Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covering seats for a C3 looking for advice

Old 04-14-2017, 01:49 PM
guggie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering seats for a C3 looking for advice

I'm going to redo the seats in my 1974 C3. Looking for advice from members who have done this in the past. Mine are "medium saddle vinyl". Need suggestions, like who did you get your covers from? Do you need to rebuild the entire seat cushions plus covers ? Is there any new cushions that give a better ride then the originals? Who has the highest quality of reproduction covers out there? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The new CA foam is the best on the market place. I've installed both CA and Ak... and I've done five sets of seats in the last six weeks. The seat covers, I don't have a preference on, they both seem equal... but the foam from CA has the correct IDF and was retooled a few years ago... the stuff fits and works like a glove.

As far as doing this job yourself... I'd go watch the installation video CA has on their website. http://www.corvetteamerica.com/video/70_75scInstall/ While the video is awesome, they do call some of the clips by the wrong size. The seat back clips are not 1" they are 3/4" and you'll go batty trying to find 1" clips.

You should also purchase a high quality set of hog ring pliers... the cheepo pliers won't last you 1 seat back.

I would also pay close attention as to how the seat back clips are installed because if you try to push the corrugated wire to below the clip you'll brake it.. the 3/4" clip is installed with the pull tool by getting it close and then flipping it over the corrugated wire.

The other key... centering the seat back cover on the foam for proper molding alignment. This is critical and spacing is possible to get the molding centered... you just have to tug and pull your butt off to get it perfect.

Use the sale codes available until Sunday and you'll save on either AK or CA... I carry and sell both.

Here are some links for you:

seat covers
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...-medium-saddle

Seat foam
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...iece-set-70-74

Seat installation kit. <--- you'll need this.
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...tall-kit-70-78

Seat installation tool.. <-- to do the job right you'll need this too.
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ion-tool-53-96

Corrugated wire set... ,-- if yours are rusty and crusty.. you may need these.
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corrugat...12-piece-68-78

Hog ring plier good set. <-mid level but the same pliers I've used for 10 years.
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ed-model-53-96

I hope this helps and if you get stuck doing the job, you can contact me at Support@Willcoxcorvette.com

-Willcox
The following users liked this post:
Stingre' (04-18-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Unless things changed, CA has a better video guide for seat covers then AK.
Next set, if I ever need them I'll be more than happy to pay someone else to do the job. The seat bottoms are easy, I had a real tough time with joining the seatback cover together on the back side.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06LMB
Unless things changed, CA has a better video guide for seat covers then AK.
Next set, if I ever need them I'll be more than happy to pay someone else to do the job. The seat bottoms are easy, I had a real tough time with joining the seatback cover together on the back side.

As one that installs all covers.. to me the hardest cover to install is the 1970-1975 seat back.. You must take your time and you should double and triple check the fit of the upper molding. When you first poke the holes for this molding you should always make sure to loosely tighten the nuts... this is so you can move the cover if the molding isn't centered... this is about the most critical point in the installation.

Willcox
Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I did my own seats using the Corvette America foam and leather covers.. i bead blasted the frames, welded up cracks, reinforced the seat and back frame webs then painted them up. I took a ton of pictures too. When I reassembled them, I pulled up the CA videos and watched a part of the video on my computer, then performed that step. Moved onto the the next part of the video, performed that task. And so on.
i always get asked by other corvette giys who did my interior. It looks great!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
I did my own seats using the Corvette America foam and leather covers.. i bead blasted the frames, welded up cracks, reinforced the seat and back frame webs then painted them up. I took a ton of pictures too. When I reassembled them, I pulled up the CA videos and watched a part of the video on my computer, then performed that step. Moved onto the the next part of the video, performed that task. And so on.
i always get asked by other corvette giys who did my interior. It looks great!

I can't agree more... I don't use the videos, I made my own cheat sheets years ago from taking seats apart and then putting them together...

But I've watched the CA videos and if anyone takes the time to watch them "step by step", anyone can do the installations.

I will say that the "gently roll the cover over" is made to look way easier than doing the job... I'd hate to arm wrestle the guy in that video.. lol

Willcox
Old 04-18-2017, 01:52 PM
guggie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your help. Right now it looks like I'm going to go with "Corvette America" covers and form and let a local upholstery shop do the install.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:23 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Any trick on the little bottom s clips to keep them from popping off? Those are a pain in my opinion. A few of mine pop off from time to time and then whenever I have the seats out of the car I reattach them all.

I've tried using a pliers to make them tighter and whatnot (obviously while they are off the leather so as to not damage the leather).
Old 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by guggie
Thanks everyone for your help. Right now it looks like I'm going to go with "Corvette America" covers and form and let a local upholstery shop do the install.
That's exactly what I did . Corvette America leather seat covers and new foams but I let the installation of the leather seat covers to the professionals and it was not even easy for them. Leather is stiffer than vinyl and harder to stretch.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
That's exactly what I did . Corvette America leather seat covers and new foams but I let the installation of the leather seat covers to the professionals and it was not even easy for them. Leather is stiffer than vinyl and harder to stretch.
I had an interior shop do one seat after I did one and said never again. After having to redo or fix pieces on both over the past 10 years, once you know how to do them its not that bad. Trick is buying the right tools for the job (pliers and whatnot). If I have to do them over at some point...I'll just redo them myself now that I know what I'm doing for the most part (minus the stupid s clips that fall off from time to time on both seats ).

Last edited by raydog9379; 04-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Any trick on the little bottom s clips to keep them from popping off? Those are a pain in my opinion. A few of mine pop off from time to time and then whenever I have the seats out of the car I reattach them all.

I've tried using a pliers to make them tighter and whatnot (obviously while they are off the leather so as to not damage the leather).
Spacing is one key to the S clips on the seat bottom. For instance, you can't put one where the guide for the seat adjuster handle is, so you put one right next to it. The guide (installed after the cover is on the seat) will not allow the flipped over section of the seat to come out if it's installed correctly. Then install two close to the middle and the other one at the other end.

But... I've never had any issue with them coming off after they were installed. Are you sure they are seating all the way down... Next time place a towel on top and tap them just a bit, they may not be seating all the way.

Willcox
Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

I redid the comfort weave in my 69 a couple years ago with Al Knoch covers. It is a job and a half for sure. I was sore for a week. Came out great though.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Spacing is one key to the S clips on the seat bottom. For instance, you can't put one where the guide for the seat adjuster handle is, so you put one right next to it. The guide (installed after the cover is on the seat) will not allow the flipped over section of the seat to come out if it's installed correctly. Then install two close to the middle and the other one at the other end.

But... I've never had any issue with them coming off after they were installed. Are you sure they are seating all the way down... Next time place a towel on top and tap them just a bit, they may not be seating all the way.

Willcox
I'll give that a shot next time I have the pax seat out (have 2 clips loose now on the one) and maybe get lucky and be done with it. If that doesn't work, I might just order some new clips and redo them as maybe they are stretched out or something (they are 12 years old now)...good news is the leather still looks and feels new.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:19 PM
71TTop
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C3 seats

Originally Posted by guggie
I'm going to redo the seats in my 1974 C3. Looking for advice from members who have done this in the past. Mine are "medium saddle vinyl". Need suggestions, like who did you get your covers from? Do you need to rebuild the entire seat cushions plus covers ? Is there any new cushions that give a better ride then the originals? Who has the highest quality of reproduction covers out there? Thanks for the help.
Just saw 35 min. video 2 days ago from Corvette America on doing this. Doesn't look that bad if you take your time. I think I am going to try it.

71TTOP
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Got mine from Willcox

Ordered mine from Willcox, Leather and vinyl drivers. Just installed today on my restored by me clamshells. Couldn't be happier
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

After reading all this, the good the bad and the easy or the hard , I'm not sure what to do , I'd like to try it, cause I hardly never let any one touch my cars , good conversations and points . Ron
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

I ordered new foam and seat covers from wilcox and did mine with my wife, they came out great just take you time and never watch any videos on how to do it. Took about 5 hrs. If you take your time they will come out fine

Get notified of new replies

To Covering seats for a C3 looking for advice

Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Originally Posted by RonR80
After reading all this, the good the bad and the easy or the hard , I'm not sure what to do , I'd like to try it, cause I hardly never let any one touch my cars , good conversations and points . Ron
Honestly, do one and see what you think. If you mess it up you can always take the seat to a shop and they can re-do it as long as your mess up isn't tearing the leather somehow (even that I'm sure someone could fix). If you get completely flustered then have them do the other seat. I did it before any videos were out (circa 2005) and printed instructions were horrible to say the least and missing steps so I just had to figure it all out myself. I got frustrated after doing one and spent a few bucks to have them do the other seat. Videos and whatnot now explain everything and make it much easier. I've basically redone them myself since to tighten things up or fix clips that fell off. It's not bad, it'll take you the better part of a day or a weekend to get it done right if you've never done it before.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Honestly, do one and see what you think. If you mess it up you can always take the seat to a shop and they can re-do it as long as your mess up isn't tearing the leather somehow (even that I'm sure someone could fix). If you get completely flustered then have them do the other seat. I did it before any videos were out (circa 2005) and printed instructions were horrible to say the least and missing steps so I just had to figure it all out myself. I got frustrated after doing one and spent a few bucks to have them do the other seat. Videos and whatnot now explain everything and make it much easier. I've basically redone them myself since to tighten things up or fix clips that fell off. It's not bad, it'll take you the better part of a day or a weekend to get it done right if you've never done it before.
I can see that... The first set I ever did was a nightmare... But now it's like riding a bike for me. Those videos are priceless and take all the headache out of it (aside from the labor in doing them).
Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I had an interior shop do one seat after I did one and said never again. After having to redo or fix pieces on both over the past 10 years, once you know how to do them its not that bad. Trick is buying the right tools for the job (pliers and whatnot). If I have to do them over at some point...I'll just redo them myself now that I know what I'm doing for the most part (minus the stupid s clips that fall off from time to time on both seats ).
The shop said he would do the pair for $200. labor and regretted the low price afterward . Took two guys pulling and stretching but did a great job .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Covering seats for a C3 looking for advice