Sponsored by:

Need to vent about a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to vent about a Vette

I found an add for a 1980 Corvette last night on "Craigs List". I called the guy last night and he said it was still for sale. I said I would call in the morning before I made the 50 mile drive to see it. Well, this morning, I called the fella and said I would be there within the hour. I then headed to his place to find the 80 Vette sitting in the driveway. It wasn't a show piece by any means, but had potential. He was asking $5500 for the car, which was a rather good deal regardless. After driving the car and taking note as to all the repairs that would be needed (rear brakes and rotors, complete interior, paint work etc.) I offered $4500. He agreed. We BOTH went to the local bank where I got CASH for the transaction. We headed back to his house and I was about ready to final the deal. I received a call on my cell phone that took about 3 min. In the time it took to take the call, the guy went into his house for a few more minutes. (I forgot to mention that this guys is about 75 years old). He then came out as I was laying out the cash and said he would NOT sell me the car. At this point, I was rather confused since we shook on the deal before we went to the bank! . I looked at him and said, what is the problem. He just replied that he would not sell me the car and then went into the house and shut the door. Needless to say, I was just a bit P-Oed, so I got into my truck and started my 50 mile ride back home. Just for the heck of it, I picked up my cell phone and called his number. I asked if the car was still for sale. His reply was yes, what can I tell you about the car. (yes, I was a bit shocked). I asked all the usual questions and he recited a few things that didnt jive with what he had just told me in person 30 minutes earlier, such as mileage and cond. Then I asked if anyone else had shown interest in it yet. He asid that "some guy came by earlier and was going to buy it but he ticked me off, so I didnt sell it to him". All I did was look the car over, take it for a ride, make an offer which was accepted, went with the old fart to the bank (Im 54) and then try to hand him the CASH. All I can say is what a waste of my day! A warning to anyone that tries to buy this POS from the guy in Medford Oregon... Don't waste your time. I highly doubt that he will sell it once you pull out the cash anyway. I think he must have some real issues . I was totally honest and very nice to the guy and he treated me like crap when it came time to close the deal.
This was not by any means a "barn find". It had 135,000 miles on it, bad paint (2 tone yellow), really bad body work, cracked dash, needs complete interior, rear brakes, r-s door didn't fit well, l-s door rubbed front fender and rear quarter, and a owner that couldnt keep his stories straight about anything regarding the car. It was a good looking car from 50 feet though.
Ok.. Im off my soap box now. I guess I should feel lucky that I didn't buy the thing. It would have cost me another $10k or more just to bring it to the standard of my 80 that I sold 5 months ago My only real beef was that we shook on the deal, went to the bank together and then he backed out as I was ready to give him his price and drive away....

Rant off

Last edited by 3rd_Vette; 01-02-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

That's just strange. The guy was probably offended that you interrupted the business transaction to take a cell call.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by C3 RV
That's just strange. The guy was probably offended that you interrupted the business transaction to take a cell call.
Normally, I wouldn't have answered my cell but it was my wife..

Last edited by 3rd_Vette; 01-02-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like you made the right decision.. He probably did you a favor!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Thats why I usually leave my cell off. 99.9% of the calls can be returned.

PS, I'd love the hear the Old Fart's version.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 AM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Thats why I usually leave my cell off. 99.9% of the calls can be returned.

PS, I'd love the hear the Old Fart's version.
Call him... and yes, 99.9% of all cell calls can be returned but I always answer if it is a call Im expecting from the wife. That is one reason why my marrage has lasted over 31 years.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
Sounds to me like you made the right decision.. He probably did you a favor!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 3rd_Vette
Call him... and yes, 99.9% of all cell calls can be returned but I always answer if it is a call Im expecting from the wife. That is one reason why my marrage has lasted over 31 years.
Thats more important than any vette.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe his wife made the call when he went in the house...Whatever,what a j-off for wasting your time like that!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Vette Crazzy
Drifting

Originally Posted by C3 RV
EXACTLY! people ordering food in restraunts while talking on their phone. trying to wait on a customer who is on their phone talking to someone else at the same time. VERY VERY IGNORANT.

BTW... WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT THAT THE WIFE NEEDED? THAT COULD'NT WAIT 15 MIN!

PEOPLE ON CELL PHONES CAN BE VERY INCONSIDERATE.

yes i have 1. its my only phone. but people need to show a little consideration

vc
fire away!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

WAIT. what was so important, maybe she needed milk and wanted him to stop on the way home. Maybe she was having a heart attack and she needed him ASAP. Maybe she was just saying Hi. Its his phone, its 2008, its the reason why we have cell phones. How would he feel if it was the last words spoken to him from his wife before she died? You never know what the other person wants, be it a loaf of bread, or she fell down the steps. Cars come and go, people just GO. You can bring a car back from the dead, not many people get that chance. The old guy actions were wrong, but Im taking the call if its me.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
WAIT. what was so important, maybe she needed milk and wanted him to stop on the way home. Maybe she was having a heart attack and she needed him ASAP. Maybe she was just saying Hi. Its his phone, its 2008, its the reason why we have cell phones. How would he feel if it was the last words spoken to him from his wife before she died? You never know what the other person wants, be it a loaf of bread, or she fell down the steps. Cars come and go, people just GO. You can bring a car back from the dead, not many people get that chance. The old guy actions were wrong, but Im taking the call if its me.
and maybe it was just absolutely nothing and it offended the old man that just droped his price a $1,000 so he would have expected the guys attention. Answer the call, ask if it's an emergency then call back...15 seconds...no harm no foul, people can tell when you're being considerate...answer and spending three minutes talking to the wife about something that could have waited is pretty rude to a 75 year old guy...different era. Cell phones have created a whole new level of inconsiderate conduct.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

PS Call him back and apologize saying you didn't really realize that you may have offended him....I'm willing to bet he'd sell you that car. Life is too short, help him out and you get what you want. You'll probably feel a lot better then you feel right now.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Vette Crazzy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
maybe maybe maybe

maybe the old guy has every right to be pist off about YOU wasting HIS time.
most old people dont understand the need for cell phones, nor do most have one
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I agree with the 15 seconds if not an emergency, I will call you back, but I think he was pissed at the price being 4500 bucks instead of 5500. He had time to think and said HELL with this, Im keeping it. Older people dont have cell phones, (I got one for my Mom 2 Christmases ago and put her on my plan) but they should have them. We all are getting older, no one here is getting younger. I have the piece of mind that if she breaks down, feels sick, or just wants to call, she can anytime. Im sure the guy being 75 probably didnt want to hassle with him when he backed out. Its the same courtesy he wanted that he didnt give back. Just my take
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many times a person that age will just change his mind and won't sell at the last minute. On older vetts it has happened to me.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
435/427BB
Racer

I'm from the South and a deal is a deal. The handshake before you went to the bank is the same as a contract. If your word isn't any good, neither are you!

Get notified of new replies

To Need to vent about a Vette

Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

yeah you pissed him off. what's more important? you chose to answer the phone and that showed him something he did not like. end of story. move on.

Last edited by dar322; 01-03-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

My $0.02....

He probably felt you low-balled him, you took a phone call in the middle of the transaction, this pizzed him off on top of being low-balled, he called off the deal.

One thing that ticks me off is when I'm in a store, cash in hand ready to buy an item and the clerk takes a phone call and spends 5 minutes giving information to a potential customer. What's the adage about a bird in the hand?

I guess phones can be life savers, or deal killers.

(From your description of the car it was probably a good thing you took the call. Shell out a couple thou extra and get one that doesn't need so much work. Take the wife out to dinner, she saved your azz)
Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
RDS_VETTE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 435/427BB
I'm from the South and a deal is a deal. The handshake before you went to the bank is the same as a contract. If your word isn't any good, neither are you!

Where I'm from a handshake is as good as the man behind it. A deal is a deal, otherwise what's the use. But, in this case maybe it was the best thing. Thank the wife and keep looking.

Quick Reply: Need to vent about a Vette