Sponsored by:

Vehicle moves in Park

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle moves in Park

I have a '74 with Turbo 400 trans. Car starts in park, but will roll backwards if on an incline. Anybody know if an internal trans problem or needs a linkage adjustment? It use to work fine, but gradually got where it would not lock the wheels in park. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Green73
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing the parking paw is broke or not engaging
Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by CORKYVET
I have a '74 with Turbo 400 trans. Car starts in park, but will roll backwards if on an incline. Anybody know if an internal trans problem or needs a linkage adjustment? It use to work fine, but gradually got where it would not lock the wheels in park. Thanks in advance.
If it makes a clicking or clattering sound as it is moving , it is probably just an adjustment on the linkage. It is only partially locking. I just had a 68 firebird that was doing the same thing. Thats all it was.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Green73
I'm guessing the parking paw is broke or not engaging

A parking pawl is a device fitted to a car's automatic transmission that locks up the transmission. It is engaged when the shift selector is placed in the Park position, which is always the first position (topmost on a column shift, frontmost on a floor shift) in all cars sold in the United States since 1965 (when the order was standardised by the SAE) and in most other vehicles worldwide.

The parking pawl locks the transmission's output shaft to the transmission casing by engaging a pawl (a pin) that engages in a notched wheel on the shaft, stopping it (and thus the driven wheels) from turning.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Where is the location of the parking pawl on a Turbo 400 and is this a job normally for a transmission shop?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I'd sugget checking the adjustment of the shift lever first. Simply jack up the driver's side a little (be extra careful to prevent rolling) and you'll see the shift lever on the side of the tranny. It will have a cable attached. Push it all the way forward (the cable will probably have that much give). If it feels like it engaged or clicked, the shift cable probably needs a simple adjustment. Otherwise, start looking at the pawl.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:01 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I cant remember on the 74 how much if any adjustment you have but I believe there is a cable for the column lockout also.Make sure that cable going to the column has not kinked and is keeping the lower shift cable from going into park.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Georgia1974
Instructor

I started having the same problem this weekend, car wants to roll in park "mine does click like BJ1K stated, and also I had to start pushing the shifter up to engage the neutral safety switch to start it. I was going to check the linkage adjustment this weekend. I am looking forward to following this post.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
I'd sugget checking the adjustment of the shift lever first. Simply jack up the driver's side a little (be extra careful to prevent rolling) and you'll see the shift lever on the side of the tranny. It will have a cable attached. Push it all the way forward (the cable will probably have that much give). If it feels like it engaged or clicked, the shift cable probably needs a simple adjustment. Otherwise, start looking at the pawl.

and...
start using the parking brake
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The parking pawl is a mechanical pin which is moved into a locked position in PARK setting; it engages mechanically, and is likely broken off inside the tranny. If adjustment doesn't work, you should get estimates from a tranny shop to fix the parking pawl. You shouldn't need a tranny rebuild unless significant damage resulted.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Georgia1974
Instructor

Corkyvette

I could not wait to adjust mine, I followed the Haynes manual. Removed the nut on the transmission select lever where the cable is attached put the transmission in park and the shifter in park. Put a .040 spacer in front of the shifter and tightend the bolt and all is good. Stops in park and all gears shift correctly. Only 5 bud lights and it was done.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 AM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Yes, look's like I need adjustment. Went under the car and pushed forward a little and it locked. I'm just going to do the whole six pack. Thanks to all. Now, I know about the Park pawl which I was unfamiliar with.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
PONYUP
8th Gear

HELPPPPP!!! im am wore out. was doing the rear brakes and wile tighting a bolt on the rear axcel wile in park and on jack stands. something gave. the rear axcel stared turning. oh crap was my responce. so i got in the car and fired it up wile it was still on stands. no tires on the rear. it started in park but made an loud, no a LOUD!! grinding sound. i put it in all the other gears. no grinding sound. so today i droped the trans pan and took a look at the pawl and the gear it locks into they do not look bad. pawl looks realy good, yet wile on stands and me pushing up on the pawl to make sure it holds gear inplace. i can still roll the tires with my foot. and thoughts. sencerly tired,deflated and plum wore out.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

As you've so quickly realized, YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE THE REAR WHEELS TURNING WHEN THE CAR IS UP ON JACK STANDS. Those half-shafts & U-joints don't like rotating when they hang down.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgia1974
Corkyvette

I could not wait to adjust mine, I followed the Haynes manual. Removed the nut on the transmission select lever where the cable is attached put the transmission in park and the shifter in park. Put a .040 spacer in front of the shifter and tightend the bolt and all is good. Stops in park and all gears shift correctly. Only 5 bud lights and it was done.

Wow, really. 5 bud lights during a job that shouldnt have normally taken more than 30 minutes. Your sir do drink alot.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:56 PM
prowlerboy
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any pics avail for posting which shows the parking pawl as attached to the shifter?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:19 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

This thread is really old. 2007. May need to ask your question in a new post.

Get notified of new replies

To Vehicle moves in Park

Quick Reply: Vehicle moves in Park