Full Interior Redo for a C3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Halorin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Interior Redo for a C3?

Hey guys,

I did some looking around but haven't been able to get an average price. Forgive me if it's out there and I just didn't find it. My question is:

On average, how much would it be to redo an interior? I see a black/red '73 that I like a LOT, only I do not like the red interior. I'd want to change it to either black or a khaki'ish type of color, with nothing red left behind.

Any idea on how much that'd cost? Or even better, does anyone know any shops in the VA area that do things like that?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Well, I changed my red interior to black & I refuse to tell myself how much I spent. Depending upon the condition of the trim, most of that can be dyed, some of the trim pieces can get real expensive. You will need to change the seat cushions, carpet, dash, door panels, the armrest, and probably the sun visors. Everything else can be a dye job. Most new trim pieces will come black & you are expected to dye them. Here's a hint - I dyed the new trim pieces black, even though they were already black. I thought the new pieces were a little too glossy. Here's a thought, especially if the dash is in good shape, do a red & black interior, I think Mid-Am make custom r&b seat covers. It would look sharp. One reason I say this is the repro dashes are a real PITA & never fit quite right.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
jgoglick
Instructor

You could easily hit 3K if you replace everything. I would suggest looking at all the trim pieces and dying everything you can that is in good shape. It will save you a lot of money as well as fit better.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Halorin
Advanced

Thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Halorin
...haven't been able to get an average price...
There probably isn't an "average" cost. The single most expensive piece in my '68 interior was the new carpet. Almost everything else is stock. I redyed parts and pieces to give everything a uniform dark blue. You're talking about a complete color change and that's a different project.

..Or even better, does anyone know any shops in the VA area that do things like that?...
Up to you, but doing it yourself and having someone do it for you are two different things entirely.

Sit down with your favorite Corvette aftermarket parts provider's catalogue and make of list of everything you'll need for the swap. Include a quart of matching dye since there will be some items to paint even if you replace everything else (steering column for one). Total it up.

Double that amount if you put the car in the shop.

If your interior is otherwise in good shape, almost everything in it with the exception of carpet can be dyed the color you want.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Halorin
Advanced

Thanks Mike.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
75project
Intermediate

I just purchased my vette and want to do the same (change colors)

can I peint my dash and doors (it seem's to be vinyl)

or I really have to buy a new one??

Thanks all!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
bobbywyant
Intermediate

just redid mine went from buckskin to firethorn, dyed the dash pads and evrything else , but the seats and carpet, new door panels. Also changed all bulbs in dash fixed tach , new speedo cable. ptu in lap belts did away with shoulder belts way to much money. whole deal I wuold say is around 2000.00 and only took three months . Shopped on Ebay and corvette america, never had a problem with either wish i could put on pics it looks brand new. people cant believe the diffence. just take your time and be patient.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Well, I changed my red interior to black & I refuse to tell myself how much I spent. Depending upon the condition of the trim, most of that can be dyed, some of the trim pieces can get real expensive. You will need to change the seat cushions, carpet, dash, door panels, the armrest, and probably the sun visors. Everything else can be a dye job. Most new trim pieces will come black & you are expected to dye them. Here's a hint - I dyed the new trim pieces black, even though they were already black. I thought the new pieces were a little too glossy. Here's a thought, especially if the dash is in good shape, do a red & black interior, I think Mid-Am make custom r&b seat covers. It would look sharp. One reason I say this is the repro dashes are a real PITA & never fit quite right.
Here is what I think you are talking about - this is what I did to my all red interior:

Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Here is my interior resto thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=amature
This gives you an idea of whats involved in a total resto.
I did everything myself and needed pretty much everything. I spent $4k on the interior total...NOT counting the stereo system I spent $1200 on.

I couldn't imagine what a shop would charge to do the extent of work that I did. I damn sure won't do another one...LOL
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ajrothm, you dont know it but you just helped me out by linking to your restoration pics.

i just picked up the DIN insert for the radio today and was kinda confused as to how i actually attach it. now after seeing your pictures i can see exactly how its going to fit.

its going to be very nice to have a real radio in the car this summer.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
ajrothm, you dont know it but you just helped me out by linking to your restoration pics.

i just picked up the DIN insert for the radio today and was kinda confused as to how i actually attach it. now after seeing your pictures i can see exactly how its going to fit.

its going to be very nice to have a real radio in the car this summer.

Glad I could help bro. I try to link that old thread whenever I can for guys that are about to do their interiors or have questions about things in the interior because mine was so extensive.

Yeah a real stereo completely changes the ride in the car. Its so much fun cruising down the highway at 80mph with the tops off and actually be able to hear and feel the stereo thumping... Really adds to the enjoyment of cruising.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Halorin
Advanced

Hey AJ,

Thanks for the thread, man. It really gives me a compass on where I'd want to go with my Vette (when I get it/find it) :P. I have to say, though. I felt pain just LOOKING at those pictures. I have my work cut out for me, heh. I'm checking out a Vette this weekend with a new interior. Maybe I'll have lucked out.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
BARRY L-48
Racer

Did my 80 interior about a year ago,got everthing from Zip- $1400.00,door panels,seat foam and new seat covers,and complete carpet
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 75project
...can I peint my dash and doors (it seem's to be vinyl)...
Look for SEM automotive interior dye. Should be available form automotive paint suppliers. The jobber will be able to provide the color you want.

Almost everything in a Corvette interior can be dyed/painted. Carpet is the exception. It's difficult to dye carpet and get a good, even color.

Preparation is the key to all of this. Everything to be dyed needs to be cleaned and prepped.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Last year I took out the brown guts and put in red ones. I reused the lower dash and some other console parts but carpet, doors and top dash is new. I would expect to spend all of $3000 if you are completely gutting it

Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Cost will be a function of how many parts you need to buy. And that relates to how many existing parts you can re-use. Color is irrelevant, as you can re-dye anything you already have. The real difficulty is the removal of all the components, particularly the driver's side instrument panel and the dash pad. All others are pretty easy to remove. If you only need to re-carpet and re-dye, you can easily do it for less than $500. Then add on any parts you need to replace.

Get notified of new replies

To Full Interior Redo for a C3?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by brdd
FWIW: Nice shot of a job number (25). Just curious. Does your VIN end with 525?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
79 vette head
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

i just finished mine. i did most work myself. mine was a red on red. now red on doeskin. sprayed some parts like seat frames, seat hinges, steering column i guess if i totaled it all up it was about 3500 in parts. all ordered from www.vipcorvettes.com see pam...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:16 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: Nice shot of a job number (25). Just curious. Does your VIN end with 525?
No, ends in 5009.........

Quick Reply: Full Interior Redo for a C3?