Sponsored by:

Parking brake handles

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
nw2571
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking brake handles

I'm looking at all the catalogs and the parts on my car. Is it really true that the parking brake handle is an assemble and that I can't just replace the plastic pistol grip handle??? Damn you GM engineers!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen the entire assemblies only because I also tried to buy just the handle for my 68 and had no luck.
Also, be careful as not all emergency handle assemblies are the same.
Kurt
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
chvet73
Pro

Default Handle

Yep. Pulled mine up one day and the button flew out and hit the windsheild. Took me a minute to figure out what had happened. Had to buy the whole handle. Pretty easy fix.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 AM
69 Convertible
Burning Brakes

How do you take the console off. The screwws on the side I got, but something else is holding it. Tony. 69 vert
Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

there's a bolt that protrudes from the back end of the console and goes thru into the center storage compartment. it's hard to access.
jeff
Old 01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Convertible
How do you take the console off. The screwws on the side I got, but something else is holding it. Tony. 69 vert
You need to remove the storage compartment doors first, then the complete door frame. Then you can get to the bolt.
The handle can be bought as a complete assembly but is a "replacement", or you can get just the "correct" handle by itself. ZIP has both.

Last edited by GD70; 01-10-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NOT TRUE!!!! I bought many assemblies to find the best plastic handle for my 69. Button pulls off and is the only thing holding the grip on, will pull right off the chrome piece. Once new or better used grip is on, just replace the button, you may need to apply some type of wire tie piece in the hole to give it grip or other plastic shim type device, but it will stay on, at least my 69 has been on over 10 yrs. The button is pressed on, metal rod is knurled, so pulling it off may remove plastic from the inside of the button. Contact if you need help......Bruce

Last edited by corvetteload; 01-10-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
nw2571
Instructor

Great news Bruce! Question is, where do you get new parts? Does anybody sell just the handles?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you replace the assembly, how do you remove the tension on the parking brake cable?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nw2571
Great news Bruce! Question is, where do you get new parts? Does anybody sell just the handles?
ZIP
http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/sear...&Gift=&GiftID=

Paragon p.44 in their catalog, though they don't say if it's "correct"
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Handles aren't made, I bought several used units to find a "mint" handle, and if I remember correctly I took an NOS gm unit (all new chrome, wrong handle) and put the orig handle on it.
As for the tension, there is none unless the handle is pulled on, if I remember, only 2 bolts hold the unit down, and the cable has a "barrel" on the end and just slips into a slot. Once handle is unbolted, maneuver unit to get cable out of slot. It's alll the console housing and other sh*t that are the problem, once all that is removed the easy part is removing the handle unit.
DON'T FORGET:::::::::::::: The handle housing has a bolt hidden in the rear tray area securing the back of the console!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Paragon p.44 in their catalog, though they don't say if it's "correct"[/QUOTE]

If it's the GM replacement, it's not, and thats what it looks like. Orig is black plastic with checker pattern and chrome plastic trim, replacement is almost like padded.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Jeff Salz over on the NCRS.org forum is the person that has refurbished emergency brake handle assemblies. They are very nice.

There is a difference in the diamond pattern on the side of the black plastic grip handle. 1967 & 1968 use a slightly different embossing than 1969 and up.

The bolt that holds the emergency brake console in place can be accessed by removing the passenger side compartment tray under the lid. and sticking your arm/hand down under and below the center compartment tray and feeling toward the forward center. You should be able to feel that bolt head. Very difficult to reach, but doable.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 PM
nw2571
Instructor

early shark, Any chance you have contact info for Jeff? I think you have to buy a membership to post on NCRS... right? Anyway, if you can PM me an email address or phone number I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM
halfmoontrail
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to buy a membership to post on NCRS... right?
Maybe now, but not in the past
Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you have a small enough hand/arm, you don't have to remove the storage doors. You only have to take the removable "tub" out of the right-side compartment and the jack stuff, as well. Move your right seat forward and fold it forward to the dash. You should be able to reach your left hand into the jack compartment and feel the head of the rear console attachment bolt..I believe the head is 7/16". Rachet it all the way out and save the bolt. Do whatever you need to do with console off, then Take the bolt you removed and hacksaw the head off of it. Use a grinder to round off the end you just cut so that it's smooth and round, then screw it into the threaded piece on the rear console. Now but a nut on the bolt threads so that you can lock it in place on the console. When you go to install the console, just tip it with the backside down and engage the "bullet-nosed" bolt in the bulkhead hole, then push the console down in place and install the other screws. You'll have a rear console that stays in place..but you'll never have to wiggle that bolt out again!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

early shark, Any chance you have contact info for Jeff? I think you have to buy a membership to post on NCRS... right? Anyway, if you can PM me an email address or phone number I'd appreciate it.
nw2571,

You'll find Jeff Salz's answer at the NCRS archives. type in "emergency brake handle", a thread on January 25, 2007 will give you his reply and you can e-mail him directly.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake handles

Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
nw2571
Instructor

Same thing, won't let me e-mail without a membership. Couldn't find contact info anywhere.... I'll keep looking. If anyone has it, I'd appreciate a PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by early shark
The bolt that holds the emergency brake console in place can be accessed by removing the passenger side compartment tray under the lid. and sticking your arm/hand down under and below the center compartment tray and feeling toward the forward center. You should be able to feel that bolt head. Very difficult to reach, but doable.
- I've done it this way a number of times.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you have a small enough hand/arm, you don't have to remove the storage doors. You only have to take the removable "tub" out of the right-side compartment and the jack stuff, as well. Move your right seat forward and fold it forward to the dash. You should be able to reach your left hand into the jack compartment and feel the head of the rear console attachment bolt..I believe the head is 7/16". Rachet it all the way out and save the bolt. Do whatever you need to do with console off, then Take the bolt you removed and hacksaw the head off of it. Use a grinder to round off the end you just cut so that it's smooth and round, then screw it into the threaded piece on the rear console. Now but a nut on the bolt threads so that you can lock it in place on the console. When you go to install the console, just tip it with the backside down and engage the "bullet-nosed" bolt in the bulkhead hole, then push the console down in place and install the other screws. You'll have a rear console that stays in place..but you'll never have to wiggle that bolt out again!!!
Great idea! I'll have to remember that if & when I need to remove the rear console.
Glenn

Quick Reply: Parking brake handles