Vintage road race pics

Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Pop Chevy
CF Senior Member

look again.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Pop Chevy
CF Senior Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I was cleaning up my shop this evening (a very rare occurrence) my camera was handy so I took a few shots of my old race car pics. Pics have been in the frames since the 70's so I didn't want to remove em. Sorry for the glare. One shot of my 66 and a few of my 76 along with my 1st dirt track car..
Attached Images    
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pop Chevy For This Useful Post:
69ttop502 (10-01-2016), bobbarry (10-01-2016)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 AM
79C3tnd
CF Senior Member

Bringing this awesome thread back to life!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Alex66
CF Senior Member

Thank you, for bringing back up! Great Pictures!!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:50 AM
The13Bats
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alex66 View Post
Thank you, for bringing back up! Great Pictures!!
I second that , i never get tired of the real racers
Old 01-29-2017, 12:55 PM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

In May of 2015 I went to buy the original Minilite wheels off my racer (see avatar), they were up on a mezzanine in a 4000sq machine shed up past the Wisconsin Dells, this `70 was sitting for 29 years under the Mezzanine so I made an offer, 3 months later it showed up in my driveway, thats the original 70 coupe clip on the front of the trailer, for sale if anyone wants to go vintage racing
Attached Images    
Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 PM
63Corvette
CF Senior Member

My 1969 L-88 Corvette IMSA racer

In another galaxy, far, far away, I also raced a 750 Kawasaki at "The Bridge" (Bridgehampton). One year it snowed;-)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 01-29-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

Great pictures Garrett! That is an early full face helmet you're wearing.

I've got to think that The Bridge was treacherous on a motorcycle, with all the sand that use to blow around there.

Are you going to be racing this year?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:10 PM
63Corvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gbvette62 View Post
Great pictures Garrett! That is an early full face helmet you're wearing.

I've got to think that The Bridge was treacherous on a motorcycle, with all the sand that use to blow around there.

Are you going to be racing this year?
Hi Glenn. Yes, in 1977 I highsided and broke some bones and spent the night in Southampton hospital. Sue Roper died. In the morning my wife pulled my Comp Bike license. I "hope" to race in 2017, but we will have to see, because my schedule is not yet finalized.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM
79C3tnd
CF Senior Member

Great pics, and awesome stories!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
Pocono. Doesn't sound right. I found my log book and it has "June Sprints" entered. Being that the race was cancelled and rescheduled it turned into a double nat. I was working for a steel mill and couldn't get the time off to return. I was always a shoestring racer and still am ! I build my cars from scratch, I enjoy that almost as much as driving them.
I hope to roll my chassis outside tomorrow ,I'll have to shoot some pics. Thanks for the contact info ! Pops
''june sprints'' is a race from ''elkhart lake,wis'',also known as ''road america'',it could be from other places too but since I started going in the early 70's .its been called that
Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 PM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

the June Sprints is an SCCA national (now known as majors) race put on by the Chicago region of the SCCA at Road America which as posted is in Elkhart Lake, WI
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
international blue
CF Senior Member

I absolutely love this thread...and please for those who did back in the day, add your stories of the times. As one who was not old enough to be there, your stories and recollections are priceless.

A series of shots from the Pro Team site of the ex DeLorenzo/Wetzel L88 that flew overseas to race for years...

Its interesting to me that the car was raced with the soft top in most of the pictures, and the hardtop isn't really seen much until later. Unusual?

Last edited by international blue; 01-30-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 AM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
I found my log book and it has "June Sprints" entered.
Pops
Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
''june sprints'' is a race from ''elkhart lake,wis'',also known as ''road america'',it could be from other places too but since I started going in the early 70's .its been called that
Originally Posted by redvetracr View Post
the June Sprints is an SCCA national (now known as majors) race put on by the Chicago region of the SCCA at Road America which as posted is in Elkhart Lake, WI
I'm well aware of the Road America "June Sprints", but Pop is right, Pocono called their SCCA Nationals, the June Sprints also. It was later moved to July, and the name was changed to the "Pocono Sports Car Grand Prix" The Pocono SCCA races were promoted by Oscar Koveleski, and run by the SCCA Tri-Region.

For those that don't know, Oscar Koveleski was an SCCA road racer, from the 50's till the 70's. Some of the cars Oscar raced included MG's, Ferrari's, Lotus' and Cobra's. He also raced McLaren M6B's and M8B's in the Can-Am. But to those of us that grew up in the 60's, building model cars and racing slot cars, Oscar's probably better known as the owner of the large model and slot car mail order company, Auto World. Oscar was also the founder of the PRDA, the Polish Racing Drivers of America. I still have my membership card (being Polish was not a membership requirement!). I still see Oscar at Watkins Glen and some other places.

Tri-Region was a collaboration of the Philadelphia, Northeast PA and South Jersey Regions of the SCCA, formed to run SCCA road races in the PA/NJ area. I belonged to the South Jersey Region at the time.

Below is the cover of the 1981 program for the Pocono June Sprints.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Alex66
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by international blue View Post
I absolutely love this thread...and please for those who did back in the day, add your stories of the times. As one who was not old enough to be there, your stories and recollections are priceless.

A series of shots from the Pro Team site of the ex DeLorenzo/Wetzel L88 that flew overseas to race for years...

Its interesting to me that the car was raced with the soft top in most of the pictures, and the hardtop isn't really seen much until later. Unusual?

C3 with Race Number 131, what a Beauty!!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by international blue View Post

Tony Delorenzo did not race the black/yellow car it was his street car, they "prepped" the car for Tony`s friend German Pan-Am pilot Curt Wetzel who raced it in Germany for one year 1970, he sold the car to the Porsche factory who thought they would get rid of Wetzel who went back to his friend and had the Owens-Corning team build Wetzel an L-88 Corvette (pic below), Wetzel raced his O-C built car in Germany 71-72, he won the very prestigious 50th anniversary race at the Avus in Berlin, this time the Porsche factory cried loud enough for the German ADAC series to change the rules and make Wetzels L-88 Corvette weight 4000lbs, Wetzel sold the car to (amazing enough) a Canadian Porsche dealer in St Catharines Ont.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2017, 11:56 AM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

While looking for the Pocono program above, I found the following pictures in other Pocono programs and one from a Summit Point Program.

The first picture is of the 80 GT-1 Corvette we raced from 81-84. This picture is from the mailer for the 1984 Pocono Nationals.

This picture is of the same 80 Corvette, but was taken from a Summit Point Program. This is our Corvette in turn one at Summit, pulling the right front tire off the ground. That car always did that at Summit turn one, though usually not as extremely. We made changes to stop it, but the car went slower, so we put it back the way it was. Summit had this picture on the title page of their programs, for many years, and also had it on track posters.

I realize these two pictures aren't of a Corvette. The pictures are from the 85 Pocono Double Nationals program, of our tube frame 85 Camaro, that we replaced the Corvette with. We spent the spring running some SCCA Nationals in preparation for our "pro" debut at the Memorial day Lime Rock Camel GT. We were running 3rd with 7 laps to go, when we blew the rear, but we were still credited with 9th place. Two weeks later we took the car to Summit Point for an SCCA National, were we set a new GT-1 lap record and won our race. The 85 Pocono Double Nationals was the last amateur race we ran with the car. We started 2nd and finished 3rd, behind the 2 factory backed Nissan 300 ZX's of Paul Newman & Jim Fitzgerald (Newman took the pole and won the race). After that we only ran Trans-Am races, and the occasional IMSA GTO race. I'm holding the checkered flag from the passenger side of the picture below, at Summit Point.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:47 PM
79C3tnd
CF Senior Member

24 Hours of Le Mans in 1972. According to the story, the #4 Corvette hit 212 mph down the Mulsanne straight! Would have loved to have been there...
Attached Images     

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vintage road race pics

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: