Sponsored by:

C3 Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
80Vettguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Rear Speakers

I went to replace the speakers in my 1980 vett and thought it would be simple enough.
I replaced the front which looked as if they had been there for 20 years.

I got to the rear and I am having trouble mounting the 6x9s. Anyone have pictures of how they did this or does anyone make a clever box for this purpose. The main issue is the magnet size. It is too large for the space and a spacer seems to hit the wheel well.

Any ideas??

Oh and as a side note what brand of speakers where in the 1980 vett originally.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, there is a clearance issue on the rear speakers. you pretty much need to use a low profile clearanced 6x9. That eleminates most of the higher quality speakers in the stock mounts but that's the way life is. you need to find a 6x9 with a shallower mounting depth.

The originals were nothing but basic OEM speakers that GM buys in bulk from one of a few of the major speaker manufacturers. No brand name, just basic, inexpensive speakers.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xakk
damn that looks good! After seeing yours I am going to re do mine. I kept the stock unit in the dash for nostalgia and put a completely new system in the rear this is what mine looks like for now:

Last edited by bluesilver82; 05-29-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Jaybird907
Instructor

Here is a link from that some gave me off the site.

http://members.***.net/~mfouchi/vett...s/boxplans.htm
Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

The plans I used came from this link. It says 78-82, but I've put them early C3s as well and they fit just as good.

http://members.***.net/~mfouchi/vett...s/boxplans.htm

The only thing I really did different was to slide a piece of 3/4 ply behind the carpet and screwed the boxes directly to that instead of using the factory speaker mounts (which I don't think are in the earlier C3s anyway). Keeps them good and solid. The ply also gave a good place to mount the amp or anything else I wanted to stick back there. And I packed poly-fill behind the speakers before mounting them to try compensating the fact that it wasn't sealed. It's not perfect, but it helped some. All in all, it's not a perfect solution, but ti works for me.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a sheet of MDF (customwood) 1500x600x12 mm
I also had a sheet of cardboard, that I cut to fit in the rear section of my convertible 68. I positioned it so that it was at a slight rake, with the top edge against the rear section, just below the vent ducts.
I cut the cardboard so that it was a good tight fit around the wheel arches, and shaped to clear the convertible lid cover hinge mounts.

I used the cardboard as a template to cut the MDF. Then I cut out the holes for a pair of 3 way jbl speakers (rated at 120w rms).

I covered the MDF with black loop pile carpet, similar to the original.

I mounted a Sony stereo amp onto the inside edge of the MDF board.
Totally hidden. I then fitted the speakers and secured the panel using two angle brackets on either side and a third in the middle at the top edge see photo.... I haven't painted the bracket yet, but it's a neat tidy look, and I haven't lost too much space at all...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyTom
I bought a sheet of MDF (customwood) 1500x600x12 mm
I also had a sheet of cardboard, that I cut to fit in the rear section of my convertible 68. I positioned it so that it was at a slight rake, with the top edge against the rear section, just below the vent ducts.
I cut the cardboard so that it was a good tight fit around the wheel arches, and shaped to clear the convertible lid cover hinge mounts.

I used the cardboard as a template to cut the MDF. Then I cut out the holes for a pair of 3 way jbl speakers (rated at 120w rms).

I covered the MDF with black loop pile carpet, similar to the original.

I mounted a Sony stereo amp onto the inside edge of the MDF board.
Totally hidden. I then fitted the speakers and secured the panel using two angle brackets on either side and a third in the middle at the top edge see photo.... I haven't painted the bracket yet, but it's a neat tidy look, and I haven't lost too much space at all...
Neat, clean look. What is an MDF? If it's not difficult, could you post a pic with the amp exposed?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get rid of them, unnecessary weight.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Hey Ozzie Tom. Thats a really clean lookin speaker mount with a hidden amp and an efficient use of space. Good creative engineering!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 AM
ikesterx
Instructor

Yea, you gotta be creative if you want quality 6X9s back there. If you're lazy like me, you suffer in the check book and pay someone else to solve your problems. I've also seen custom 6X9 speaker boxes for 78-82 vettes on Flea Bay...but the asking prices seems too much to me.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by torqvette
Get rid of them, unnecessary weight.
Nah! just compensate with more horsepower!

Oldguard.....
Customwood is one of the most versatile and easy-to-use Medium Density Fibreboards (MDF) available.

Its quality guarantees uniformity in size, colour, density and strength. These unique characteristics also make Customwood ideal for any number of interior applications including cabinet making, shop fitting, furniture and general interior applications....
And acoustic panels for fitting in C3 vettes!

Customwood cuts, drills and routs cleanly without splintering or chipping when compared to timber or other types of wood panel products. It's also free of any knots and grain, making finishing easier and less time-consuming. You can paint it, stain it or coat it with a veneer or glue carpet to it.. pretty versatile.

It's available in sheet thicknesses from 3mm to 32mm, in lengths of 600 to 2400mm and widths of 300, 450, 600 and 1200mm.
Sorry, but I don't know what it's called in the land of Uncle Sam. I'm sure there would be a similar product over there... If not, try some 1/4" plywood panel sheet.

As far as taking a pic.... If I have to pull it out at some stage, I'll take a photo. But as I said, Its just a flat piece of MDF shaped to fit snugly in the rear over the wheel arches. The Amp is simply screwed to the back face, between the speaker cutouts, and closer to the bottom edge where there is more clearance (panel is raked towards rear at top edge, to maximise storage space. )
cheers

tom
Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Jerry82
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ikesterx
Yea, you gotta be creative if you want quality 6X9s back there. If you're lazy like me, you suffer in the check book and pay someone else to solve your problems. I've also seen custom 6X9 speaker boxes for 78-82 vettes on Flea Bay...but the asking prices seems too much to me.

Hi ikesterx i was looking to do something similar like the 84 vette, how did you attach the box?
thanks

Jerry
Old 03-28-2017, 05:50 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

FWIW, i didnt want to lose any of the already limited storage space so I went with a shallow 6x9
Amazon Amazon

which are no longer available I guess. I am about to add an amp to get a little more out of them. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This thread is 10 years old.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:22 AM
balomzstefan
1st Gear

Oooohh a 10 years old thread, i didn't thought that a thread can last so long , well i always get mine from this site Soundexperts
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

10 years?
no need to answer then

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Rear Speakers

Quick Reply: C3 Rear Speakers