars with no catalytic converters.
Thats at WOT. What is it putzin' around town?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 AM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Thats at WOT. What is it putzin' around town?
good point.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gorrie16
It think you need to find a lady like my girl, she loves the sound of the 427, actually wants it to be louder. She also loves the smell of an old cars exhaust along with motorcycle exhaust which works for me cus thats all I smell like 9 months of the year. Plus forget the cell phone when in the car, thats just asking for a 50 dollar ticket. Now we just have to solve the ringing problem with your ears and some 25 cent ear plugs could solve that.
That must be one hell of a woman!

Anyway, yea, I dont really talk on the phone while driving, but even if I pull over, you cant hold a conversation.

As for the ear plugs, maybe I can rig up a nice dispenser that will fit in with the interior decor nicely ehh?

For some reason I seem to remember you saying you work at HS right? Let me know if you bring your car in, I'd love to check it out. Mine will make the trek one of these days... but I drive 40 miles to get here ever day.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My 69 originally had Race Magnum bullets(3") exhaust/H pipe...the noise was at 106 db inside cabin......I replaced them with Dynomax turbo's and noise reduced...I do not get exhast fumes in vette...

I don't think cat's will eliminate fumes as such..but will gag your exhaust more...
Rich
Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

I'm skeptical as to whether CATs will help you with the noise, there's just nothing inside to absorb the sound.They'll definitely help with the stinky exhaust smell. I recently put converters on mine, what a difference, no more smelly garage, clothes, I'll never go back. And if they go bad because of the high zinc oil I use I'll replace 'em. The odor is now like a modern car, easy to live with.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:35 AM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shafrs3
I'm skeptical as to whether CATs will help you with the noise, there's just nothing inside to absorb the sound.They'll definitely help with the stinky exhaust smell. I recently put converters on mine, what a difference, no more smelly garage, clothes, I'll never go back. And if they go bad because of the high zinc oil I use I'll replace 'em. The odor is now like a modern car, easy to live with.
Thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

Is it just me, or have all the old farts around here lost thier sense of smell? I cant count how many older car's I've been around that have the same odor.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

I guess I can give that a shot... I've still got pipe lying around from the build... at least it would be free.
I dont' think an H pipe will quite a loud exhaust. It will balance the flow which is an added benifit. I have true duals 2.5 two small performance cats and dynaflow turbo mufflers. I had a lot of car guys and vette owners tell me my car sounds sweet. and the cats don't smell. You can put in the H-pipe but to bring the decible (if I spelled that right) down add the cats or change to a diff muffler. I like dynaflow & magnaflow better then flowmaster. .02 G/L
Old 03-28-2007, 08:51 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Is it just me, or have all the old farts around here lost thier sense of smell? I cant count how many older car's I've been around that have the same odor.
Their eyes must be in the same condition. Before the CATs if I let the car idle in the garage too long it made my eyes water.

Last edited by shafrs3; 03-28-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

This old fart sez if you live in areas with high sulfur content in your fuel,the cat may not eliminate stink.....Cali is one of the lowest using re-formulated fuels....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

another thing for the "stink" is the type of carb - if you have a holley it may be putting in excess fuel at low rpm and loading up a little - cant get away from that unless you switch carbs.

I have been down this road with my recent switch from a Quadrajet. I dont like the fact that it starts loading up at low rpm and idle but man that response is sweet. I cant stand behind the car after it has been idleing for a minute or so - fumes are way too bad.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by skydaddy
another thing for the "stink" is the type of carb - if you have a holley it may be putting in excess fuel at low rpm and loading up a little - cant get away from that unless you switch carbs
Now you have let the "cat out of the bag".....

Rich
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

what about those of us who have sidepipes? my car's loud in the cabin the way it is. do you guys have an ideas? does the dynomat stuff really reduce noise that much? when my dad had his '67, he had te factory exhaust and he said it was still very quiet (and it was a vert).
Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by andylmusic76
what about those of us who have sidepipes? my car's loud in the cabin the way it is. do you guys have an ideas? does the dynomat stuff really reduce noise that much? when my dad had his '67, he had te factory exhaust and he said it was still very quiet (and it was a vert).
huh, WHAT DID U SAY!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by andylmusic76
what about those of us who have sidepipes? my car's loud in the cabin the way it is. do you guys have an ideas?

http://www.earplugsonline.com/?OVRAW...OVMTC=standard

Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jims79
I dont' think an H pipe will quite a loud exhaust. It will balance the flow which is an added benifit. I have true duals 2.5 two small performance cats and dynaflow turbo mufflers. I had a lot of car guys and vette owners tell me my car sounds sweet. and the cats don't smell. You can put in the H-pipe but to bring the decible (if I spelled that right) down add the cats or change to a diff muffler. I like dynaflow & magnaflow better then flowmaster. .02 G/L
Hi,
I disagree! I ran the Vette with MA duals & Monza glasspacks & at WOT it was so bleedin' loud that my instant reaction was to let off the throttle (my wife loves it!). After I fitted an H pipe the noise is still excessive, but not quite as bad, it's definitely mellowed it out a bit. What happens is that, with an H pipe, each exhaust "pulse" is leaving the exhaust system via 2 mufflers, so the sound will get muted slightly more than if it were leaving via just one muffler. Fitting an H/X pipe is a good thing, but to do it purely in an attempt to quieten down an exhaust system could leave you disappointed if it's excessively loud in the first place. If the mufflers are almost coping then the H/X could leave you happy with it.

I've got this same noise problem with my Vette. I'm running Monza glasspacks (straight through design) & was thinking about sticking some Flowmaster 40's on there. Does anybody know how the 40's compare to Monza glasspacks regarding volume (if I make it too quiet the wife will start complaining!)?

Get notified of new replies

To My Exhaust is too Loud

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Paul forget what the wife thinks more important what does your girl friend think
Old 03-28-2007, 11:36 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it just me, or have all the old farts around here lost their sense of smell? I cant count how many older car's I've been around that have the same odor.

The smell is reminiscent for many of us.

For a cat to actually convert the gasses,
you need a functioning air pump.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

add an H pipe it will quiet it down!

Quick Reply: My Exhaust is too Loud