Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Exhaust is too Loud

Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM
JoeRags
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My Exhaust is too Loud

Never in my life did I think I'd say this... and I'm not even 25 - but I think my exhaust is too loud for my liking.

Now that I've got a top on the car, the noise has really been getting to me. Afer a long drive, my ears ring, and I cant cary a conversation in the car without yelling, not to mention, a cell phone is basically useless when the car is running.

For those of you who are avid forum members, you may remember my custom stainless 2.5" exhaust I fabbed up a few months ago:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...inless+exhaust

I've got Flowmaster 40's and hooker headers on the 383. I'd like to be able to carry a conversation in the car, and these mufflers just arent cutting it. Yes, they sound sooooo nice, but a bit obnoxious.

So, I started thinking, I'm sick of stinking like exhaust fumes whenever I drive the car, and I attibute this to the lack of catalytic converters. So, I thought, what if I put on two high flow cats? Kill two birds with one stone right? Would this bring my sound down to a reasonable level, and at the same time, rid me of that foul stench the ladies dont like too much? I'd sacrifice a few hp to do so... I've got plenty on reserve, and I dont race.

Am I just having a moment of temporary insanity?

Last edited by JoeRags; 03-27-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Durango_Boy
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Go for it. Your ears, the ladies, the neighbors, and Mother Earth will all benefit from such an upgrade.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Kid Vette
CF Senior Member

Liked 145 Times in 91 Posts

I know what you mean about the Flowmaster 40s. I'm planning to pull mine off also. The resonance is just to much.

However I don't think I would put cats on though. If your exhaust smells nasty chances are you are running rich. I think I would spend some time tuning the carb before I would mess with cats. By the way if you are running rich the cats will just make it smell worse. . . like rotten eggs!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Burnt71
CF Senior Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have a 75 I run with open headers. To loud
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM
JoeRags
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette View Post
However I don't think I would put cats on though. If your exhaust smells nasty chances are you are running rich. I think I would spend some time tuning the carb before I would mess with cats. By the way if you are running rich the cats will just make it smell worse. . . like rotten eggs!
I had my car on a dyno last year, AF ratio was spot on throughout the RPM range. Dont think that is the issue.

I've read so many posts about the smell of exhaust on older cars lacking any emmissions equipment. Also, it seems as if many people seem to experience this on cars with no catalytic converters.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
TXredc3
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Go for it. I just pulled the same mufflers off my '74 small block. Went with the magnaflows. Wish they were a little louder but am glad I got rid of the 40's.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Tim81
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

I have a 81 that has been converted to true duals. The cats were eliminated at the same time. I don't notice any exhaust smell at all in the car. Although the car sounds great I do wish it was a little less noisy. Since this was all done by the previous owner I don't know what type of mufflers are on it. Not sure how you can keep the same exhaust but lower the noise level a little bit. The mufflers say FLOZA-FLOW on them. Anyone ever heard of these?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
big_G
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Try an H-pipe or an X-pipe before you give up on the Flows....I added one and it made a noticeable difference, along with the Fat-Mat I installed.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
JoeRags
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G View Post
Try an H-pipe or an X-pipe before you give up on the Flows....I added one and it made a noticeable difference, along with the Fat-Mat I installed.
I guess I can give that a shot... I've still got pipe lying around from the build... at least it would be free.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Kid Vette
CF Senior Member

Liked 145 Times in 91 Posts

I installed a H-pipe. It helped but not enough. The 40s have gotta go.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM
dosoctaves
CF Senior Member

Liked 51 Times in 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19

I have flow delta 50's and X pipe, 2 1/2" and it sounds pretty good, and not too loud. Installing headers in the next few weeks so I guess I'll wait and see how it changes...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Retro78
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This debate keeps going and going. There have been so many posts on this over the years. I think the problem is that many people are looking for a sound that is between the loud 40's(several versions of those but not much difference in terms of loudness) and the quiet Dynomax/Magnaflow/Walker's. There just does not seem to be a muffler in between the two extremes.

I have had 40's, Dynomax(two versions) and now Magnaflow. I am not very happy with any of them. I have nothing else to try unless someone has a new suggestion. Perhaps the magnaflow will get louder with age as some have suggested...but I will likely dump them before that...too quiet for me.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's really only three performance muffler designs,..chambered (usually loudest),..straight through (loud but less "raw" sounding) or reverse flow such as a turbo type of muffler (the quietest of the three). You might look at the Dynomax Super Turbos. I run them on four cars and I think they're closest to the old muscle car sound as you can get, and flow as well as anything.

http://www.dynomax.com/products/stp.asp
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Muddywaters
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Joe... I'm using Magnaflows here too... Personally, I think there the perfect sound and, with no resonance. Muddy

PS..of course I'm dynamated up the ying yang too
Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM
swtato
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I would say your problem is with the Flowmasters.

I have an L82 w/ Dynomax ceramic headers, 2.5 inch dual exhaust w/ an h-pipe straight back to Magnaflow mufflers and the sound is fine. It only really gets loud if I get on it but just crusin is fine.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 AM
chevygod
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

One thing about adding cats to a car that was not originally equipped with them: the factory equipped cars have clearance and heatshielding that works with the cats to keep things from, shall we say, getting toasty? I had heard that some states frown on adding cats to a non-catalyst vehcle if it had no factory provision for installation, due to problems with heat coming off of the catalysts.

Tom
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Z-man
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm still trying to figure out why you smell like exhaust fumes... Is the engine overly rich? I've never had this problem.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 AM
72rdstr
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're not running open sidepipes, you don't know too loud.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
Liked 114 Times in 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you smell like exhaust fumes... Is the engine overly rich? I've never had this problem.
72rdstr If you're not running open sidepipes, you don't know too loud.

Sell your vette and buy a C5.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Gordonm
CF Senior Member

Liked 179 Times in 158 Posts

I run the 50s with an H pipe and they are much nicer than the 40s. The yare loud enough when yo uare on the loud pedal but provide a nice tone when cruising at 2200 rpm. The cats might get quite hot, you should build some sheilding if you go that way. My AF ratio is also spot on at all rpms but it still smells some at idle. This is just due to the large cam and the performance motor. I'd be curious what the cats do for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Exhaust is too Loud

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: