C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the safe high and low pressure reading for a A6 compressor with R134?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default whats the safe high and low pressure reading for a A6 compressor with R134?

I just finished installing the system once again after converting it to R134a. I went to a local A/C shop and the guy evacuated the whole thing with no leaks and sttarted filling with R134, he stopped at a reading of 40 low and 220 high but the A/C is not blowing cold enough at that point and I felt the compressor is still light on the engine, usually that A6 compressor will drag the engine RPM down by at least 200, he told me that its not safe to exceed that pressure so I left him hoping it will get cold after driving for a while, on my way home the compressor started cycling on and off! (I have the updated POA valve that would turn the compressor off on low pressure) as it has a low pressure! very confusing!

is it safe to add more R134 to get a high of 250 or something??

the ambient temp was around 95F.

Hamad
Old 08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IMO, sounds like you need more freon....another 1/2-1 full can....

as a guess....I fill 134 untill my lo side ready 30 or less psi with engine on 2000+ rpms.....

wonder why you are using 134, then most other nations in the world use R12, I thought we were the only stupid ones in the world that way....

as if you can't tell, I HATE then enviro nuts with a passion....
Old 08-16-2007, 03:02 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

The R12 is totally forbiden here! if they caught you with a can of R12 then you are a criminal!! I didnt know that when I was rebuilding my A/C so I did it with R12 in my mind, so I just took the whole thing apart again (how PITA!!) and flush the whole darn thing upto bare metal then put all R134 o rings and oil. And I heard that the R134 is just as harmful or more than the old R12!!

I will go to the shop again and ask him to tip it off a little.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

You will see pretty high pressures with R134a if you're running the stock condensor. 300 PSI is not unusual.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I just came from the A/C shop, they added some more R134 and the now the high pressure reads about 260 and 50 on low and the A/C started blowing cold right away, thats a very good thing to experience! I drove the vette home and in a 30 min trip the A/C was still blowing cold and no unusual thing happened, all went smoothly. And at a 95F with almost %100 humdity (yeah, it wasnt a typo! IT IS %100) the engine temp. was between 210-215 the whole jorney.

Now I will just hope it will hold freon at least for the summer! I know its a joke to have a almost daily driver big block early C3 with a working A/C in Qatar's heat! but I am still trying! wish me luck.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:44 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
IMO, sounds like you need more freon....another 1/2-1 full can....

as a guess....I fill 134 untill my lo side ready 30 or less psi with engine on 2000+ rpms.....

wonder why you are using 134, then most other nations in the world use R12, I thought we were the only stupid ones in the world that way....

as if you can't tell, I HATE then enviro nuts with a passion....

Originally Posted by HamadUP
I just came from the A/C shop, they added some more R134 and the now the high pressure reads about 260 and 50 on low and the A/C started blowing cold right away, thats a very good thing to experience! I drove the vette home and in a 30 min trip the A/C was still blowing cold and no unusual thing happened, all went smoothly. And at a 95F with almost %100 humdity (yeah, it wasnt a typo! IT IS %100) the engine temp. was between 210-215 the whole jorney.

Now I will just hope it will hold freon at least for the summer! I know its a joke to have a almost daily driver big block early C3 with a working A/C in Qatar's heat! but I am still trying! wish me luck.
Glad to hear you got it blowing cold air!

Get notified of new replies

To whats the safe high and low pressure reading for a A6 compressor with R134?

Quick Reply: whats the safe high and low pressure reading for a A6 compressor with R134?