Sponsored by:

Small fiberglas repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
emtmike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small fiberglas repair

I know I'm not the first or the last person that has done this but I chipped some fiberglas when putting my T-Top back on . It was the first time putting it back on since I bought the car and it wasen't pushed flush, and when I went to clamp the lever down, the rear pin chipped the fiberglas . What would be the easiest way of fixing this small chip. It's small enough I was thinking of filling it with touch up paint and smoothing it out. What do you people think would be the best way, and will you need a picture to help you with an answer .
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 PM
ngroat7007
Racer

pictures can never hurt
and is it on the bottom by the latch?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Tony24
Instructor

Default Chip

Sure you didn't just chip the paint.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, pictures would help. Sounds as if you only chipped off the paint. Damage to the fibreglass would have required more effort on your part.

If the paint is chipped, gradually build up paint with touch-up paint. If using a touch-up paint bottle, do not use the enclosed paint brush. All you need is a toothpick (round preferably, snap one end off to allow toothpick to hold paint).

Dip broken end of toothpick in paint and dab paint into the damaged paint chip. Keep paint below the surface. Go back an hour later and repeat. Go back an hour later and repeat. Slow and light applications will show best results. If a clear coat finish on surface make last couple of touch-ups with clear.

Highly unlikely that you will get a 100% colour match because the paint is not being sprayed on like the rest of the vehicle, but it will take the obvious look away.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
vettehed
Instructor

I think you have options depending on the extent of the damage:
fiberglass repair - mix up some resin and "chopped up" fine glass to make a soup and apply it. Mask off the area to keep from making a larger problem, then file off the excess after it cures.
filler - use bonding adhesive as it is stronger and more resilient than body filler, unless it is in an area that it cannot be chipped off again easily, then just use body filler.

If its just a deep paint chip due to multiple layers of paint, you may still have to fill it as opposed to applying multiple layers of touch up because paint does not have enough build up qualities.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
emtmike
Instructor

Here are some pictures of that small chip. It seems maybe I chipped the paint, but also some fiberglas .

Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut the loose stuff away with a sharp x-acto knife, then mix up some 1 hour epoxy and fill in very carefully so there's just a little extra. After it cures, wet sand it smooth level with surrounding surface and touch up with several layers of paint, wet sanding each coat until it's a good as you can get it. Then polish with some compound.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Small fiberglas repair

Quick Reply: Small fiberglas repair