Sponsored by:

Looking at a 71 LT1 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by a560156
LT1's with EEC (NA9) used an additional vapor return line on the left side for L46 and LT1. Therefore the tank does have oulets on both sides with this option. Ask me how I know.
I'll bite.
How do you know? And please tell me what EEC is...
Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
I'll bite.
How do you know? And please tell me what EEC is...
Thanks,
Greg
Evaporative Control System was an emissions that came on 70s sold in CA (NA9) and all 71s and 72s. It consists of a carbon canister located on the driver side that has a hose the runs to the PCV valve on the driver valve cover and a line that runs from the consiter along the driver side frame rail to the tank. All this is on the driver side. Fuel return line from the carb run on the passenger side.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwsusi
if you have to have an LT-1 it might be a good way to get into one without spending all the money for a restored car.

BTW - the one you're looking was built close to mine.... engine - 116063 V0330CGZ body - I30
This is what I did. I had a nice 71 LT-1 coupe, but wanted a 70 LT-1 convertible. I bought a kinda rough 70 for less than I sold the 71 coupe. I've redone the brakes, suspension, clutch, cleaned up the interior, plus some other detailing and now have a nice driver.

BTW - My 71 was 115803 V0401CGZ body I23.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I personally know of someone who recently sold a very well documented 36000 mile 72 LT-1 coupe with air for just under 60K, and even he said the buyer paid too much, so I would say that was on the high end of what they are worth in outstanding conditon (outstanding original condition in this car's case).
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The gas tank is a red flag. Is there a 'story' behind the changing of it (because it is not original...or the car was not an LT-1 from the factory)? With the date codes being different (I would have expected the two heads to be nearly the same date), it is more likely that the car has been converted to be an LT-1 in order to get more money for it. Check it carefully before you jump. This would be a good one to have "expert" help in looking over.
Another red flag from my view of the pics is the car does not have the signature LT-1/BB Heavy duty u-joint caps for the half shaft connections to the differential yokes (in lieu of the ones used on the base model cars that look like small muffler clamps)....I can't imagine someone changing them out for the standard type unless this car has been messed with, is not an original LT-1, or the car has had some rear end/half shaft work done in its life. Too many red flags on this one for the money.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 AM
olds120
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone post pictures of the correct LT1 u joint caps? it appeared to me that the car had 2 different types. the ones at the trailer arms looked heavy duty and the ones at the differential looked like a base car has
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by olds120
can anyone post pictures of the correct LT1 u joint caps? it appeared to me that the car had 2 different types. the ones at the trailer arms looked heavy duty and the ones at the differential looked like a base car has
http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...8E7B9CF0ECF277
Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mstanton
Evaporative Control System was an emissions that came on 70s sold in CA (NA9) and all 71s and 72s. It consists of a carbon canister located on the driver side that has a hose the runs to the PCV valve on the driver valve cover and a line that runs from the consiter along the driver side frame rail to the tank. All this is on the driver side. Fuel return line from the carb run on the passenger side.

Close......EEC stood for Evaporative Emissions Control
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

LT1's with EEC (NA9) used an additional vapor return line on the left side for L46 and LT1. Therefore the tank does have oulets on both sides with this option. Ask me how I know.
I am sorry but I beleive you are mistaken.

Yes there is a nipple on the left side for the EEC ssystem. But a 1971 LT-1 did not have a outlet on both sides. There is no reason for a nipple on the passanger side.

It can not be made more clear , LT-1 has no nipple for a fuel return line on the passanger side of fuel tank..

It also offers no help to someone trying to verify if a car is a real LT-1 or not to mention things like a EEC system that both base and LT-1 cars had in 71.

The EEC proves nothing as to rather the car is a LT-1 or not on a 71 model.

David

Last edited by dmayhew; 02-06-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: correct an error
Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by olds120
:

i am thinking even less than 20 to be honest, will have to see what he is willing to accept. i am gonna give it a few days for him to absorb all the things he learned yesterday and see what we can work out.
From what I've seen & read so far, you seem to be on the right track.
26k is far too much.
Given the items you've listed, how long before you've got an additional 20k or more into this car?
I've got to believe, IMHO, with 40k to spend, you should be able to find one completed, with documentation.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

[QUOTE=dmayhew;1563841124]I am sorry but I beleive you are mistaken.

Yes there is a nipple on the left side for the EEC ssystem. But a car with a single fuel line in 1971 ( LT-1 & LS-6 ) did not have a outlet on both sides. There is no reason for a nipple on the passanger side.

It can not be made more clear , LT-1 has no nipple for a fuel return line on the passanger side of fuel tank..

It also offers no help to someone trying to verify if a car is a real LT-1 or not to mention things like a EEC system that both base and LT-1 cars had in 71.

LT-1 had the smog pump. No need for it. Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Allow me to make it clear for you. I see you are new here.

I am not mistaken, but perhaps I did not clarify completely.

No where did I say an LT1 has a RH return fuel line.

BTW, since we are getting “particular” it is:

believe not beleive and
passenger not passanger
Well you seem to want to have a pissing match.

You stated that that the tank does have outlets on both sides. And an additional vapor return line on the left side. The line on the left side is not a return line, since you have to have a feed in order to have a return. It is a line for vapors to be drawn from the tank 1 way and 1 way only to the front. And there are not outlets on both sides on a LT-1 tank.

Only 1 outlet on the driver side for the EEC , no outlet on the passenger side.

Now ,my lenght of time on the forum does not have anything to do with my ability to respond to your initial challange to my posting.

Yes , you qouted me and implied that I was mistaken when I said that there was no nipple on the right side of the tank.

So you seem to feel that you can knock somebody that is trying to assist a member that is seeking help, but God help any body that does that to you.

As for my spelling skills , So I missed on a couple of words. I bet that olds 120 still got the info he needed.

In the end I would rather have correct info with a spelling error over incorrect info with your perfect grammer skills.

In the future may I send my postings to you for review prior to posting?

David
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dmayhew
I am sorry but I beleive you are mistaken.

Yes there is a nipple on the left side for the EEC ssystem. But a car with a single fuel line in 1971 ( LT-1 & LS-6 ) did not have a outlet on both sides. There is no reason for a nipple on the passanger side.

The EEC proves nothing as to rather the car is a LT-1 or not on a 71 model.

David
1971 LS-6 Corvettes did not use a single fuel line set-up. It is unique, in that it is the only Holley equipped engine during the '68 thru '72 shark era to do this.

Last edited by early shark; 01-29-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Originally Posted by early shark
1971 LS-6 Corvettes did not use a single fuel line set-up. It is unique, in that it is the only Holley equipped engine during the '68 thru '72 shark era to do this.
Thanks Early Shark for the info, I was assuming that on a LS-6 since it had a Holley.

I stand corrected.

David
Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

There is a fuel outlet on the RH side and EEC outlet on the LH side on NA9 cars. I have judged many original LT1’s (also own one – bowtie car) and have photographic, empirical documentation as well as concurrence with many other experienced judges which all support my statement. If you have an example which is different, good for you. I appreciate your opinion, so let’s just agree to disagree. I’m off to the judging retreat in Dallas.
Truce

Have fun in Dallas

David
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmayhew
The advice to have some go with you is good advice , but since you are going tomorrow that may be impossible.

There are a few things that only a LT-1 would have , some are pretty easy to change out and some are not very easy at all.

in no piticular order.

1st. No 1970 or 1971 LT-1 had A/C

2nd. Emmission sticker on fire wall behind master cylinder should have letters AX on upper left corner for a 71.

3rd. All LT-1's are 4 speeds. (M20 was std , M21/M22 were optional)

4th. Tach has 6,500 RPM red line on 1970 & 1971 and on 72's w/o AC

5th. All 71 LT-1's came with A.I.R. system. If removed should still have manifolds with holes for the tubes, Car may have headers and if so ask to see old manifolds.

6th. LT-1's had copper radiator W/O a overflow canisiter on the passanger side fenderwell. There should also be no holes whers one had been mounted.

7th. All 70 / 71 LT-1's had Tranisitor Ign. system. That may have been removed. But if it is removed look for the 3 holes on the front face of the driver side inner fender well where the Amplifer box was mounter.

Take a flashlight and look in front of the front wheel or open hood and look at it from the front side. 2 holes on bottom and 1 on top.

8th. Should have a Winters snowflake intake manifold with casting # 3959594

9th. LT-1's had a Holley carb. so there is only 1 fuel line , no return line like a quadra-jet carb. Look along frame rail on passanger side for the single line. Also the fuel tank is different. There should be no nipple on the passanger side, side wall for a return line.

If you lay on your back under the rear wheel you can reach your hand up and feel for an indention on the passanger side. If there is a nipple that is capped off , then beware.

Also the single fuel line on a LT-1 was not the same line that was used to feed fuel on the 2 line set up. So if someone removed the return line the look of the 3/8 line is still different. Not a big difference but if you can look at a car with a 2 line set up then you can see what you do not want to find.

10th. LT-1's had solid lifters , but if the car does not then that is not to big a red flag. Many people do not like them and may have replaced with HYD. lifters during a rebuild.

11th. The hardest to fake and most expensive would be the 4 bolt main block. No # on the outside of the block can verify this.

Only way to verify is to remove the pan or have a lighted optical viewer and remove the drain plug.

12th. LT-1's use 2.5" exhaust pipes like the big block cars. But the manifolds were still 2" set up. So the pipes flair from 2 to 2.5" about 6 inches from the manifold. The exhaust hangar at the trans is also different. Look on line at the Corvette Central site and you can see both 2" and 2.5" hangars.

13th. As I recall the highest rear end gear was 3:36 if trans was a M20

And id Trans was a M21 or M22 the 3:55 was highest gear

M20 3:36 Economy

3:55 Standard

3:70 Performance

M21 / M22

3:55 Economy

3:70 Standard

4:11 Performance

14th. The 71 /71 LT-1 Aluminum valve covers should have a rubber oil cap not a twist in. These covers are very hard to find. All the catalouges sell the twist in cap style.

15th. LT-1's have the same heavy duty half shaft retainers as big block cars. look at the rear end side yokes, there should be caps with bolts. Base cars used U bolts with nuts.

16th. The rocker arms have a letter O stamped in them.

17th. The balancer on the crankshaft is an 8" unit not a 6"

That is all I know of. and you could not fake all of this and sell a car for a mid 20's price and be worth the effort / expense.

So until someone finds the lost records from St Louis anyone buying a no base model car will be going out on a limb at little unless you are buying from the original owner.

Good Luck and I hope you get a good car / deal.

David

Bumped back to current page

Quick Reply: Looking at a 71 LT1 tomorrow