Sponsored by:

Hood Alignment - Rubber Hood Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 79SharkMan
Ok...This is a great post! So, if the only problem I'm having with alignment is that the hood is up a bit too high on the driver's side just below the windshield, do you think doing this adjustment alone will take care of it, or is it a combo of this adjustment + new rubber bumper?

Might be both. I suggest tightening that spring tower cone and the rubber bumper and see where it puts you. If that lowers the sides of the hood in relation to the fenders then you may have to raise the rubber blocks.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
79SharkMan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Might be both. I suggest tightening that spring tower cone and the rubber bumper and see where it puts you. If that lowers the sides of the hood in relation to the fenders then you may have to raise the rubber blocks.
Thanks! I ordered the bumpers yesterday afternoon.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! I ordered the bumpers yesterday afternoon.

I'm in Louisville a few times a year with my Fiancee visiting her family. Maybe I'll have to plan one of the trips around a local Louisville Vette show so I can meet some of your local members.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Hey Sharkman! I guess we are neighbors!

Durango, Louisville has 2 large vette clubs and some nice shows put on by both. I will see if I can post a schedule for you, if I can find one. I think they both may have one more this year.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Ed T
Hey Red, i think i have some new ones in my spare parts pile, let me check before you order them. I will check later to be sure.

you can have 'em N/C , shoot me an email,

if you are coming over by Cookeville you can pick them up or i can mail them.
Thanks for the offer . . . just sent you an email.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:34 PM
jobber26
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default different times;different engineers

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Using the rubber bumpers helps compensate for any sag/mis-alignment of hood to fenders at side of hood....these hoods are long and some need support....in my case on the 78,I positioned the bumpers inway of the mis-alignment,and closed the hood repeatedly trimming bumpers with a razor blade until hood was flush....this takes some trial/error....generally speaking,you can start with one bumper about 10 inches forward of windshield and another about 9 inches in from radiator end,and adjust from there....

Interesting is my 69 coupe has no bumpers but hood is flush to fenders along both sides within 1/16"......

Thumbnail...click on pic

Rich

That's because in 1969 Chevrolet cared a little bit more about what they were making and all the booze and drugs had not taken their toll as yet on their brains like it did in the 70s...
Old 06-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jobber26
That's because in 1969 Chevrolet cared a little bit more about what they were making and all the booze and drugs had not taken their toll as yet on their brains like it did in the 70s...
This thread is from 2007.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Ok...This is a great post! So, if the only problem I'm having with alignment is that the hood is up a bit too high on the driver's side just below the windshield, do you think doing this adjustment alone will take care of it, or is it a combo of this adjustment + new rubber bumper?
Attend to the windshield-fender fit with careful adjustments..
Once that is good then deal with the side of the hood to fender height.
The rubber bumpers have 3M sticky on top and sides.
To get the best fit on my 78 I first used modeling clay to see what amount of height was needed where in the sides of the hood.Then I put the rubber block spacers on a bench mounted belt sander wit 100 grit and took them down evenly so when installed the hood closes properly and it latches-unlatches cleanly The results made for a clean good looking continuity from hood edges to fenders.
MY car had small marks where the hood rubber bumpers were once installed..but they were long gone. I ended up with two bumpers on one side of the hood and only one on the other..Jim
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

sorrry about the upsid deown pic..my computer skills are sadly lacking..Jim
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Default Nice fit to your 78 hood

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
Attend to the windshield-fender fit with careful adjustments..
Once that is good then deal with the side of the hood to fender height.
The rubber bumpers have 3M sticky on top and sides.
To get the best fit on my 78 I first used modeling clay to see what amount of height was needed where in the sides of the hood.Then I put the rubber block spacers on a bench mounted belt sander wit 100 grit and took them down evenly so when installed the hood closes properly and it latches-unlatches cleanly The results made for a clean good looking continuity from hood edges to fenders.
MY car had small marks where the hood rubber bumpers were once installed..but they were long gone. I ended up with two bumpers on one side of the hood and only one on the other..Jim

Your hood turned out beautifully... wish I could do that to my '76. I have a gap at the rear/windshield of 1/2" above the fenders; the required adjustment makes the hood not stay shut, esp. when making a turn... one side always pops loose. Do you think trimming the hold down spring and pin to a shorter length would work?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Your hood turned out beautifully... wish I could do that to my '76. I have a gap at the rear/windshield of 1/2" above the fenders; the required adjustment makes the hood not stay shut, esp. when making a turn... one side always pops loose. Do you think trimming the hold down spring and pin to a shorter length would work?
I'D avoid any trimming-cutting down of original fittings if possible..
gotta be a way to adjust the spring-stops and latches to get the windshield end of the hood to lay down properly.SORT OF A FINE LINE BETWEEN SO tight the hood doesn't release cleanly and having it pop open from flexing..DO your release latches open simultaneously..or does one open ahead of the other?..My crossover cable was stretched out and I ended up shortening it 1/2" on passenger side and recrimping it properly to get both sides of the hood to unlatch at the same time.Stay with it and be persistent short of getting a bigger hammer..Jim
Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

For the rubber snubbers on the fender edge, I used pieces of heater hose..glued in place with RTV black......been that way for some decades now.....
Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 AM
jobber26
Instructor

Default Hood sits high in the rear

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
I'D avoid any trimming-cutting down of original fittings if possible..
gotta be a way to adjust the spring-stops and latches to get the windshield end of the hood to lay down properly.SORT OF A FINE LINE BETWEEN SO tight the hood doesn't release cleanly and having it pop open from flexing..DO your release latches open simultaneously..or does one open ahead of the other?..My crossover cable was stretched out and I ended up shortening it 1/2" on passenger side and recrimping it properly to get both sides of the hood to unlatch at the same time.Stay with it and be persistent short of getting a bigger hammer..Jim
When I open the hood with the hood release latch in the cockpit, the hood opens the regular way with both sides releasing simultaneously, and when you drop the hood from about a foot up, it closes both latches just like factory... the opening one side at a time or popping loose while driving one side at a time only occurs when I screw the latch pins down to make the hood sit flush at the windshield, like yours, if I can get it to shut at all when it's adjusted this tight... one time I adjusted it to be flush to the fenders and then couldn't get it opened on the passenger side; released it from underneath, thank God. My present dilemma is that to have the hood open and close correctly, I have to have a hood that sits with a 1/2" gap (or more) above the fenders at the rear; you can see it while driving, plus this really lowers the value of an otherwise fantastic restoration...
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (06-17-2017)
Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

When I open the hood with the hood release latch in the cockpit, the hood opens the regular way with both sides releasing simultaneously, and when you drop the hood from about a foot up, it closes both latches just like factory... the opening one side at a time or popping loose while driving one side at a time only occurs when I screw the latch pins down to make the hood sit flush at the windshield, like yours, if I can get it to shut at all when it's adjusted this tight... one time I adjusted it to be flush to the fenders and then couldn't get it opened on the passenger side; released it from underneath, thank God. My present dilemma is that to have the hood open and close correctly, I have to have a hood that sits with a 1/2" gap (or more) above the fenders at the rear; you can see it while driving, plus this really lowers the value of an otherwise fantastic restoration...
With the hood open, take your hand and manually close both latches.
MAKE CERTAIN they are both completely in the closed-latched positions.
Then, use the release pull inside the cockpit to release them.
There are springs on my latches that are part of the release mechanism So make sure they are in place.Check tension on crossover cable and lightly lube the latches themselves.
It is possible the onle latch isn't completely closing when you close the hood and so flex and or vibration cause it to release when you don't want it to..Fiddle with the latches and scrutinize the cable connections with hood open.Suspect you'll discover the root cause for your hood anomaly..

There should also be two 1" rubber plugs under the hood-windshield on each side somewhat concealed in the wiper channel that you can push out into the engine compartment IF your hood won't open for any reason..look at them and their orientation to the latch release points they give access to..Make up a simple tool that you can use if your hood won't open for any reason.Experiment with that with hood open and latches closed til you get the hang of it. Take some pics perhaps and measurements..THAT is the best way to open a hood when latches-cables don't function normally.The rubber plugs are easily reinserted once you get the job done..The passenger side
latch is pretty much straight thru the cowling via that side hole..Driver's side is in and then right then left and more convoluted to access IF hood is closed and that latch isn't working. I started my wipers and **** them off in the vertical position to get them out of the way when I had problems with my hood not opening..OR you can remove the whole wiper-arm..but that's more work and not necessary..Last thing to verify is that your hood is mounted straight so the hood to fender gaps either side are close in dimension..IF the hood wasn't mounted properly this can bind things up and make for problems..Jim
Old 06-28-2016, 12:04 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

jobber26, out of curiosity, during the 'restoration' of your 77..was the hood removed for painting engine compartment work etc..
It's possible that if it was it wasn't quite reinstalled properly...Perhaps if you revisitedg the folks who did the work that they could determine IF that may be the underlying cause/..Jim
Old 06-28-2016, 12:16 PM
ptaleo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods
In most cases,yes...my 78 hood was 1/4" low inway of the fender radius on both sides....so the rubber bumper raised it flush...the trick is adjusting/trimming both bumpers on each side to equalize hood at side inway of front clip(fender).
Did you have to adjust the catch after the hood was raised?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:47 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ptaleo
Did you have to adjust the catch after the hood was raised?
AS a note for folks who are have or need to add the four(or fewer) rubber bumpers..:Because the near 40+ year old cars are not or never were perfectly done in that area.. .Earlier in this thread there was posted a base diagram about the fitting QC clearances for the hood..Not sure which years it covered..but your AIM should have one for your year..

ALSO remember that heat from the sun or engine will help the hood to conform better after the rubber bumpers are positioned..( initially anyhow)....Where they may end up finally going ( LS-RS) may not be symmetrical left to right.You may need to adjust their height or locations slightly when all settles in..

YOU ALSO NEED TO start with the hood hinges on any adjustments, shim-work so when closed the front of the hood is laying flush with the front of the fender clip..This is especially important if the car has been restored from any collision in the past or hood has been removed for engine work or body-paint work in it's former life..Jim
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (06-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Hood Alignment - Rubber Hood Bumpers