Sponsored by:

Rallye Wheel Center Caps Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 PM
ajkogut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rallye Wheel Center Caps Repaint

You know how you have certain things that you look at every time you see your car (or anything else for that matter) and it just bugs you?

Well, mine are the center caps on my rallye wheels...specifically, the painted grey part in between the chrome louvers on the perimeter. In many areas, the chrome is perfect but the grey needs to be redone, as it has worn away. The replacement caps (same ones I have) aren't real cheap and I'd much rather refinish the ones I have, since the chrome is perfect.

Has anyone touched up these painted areas before? Is it just a matter of some tediously-placed masking tape and scotch brite to rough the surface before reapplying the paint? Then should they be cleared or just top coated? Should I try to remove the remaining paint before doing any of this? Lastly, does anyone know the proper color for these areas and can anyone recommend a certain type of paint that will stick well?

Incidentally, one of the sidepipes on the car that needs the exact same treatment. Hopefully I can use the same idea for both.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought reproduction caps, nice pieces except the first time I hit them with the hose.

I'll be listening
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 AM
ajkogut
Instructor

Default Answered my own question...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...nter+cap+paint

Shortly after I posted that, I found the thread above in the archives.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've repainted the "ribbed section" of the rally centers,..came out great! Pretty easy,..about 3 hours for four caps, but worth it!

1) Remove the center section from the "brim"

2) Strip the existing paint with a mild stripper,..Home Depot has a couple of choices

3) Clean with soap and water and thoroughly rinse. Dry with a lint free towel.

4) After a couple of hours, tape off the upper section (the part that has the "General Motors Division" embossed). Don't worry about the ribs, you're gonna paint over them.

5) Spray with your favorite gloss black paint,..I like Rustoleum in a rattle can, or if you have a gun, you can use it though it's not necessary. I use gloss, because after a couple hundred miles and 3-4 washings, the gloss will turn to correct "semi-gloss".

6) Allow to dry for 24 hours then remove the taping

7) With an old t-shirt for rags and lacqer thinner, carefully remove paint from the ribs. After about 3 or 4 of the seemingly 400 ribs, you'll get the hang of it. Try your best to only make contact with the ribs with your L-thinner.

You're done and your rally caps will look like new.

Good luck

Last edited by 73, Dark Blue 454; 10-26-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:42 PM
phclub
Racer

New England Events Coordinator

Default Try this

I cut a small square from a paint pad (the kind used to paint the edging of a room, found at Home Depot) the width of the painted area (3/8 by 3/8 inch roughly). I glued this to the end of a pencil. The painted each area on the cap easily with one or two strokes. Tape the cap area to keep a clean edge at the end of the cap.

No fuss no muss!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
cosquare
Instructor

I was planning to repaint the center hubs on my '68 after having the wheels refinished in rallye silver. Thanks for the suggestion on painting the valleys between the ribs in the center hub. Great winter project!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:47 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a quick fix with the center off tape all the way around the bottom to stop the black paint. Put some black spray paint in the cap. With a small brush with lots of paint let it flow from the top to the tape in each pocket. No clean up and just paint over the paint that is still on them. They may not be perfect but real close and in one hour all 4 are done.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 AM
Green73
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine apart, basically sprayed the whole thing black. Immediately after I wiped everything I wanted chrome down with a shop towel with paint thinner. Worked great and quick. Have fun.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 73, Dark Blue 454
After about 3 or 4 of the seemingly 400 ribs, you'll get the hang of it.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

That's not gray; it's semi-flat black. Krylon is a near perfect match.

Original GM caps disassemble which makes restoration much less of a pain. Disassemble, clean the parts, shoot the Krylon, wipe off the chrome with lacquer thinner and a rag.

Get notified of new replies

To Rallye Wheel Center Caps Repaint

Quick Reply: Rallye Wheel Center Caps Repaint