C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...

Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Probably all of the modern safety equipment is what's adding to the weight. C3s had minimal excess structure.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think modern "sports cars" are really Grand Touring cars now. Everything is heavy, heavy, heavy. Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. are all 3000# plus. Remember that AC Cobras back in the day were less than 2000# (maybe a little more with a big block). But when the factory can build a streetable motor that puts out 500+ HP, the buying public apparently doesn't care if the car is overweight.

Temvette72
Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Anywho, I think I'll stick with my C3 rather than the new corvettes...maybe if I have the money one day, I'll be able to afford one of those. Got my new CDI torque wrench in today - its the same one Gary uses to setup his differentials and steering boxes. I want to do it right, so I bought the tools needed to do the job...I'll have them for the rest of my life, which is good to know.

Name:  DSC02367.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  108.1 KB
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
Anywho, I think I'll stick with my C3 rather than the new corvettes...maybe if I have the money one day, I'll be able to afford one of those. Got my new CDI torque wrench in today - its the same one Gary uses to setup his differentials and steering boxes. I want to do it right, so I bought the tools needed to do the job...I'll have them for the rest of my life, which is good to know.

I agree! I have had a couple of newer Vettes, but I keep coming back to the classics. The sound, the smell, and the looks we get make bustin' knuckles worth it!!!!

temvette72
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
js292
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to do it right, so I bought the tools needed to do the job...I'll have them for the rest of my life
Good thinking on you part, I keep telling my employees not to buy cheap tool because they are just a waste of time and money. I started building my set when I was you age and now I pretty much have a tool for everything. Just remember not to lend too many out as they seem to disapear
Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by js292
Good thinking on you part, I keep telling my employees not to buy cheap tool because they are just a waste of time and money. I started building my set when I was you age and now I pretty much have a tool for everything. Just remember not to lend too many out as they seem to disapear
I have to admit - sometimes I get suckered into those bargain tools at princess auto (canada's version of harbor freight). I've learned over the years that its good to get small punches, hammers and other kinds of tools like that. Those damn chinese prices are so hard to resist The other good thing about princess auto is that if a tool breaks, no matter how bad you abuse it, they will take it back no questions asked (even without the bill).
Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Jeremy, I just read this thread all the way though, and I have to say I can't believe how impressed I am. I'm exactly twice your age and have never dreamed of tackling as much work as you have done. I've swapped engines in ohter cars, stripped the vette and made it ready for paint, redone the rear end in a Camaro, but I"m not even in the same league as you. GREAT WORK! Keep the pictures coming.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Jeremy, I just read this thread all the way though, and I have to say I can't believe how impressed I am. I'm exactly twice your age and have never dreamed of tackling as much work as you have done. I've swapped engines in ohter cars, stripped the vette and made it ready for paint, redone the rear end in a Camaro, but I"m not even in the same league as you. GREAT WORK! Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Goobzilla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I haven't posted since the 1st page, but I just wanted to say "Keep going, you're doing great!". I've got a '55 Ford P/U I'm working on and you are an inspiration.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Goobzilla
So I haven't posted since the 1st page, but I just wanted to say "Keep going, you're doing great!". I've got a '55 Ford P/U I'm working on and you are an inspiration.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jeremy, I bet those people who were talking crap earlier are becoming tight lipped now. I remember at the start how everyone was telling you were in over your head. Keep up the good work, I'm following your posts and enjoying it!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rayluka
Hey Jeremy, I bet those people who were talking crap earlier are becoming tight lipped now. I remember at the start how everyone was telling you were in over your head. Keep up the good work, I'm following your posts and enjoying it!
I don't think anybody has seen the car/frame since it came back from the powdercoaters. I think my dad and his friend are fixing my sister's ford jokus (no...this is not a typo ) today. I don't remember him saying anything negative to me other than the fact that I shouldn't be getting an old car like this because they are hard to maintain - I'll keep you posted
Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 PM
jontis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't hold out on us! Post those pictures.

I just wish I had you motivation and time. Keep up the good work.
It's a joy to see
Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

It also kind of bothers me when family friends come over for dinner and look at my car and ask when it will get done - because i know in their right mind that they think it will never get finished. Someone also came over and said that it looks the same as it did 2 months ago...that really hurt.

quote from post 21
Old 01-23-2008, 07:15 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Update!

I got my new offset trailing arms in from Van Steel two days ago and had both arms assembled in the same day. I can see the parking brakes being a *&tch toassemble if your trailing arms are still on the car (because of gravity and parts falling everywhere), but if you have your arms on the workbench...they really aren't that bad - honestly. I heard a tip somewhere in the archives to tie the springs with fishing line, then after you get them set right on the pins, you heat the line through the hole in the spindle using a propane torch (don't hold it in one spot assuming the line will break, point it towards it...you just want the line to break so the spring pops up). It worked great. These offset arms make the stock ones look like a popsicle stick...I can't believe how sturdy and strong these new ones are, I'll never use stock arms again. Remember that one hole in the caliper mounting bracket which I tapped for a 1/2''-20 bolt over the stock 7/16'' bolt? Well, I finally enlarged the caliper so it would fit, everything lined up perfect. I was going to use an ez-thread insert and make a 7/16 bolt fit, but the risk was way too high...if I messed that up, I would have to setup the trailing arm bearings all over again.

Name:  DSC02371.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  DSC02382.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  DSC02385.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  DSC02376.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  86.7 KB

I also changed the upper control arm bolts using a nifty trick I picked up over on the DC forum. I went the NAPA and picked up some lug studs which were almost the exact size as the control arm bolts (I'll have to get the part number from the box, its laying around here somewhere). I did one bolt at a time and pulled each on through using a nut and a 4 foot piece of pipe for leverage on a wrench; it couldn't have gone any smoother. This way I don't have to hold a wrench on the other side when I am doing an alignment, which would have been a pain in the *** if I had just used regular bolts.

Name:  DSC02392.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  DSC02394.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  DSC02396.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  52.1 KB
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM
jlelec
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Great Work!

I am also very proud to see a young person taking interest in restoration! Especially a C3. You are doing a great job. I just finished a 69 Camaro for my daughter and I am still a Vette man! The Camaro is a nice car, but you will be prouder of the Corvette. The Camaro is believe it or not more expensive to fix! The one I bought was a $6000 parts car. I am still proud of my work, but I still prefer vettes. I hope to soon get a C3 convertible, probably a rubber bumper to put in the garage. Here is a picture of my Camaro just for kicks!

Name:  DSC01199.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  137.8 KB
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlelec
I am also very proud to see a young person taking interest in restoration! Especially a C3. You are doing a great job. I just finished a 69 Camaro for my daughter and I am still a Vette man! The Camaro is a nice car, but you will be prouder of the Corvette. The Camaro is believe it or not more expensive to fix! The one I bought was a $6000 parts car. I am still proud of my work, but I still prefer vettes. I hope to soon get a C3 convertible, probably a rubber bumper to put in the garage. Here is a picture of my Camaro just for kicks!

very nice. Maybe I'll restore a Camaro in the future...you never know. I'll always be a vette man though

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...

Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Looking good!

I also changed the upper control arm bolts using a nifty trick I picked up over on the DC forum. I went the NAPA and picked up some lug studs which were almost the exact size as the control arm bolts (I'll have to get the part number from the box, its laying around here somewhere). I did one bolt at a time and pulled each on through using a nut and a 4 foot piece of pipe for leverage on a wrench; it couldn't have gone any smoother. This way I don't have to hold a wrench on the other side when I am doing an alignment, which would have been a pain in the *** if I had just used regular bolts.
That "nifty trick" just re-invented the wheel. The stock upper a-arm bolts had a regular bolt head with splined shafts to hold them in place - like a wheel stud with a hex head. I got a new set from Van Steel.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Looking good!

That "nifty trick" just re-invented the wheel. The stock upper a-arm bolts had a regular bolt head with splined shafts to hold them in place - like a wheel stud with a hex head. I got a new set from Van Steel.
Yeah, I know the stock bolts had splines...so I didn't re-invent the wheel. There are many reasons why I went this route - they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the stock bolts, I think I paid $8 for five of them (I got one extra). It was way faster for me to just run to the store rather than have to wait for them to come in the mail. The last reason I chose this route is because the splines are much larger than the stock bolts. Think about it, the stock bolts were originally in there...so reinstalling the same (but new replacement) bolts may not work because of previous galling in the hole. The larger splines on the lug studs I used are a much tighter fit...and I honestly beleive it is the better route. I live all the way up in Canada, so shipping takes a long time...I would have had to wait for two weeks for four bolts.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Yeah, I know the stock bolts had splines...so I didn't re-invent the wheel. There are many reasons why I went this route - they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the stock bolts, I think I paid $8 for five of them (I got one extra). It was way faster for me to just run to the store rather than have to wait for them to come in the mail. The last reason I chose this route is because the splines are much larger than the stock bolts. Think about it, the stock bolts were originally in there...so reinstalling the same (but new replacement) bolts may not work because of previous galling in the hole. The larger splines on the lug studs I used are a much tighter fit...and I honestly beleive it is the better route. I live all the way up in Canada, so shipping takes a long time...I would have had to wait for two weeks for four bolts.
My car has had some serious "bubba" wear and tear, and I only had one hole galled to where the stock bolts wouldn't hold - and that one was my fault (bolt is harder than frame...drive bolt out, don't turn it... ). I fixed it with a little bit of brass shim stock wrapped around the splines, now it holds very tight.

From your post, I didn't think you were aware that the bolts were splined - I thought maybe some Bubba had installed regular bolts in the past.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...