Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping the vette safe in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's this.... As an extra measure, you could hook up a motion sensor to a recorded sound of a dog barking in the garage. This would be very simple and cheap. Plus, a fake dog requires no daily care and feeding. I wouldn't bother with much more than a chain on the handle. Face, it, you need to make it a pain in the *** so they find an easier target elsewhere, but if someone wants in, they can find a window in the house or something to gain entry. I would strongly suggest that you don't advertise the fact that the car is in there. For instance, don't work on the car at night with the door open. Then, fewer people will know it's there in the first place.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM
donnd
Racer

Originally Posted by eastltd

Who would break into a kitchen?

Must be a Canadian thing.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I live in rural Minnesota. We leave the doors open when we go on vacation......
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

I live 3.5 miles from the main highway, out past the ****-fighters (seriously) and across the creek. Suffice it to say it's a very rural area. Because my garage is un-attached and behind my house with the walk-out basement I do fear that someone could get back there and have a party if I weren't home. Other than keeping my doors locked I don't employ any other theft deterrent devices. I'm afraid that if I made it too hard for someone to get my car they'd just get p-oed and damage it rather than take it. I'd rather have all of my insurance settlement than a portion of my car and a check for the reapair estimate.

I do like the idea of putting bolts in the garage door tracks though. Maybe that's the weekend project!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
donnd
Racer

Somtimes I use gard dog too!!!!! lol
Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I'd look for a garage with no windows even in the door and like people suggest, dont' advertize what you've got. I'm fortunate to live in an area that I dont' worry about it at all.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Good locks on the entrances and a monitored security system.
If they get past that...Hagerty Insurance.
If I'm home and they try it, we'll let's just say the holes won't be in the Vette.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have no external handle on the over head door and a good electric door opener that locks. On the side door I installed a dead bolt, if you have windows in the garage cover them up. Oh and install a motion activated lights high above the external doors.

Last edited by Jims79; 01-04-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
weimer20
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jordynbruno31
I have my home security system monitor the doors and windows in my garage so if anything opens, you and the neighbors will know. I am a cop and have seen a lot of devices. As we all know, if they really want it, they will get it. You can install motion sensor lights on the outside, a steel door with a steel door jamb, keep all bushes trimmed (the one's around your house that is) so that no one can hide around them, put military grade film on the windows so they could stop a bullet, and the list could go on. But the one I like which i've seen inside a house is secure a shotgun to the ceiling and face it towards the window or door and connect high strength fishing wire to the trigger and window or door so if you open it, you will know who attempted to get in when you get home! Of course, make sure it's disconnected when you are the one entering or exiting through that entrance or exit.
Rig up something like that shotgun deal and you will go to jail in a quick hurry if it ever get "used". You're a cop, you should know that and certainly shouldn't "encourage" anyone to do something that could get them in a bunch of trouble. Besides, (something else you know from being a cop) deadly force used solely for the protection of property is something that is much harder to justify in court.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
NJVette77
Drifting

Originally Posted by moosie982
I was gonna suggest a good dog but make sure its a female, only because they squat,, ,,,Peace,,,Moosie

What's wrong with yellow tires?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM
74Blackfoot
Racer

Originally Posted by jordynbruno31
I have my home security system monitor the doors and windows in my garage so if anything opens, you and the neighbors will know. I am a cop and have seen a lot of devices. As we all know, if they really want it, they will get it. You can install motion sensor lights on the outside, a steel door with a steel door jamb, keep all bushes trimmed (the one's around your house that is) so that no one can hide around them, put military grade film on the windows so they could stop a bullet, and the list could go on. But the one I like which i've seen inside a house is secure a shotgun to the ceiling and face it towards the window or door and connect high strength fishing wire to the trigger and window or door so if you open it, you will know who attempted to get in when you get home! Of course, make sure it's disconnected when you are the one entering or exiting through that entrance or exit.
Guys (and girls) if you do anything at all, do NOT do this! I can not remember which state it happened in. But an old man did the same thing with his back door when he went on vacation. The local law enforcement patiently waited for him to return from his trip and then charged him with pre-mediated murder.

Yeah I know the intruder got what was coming to him, I agree with that 100%. But you have to remember the society you live in too. Welcome to land of liars, crooks, lawyers and sheep. Check your knives, guns, and common sense at the door.

Edit: Weimer20 types faster than I do. I know it's OT, but can some educate me on a "film" that makes glass "bullet proof."

Last edited by 74Blackfoot; 01-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eastltd

Who would break into a kitchen?
Looks like you're a good cook.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Kiowa Scout
Burning Brakes

This is my primary security system.
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ent=Rex001.jpg
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Better then lojack >>>> www.guidpointsystems.com

I sell lots of these.............transferable to your next car no charge, will call your cell, beeper or e-mail you if your car moves outside a 1 mile perimeter after you parked it. lojack works on cell sites & must be linked with a police department that has a lojack receiver car. this works on satalite. you can even track your car online live !!
AWSOME !!!

BTW
CURIOUS WHICH IS THE FEMALE ???

Quick Reply: Keeping the vette safe in the garage