Sponsored by:

Need to vent about a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Count your blessings Phil. It sounds like, in the long run, that car would have cost you a lot more than it was going to be worth. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Nick The Great
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS_VETTE

Where I'm from a handshake is as good as the man behind it. A deal is a deal, otherwise what's the use. But, in this case maybe it was the best thing. Thank the wife and keep looking.
The world was a better place when you could shake a man's hand and that was it. I almost had to call my lawyer when we bought her car last year or even when I bought my new TV. paperwork
Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette Crazzy
EXACTLY! people ordering food in restraunts while talking on their phone. trying to wait on a customer who is on their phone talking to someone else at the same time. VERY VERY IGNORANT.

BTW... WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT THAT THE WIFE NEEDED? THAT COULD'NT WAIT 15 MIN!

PEOPLE ON CELL PHONES CAN BE VERY INCONSIDERATE.

yes i have 1. its my only phone. but people need to show a little consideration

vc
fire away!

you have to remember that at 75yo this man comes from a completely different time in our country
and more than likely he felt slighted by you taking the call and not being polite enough to let it go.

and just a reality check for you guys, how many of you can remember what it was like living without a cell phone?

and how many of you could live without one right now?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Just for the record and for the guys that hate cell phones, the guy wasn't even near me at the time the phone rang, I was inside the car and he was messing with his garden tractor that was sitting by the garage, about 50 feet away.

My cell call had nothing to do with him walking back in his house for a few minutes.

Enough about the cell phone call.

Like was stated, a handshake is a deal. I didn't hold a gun to the guys head and say he had to sell it at that price. Actually, before I even offered to buy at all, he had already dropped the price $500 to $5,000.. Now, how many of you would have said "sold" without offering another $500 less? Also, how many would not answer your phone if it was your wife? There was no reason to pass on the call because the guy wasn't in any hurry for me to quit looking at the car.

Now, here it is, the next day and Im actually feeling good about not having that POS in my garage where my "cherry" 80 once sat. As for calling the guy back and begging him for forgiveness on my lowball offer, GET REAL! If he was to call me back, I would reduce my offer to $4,000 and have him deliver it the 50 miles to my house.
If anyone would like to call this poor old guy, Im not going to put his number here, but it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to find his number in the Medford Oregon Craigs List.
And by the way, if you call on the car, be sure to tell him hi from me.
Worse yet, if you actually buy the car.. the best of luck to you. The history on the car is even a mystery to the old guy. He even denied putting in fresh sparkplugs after leaving the new plug boxes sitting behind the seat. The guy just couldn't keep his stories straight.
Buyer beware....
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

You're playing off the car and telling others to beware but YOU actually bought it. He backed out of the deal so clearly you're upset about the transaction NOT happening.

We (I) drew a conclusion about the cell phones based upon the way you told the story....no worries, sounds like it worked out the way you really wanted it to. Didn't mean to offend, just sharing my prespective.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I understand handshakes mean everything to a deal, how many times have you heard the story from guys calling about cars that they will be there in a hour and never showed. The story about the My wife didnt like the color I changed my mind, Im waiting for a check from my long lost Uncle, the dog swallowed the keys. Im sure we all have horror storys, we all like to vent, It will bug you for a couple days and you will move on. Good Luck on your search.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your wife would not mind doing you a favor by calling the guy and making a ridiculously low offer. He may sell it because I dont think he is unhappy about the price.

What cracks me up is you calling him again on your way back pretending as a different person
Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3rd_Vette
Just for the record and for the guys that hate cell phones, the guy wasn't even near me at the time the phone rang, I was inside the car and he was messing with his garden tractor that was sitting by the garage, about 50 feet away.

My cell call had nothing to do with him walking back in his house for a few minutes.

Enough about the cell phone call.

Like was stated, a handshake is a deal. I didn't hold a gun to the guys head and say he had to sell it at that price. Actually, before I even offered to buy at all, he had already dropped the price $500 to $5,000.. Now, how many of you would have said "sold" without offering another $500 less? Also, how many would not answer your phone if it was your wife? There was no reason to pass on the call because the guy wasn't in any hurry for me to quit looking at the car.

Now, here it is, the next day and Im actually feeling good about not having that POS in my garage where my "cherry" 80 once sat. As for calling the guy back and begging him for forgiveness on my lowball offer, GET REAL! If he was to call me back, I would reduce my offer to $4,000 and have him deliver it the 50 miles to my house.
If anyone would like to call this poor old guy, Im not going to put his number here, but it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to find his number in the Medford Oregon Craigs List.
And by the way, if you call on the car, be sure to tell him hi from me.
Worse yet, if you actually buy the car.. the best of luck to you. The history on the car is even a mystery to the old guy. He even denied putting in fresh sparkplugs after leaving the new plug boxes sitting behind the seat. The guy just couldn't keep his stories straight.
Buyer beware....

I have been in similar situations, and a cell phone call has kept me from making a big big mistake. I was sitting at a stop sign one day waiting for traffic to pass, and had been waiting for awhile, when a guy from the other side approached the stop sign on his side. As he got there, traffic let up, I pulled out as he came through the stop sign, never stopping, and he started cussing me and motioning for me to pull over. WEll, I'm a big boy so I pulled over. He pulls up along side of me, and starts yelling, I yell back, and as he starts to pull away, I couldn't resist, I yelled back one last time. He slams on his brakes, gets out, and as he approaches my window, my cell phone rang, it was a customer, and that is how I make my living, so I answered it. I was about to get out and stomp a mud hole in this guys a$$, (or get mine kicked) as I explained to my customer what was going on. He told me he would hold on while I took care of the situation, but I knew that we would both be arrested if I did get out and fight this guy. So, I rolled up my window as he's cussing me, and took care of my business. He was in the wrong, and if your in the wrong, I don't care how big or small you are, your gonna get your butt kicked. Long story made longer, my cell phone saved me from either killing this guy as I do carry, and giving me a criminal record, and ruinning my life. Be glad your wife called when she did. It probably saved you from making a HUGE mistake..
There are plenty of other cars for sale out there anyway..
Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by rajsid
Maybe your wife would not mind doing you a favor by calling the guy and making a ridiculously low offer. He may sell it because I dont think he is unhappy about the price.

What cracks me up is you calling him again on your way back pretending as a different person
Never pretended to be someone else. I just asked questions about the car and if it was still available. My reasoning regarding the callback was the thought that that he received a higher offer from someone while we were at the bank. Just was interested in finding out if the car had "just sold".

By the way, Arn't you the guy that I sold my Alum wheels to at a bargan basment price? I gave you a fantastic price and even paid the "paypal" additional charges because you used a credit card. Did I **** and moan about that? No... A deal was a deal.

This thread was just a way for me to VENT about a Vette and its seller that couldnt be Honest and keep his word. That was it. Now I have every Tom, DICK, and Harry, making more to it and picking apart things that really didnt apply to what actually happened in this guys driveway. (Yes, you really needed to be there to see how it all played out)

I think it is time to close the thread. We must have had a full moon out last night by looking at some of these replies Ive received.
80% of you guys actually got the picture. 20% of you couldnt resist chiming in and talking out your butts, regarding my wife and my cell phone, that I might add had nothing to do with the OLD FART who couldnt keep his word on a sale. As for you 20%, you are just as bad as the Old Fart. Its time you go on to the next thread and bash someone else. Ive seen a few of your other posts on other threads. It seems that you have nothing better to to than to talk SMACK abouot things that really don't apply!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM
hardworkinman
hardworkinman
Support Corvetteforum!

Never pretended to be someone else. I just asked questions about the car and if it was still available. My reasoning regarding the callback was the thought that that he received a higher offer from someone while we were at the bank. Just was interested in finding out if the car had "just sold".

By the way, Arn't you the guy that I sold my Alum wheels to at a bargan basment price? I gave you a fantastic price and even paid the "paypal" additional charges because you used a credit card. Did I **** and moan about that? No... A deal was a deal.

This thread was just a way for me to VENT about a Vette and its seller that couldnt be Honest and keep his word. That was it. Now I have every Tom, DICK, and Harry, making more to it and picking apart things that really didnt apply to what actually happened in this guys driveway. (Yes, you really needed to be there to see how it all played out)

I think it is time to close the thread. We must have had a full moon out last night by looking at some of these replies Ive received.
80% of you guys actually got the picture. 20% of you couldnt resist chiming in and talking out your butts, regarding my wife and my cell phone, that I might add had nothing to do with the OLD FART who couldnt keep his word on a sale. As for you 20%, you are just as bad as the Old Fart. Its time you go on to the next thread and bash someone else. Ive seen a few of your other posts on other threads. It seems that you have nothing better to to than to talk SMACK abouot things that really don't apply!
WELL SAID>>>
Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

I usually do not just jump in to a disscussion unless I have something, that I feel adds to the vaule of what is being said.....I do not know anything about "venting"....or much of anything else for that matter.....But if I see A BIG OLD FAT PIG WITH A CORK IN ITS BUTT.... I HAVE LEARNED ....THAT IS EASY TO PULL THAT CORK OUT ....PUTTING IT BACK IN IS A PROBLEM.....So, I just (try) walk on by now days....knowing that there is a reason why some pigs are fat.......Yes, your right. See y'all down the trail !

Last edited by TEXASDESERTVETTE; 01-03-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: most poop washes off
Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Unfortunately, the majority of the elderly are an enormous PITA with a ridiculous entitlement complex. By far the rudest age group based on my personal observations.

Last edited by I'm Batman; 01-03-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I would be like you, scratching my head. I would also like to know what he was thinking that made him change his mind so quick. For me its about the curiosity of the whole situation
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
falcon125
Intermediate

Default Curious

So you and the old fart went to the bank together?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...his wife was prolly on the Interweb looking at ProTeam's late model C3 prices when he went inside...
Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Yeah, those elderly are a pain in the old wazoo. Too bad we needed them to be our parents and grand parents so that we could all be raised to the level of ultimate perfection in which we now exist. Otherwise they'ed just about be useless. I never cease to be astounded by the level of ingratitude and flat assed rudeness that many of the "younger" generation display toward their elders.

As for ranting about the Vette that got away that he didn't really want anyway that he went to the bank to draw the money out to buy that he shook hands on, maybe 3rd Vette should be reviewing the transaction and considering how he might have handled it differently. Maybe it wasn't the cell phone call at all. Actually, I think the suggestion that he call and discuss the situation with the seller might be very enlightening.

I have a cell phone on my belt as I'm writing this post. It stays OFF during business meetings or other situations where I don't want to be interrupted or I don't want to offend those I'm dealing with by implying that the matters we are discussing aren't the most important thing I have to deal with. Being considerate of other people is a small price to pay. And, FYI, most cell calls are not a matter of life and death, as suggested earlier.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to vent about a Vette

Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i am 38 and have bought and sold a few muscle cars in the past 15-20 yrs and if im selling and someone keeps interupting my conversation answering a cell phone i usually ask them to come back when they have the time to spare and go inside, on the buyer side if im lookin and asking questions and the seller puts me on hold to answer a cell phone i will leave and not go back!! IT is rude!
The last car i bought (71 chevelle) the guy my age 32-40 kept yakin on a phone while i was asking questions after driving 3 hours to look at the car. I was getting pist and the older gent that was there must have noticed cause he told the other guy to leave and then said it was his car and his son-in-law was trying to help him sell it (for a cut)! he was polite and considerate and knocked the price from 5500 to 4800 if i would take it right then and there so i did, the s-n-law didnt get his cut it stayed in my pocket!!!LOL
Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by blunblk68
i am 38 and have bought and sold a few muscle cars in the past 15-20 yrs and if im selling and someone keeps interupting my conversation answering a cell phone i usually ask them to come back when they have the time to spare and go inside, on the buyer side if im lookin and asking questions and the seller puts me on hold to answer a cell phone i will leave and not go back!! IT is rude!
The last car i bought (71 chevelle) the guy my age 32-40 kept yakin on a phone while i was asking questions after driving 3 hours to look at the car. I was getting pist and the older gent that was there must have noticed cause he told the other guy to leave and then said it was his car and his son-in-law was trying to help him sell it (for a cut)! he was polite and considerate and knocked the price from 5500 to 4800 if i would take it right then and there so i did, the s-n-law didnt get his cut it stayed in my pocket!!!LOL

I see we have another know it all that feels he needs to chime in with something that has nothing to do regarding this situation.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well,75 years old asking $5500....drops price to $4500....your cell rings...he goes inside tells wife...she says" Wilbur,are you nuts...??? You you we need $5000 for the truck load of viagra"....

Anyway..some deals are made..and some are not...

Quick Reply: Need to vent about a Vette