C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to find out how many C3's are still on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to find out how many C3's are still on the road?

I'd like to see how many C3's are still out there for the varying years based on how many have active registrations at their state's tag office.

Is there any way to get this data?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At one time (when I was a kid in the 80's) I heard that more Corvettes where registered than where built.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 PM
coinwasher
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to understand that these cars are secretly mating at car shows when no one is looking. Many do not believe this but I am sure that this will show up on the discovery channel one night. The proof is based on the fact that there are twice as many L-88's on the road than were ever built.
The following users liked this post:
Aj16 (08-24-2021)
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charlie M
At one time (when I was a kid in the 80's) I heard that more Corvettes where registered than where built.
I would believe that for the early vettes (1950's & early 60's) since they were some kits out there and before VINs were standardized it would have been easy to "make" a Corvette and just make up a VIN consistent with the year - like if you wanted to make a 59, you would just start with J59S10 and then give it a number between 9,670 and 9,999 and the tag office would never have known the difference. I think that would have been harder once you got into the C2 era though.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 PM
britvette
Pro

I , like you , thought it would be fairly easy to find out how many vettes were out there . I was interested to know how many 82 CE's still survived , I figured that the vast majority would not have left the country and so it would just be a matter of getting a report of all of the VINS registered out there with the "special" CE Vin.
The trouble is that all of the various state DMV's run completely independantly and so you would have to contact each of the states individually and talk them into giving you a list of vins or even just a number if that type of vin - Its a huge task.
The only other solution I could think of is presumably the traffic police have the ability to access all of the registered vehicle info for all of the states and so in theory , they would have access to the info we require. It is not that you are looking for any personal data , at best a list of how many are registered in each state would be fantastic but a total of each year in the country would be a start.
Any freindly traffic police officers out there???
Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I bet there are more C3s on Jack stands than on the road...........
Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 PM
britvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean

I think thats a safe bet!!
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

In my neighborhood Ive only seen 3 other than mine since I got mine in august last year. Gotten together with a couple groups...Im always the lone C3
Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coinwasher
You have to understand that these cars are secretly mating at car shows when no one is looking. Many do not believe this but I am sure that this will show up on the discovery channel one night. The proof is based on the fact that there are twice as many L-88's on the road than were ever built.
So that bears the question, is your car a male or a female version...:o and what does the offsprig look like?

Last edited by RunningMan373; 01-26-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 AM
pbrstreetgang
Intermediate

HeHe, mine should be on jackstands, but is on the road!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 AM
coinwasher
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
So that bears the question, is your car a male or a female version...:o and what does the offsprig look like?

Mine gets a little tempermental and without notice so I would definately call it a her. She has no offspring as I never leave her unattended at car shows.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by coinwasher
True, but only the high performance cars seem to be able to reproduce. The base engine models are not in danger of extinction but they just arent as prolific.

-Mark.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
I beleive that would be true as the C3 is just recently comming out of the all time low and more interest in the car is being developed. You could purchase a '73-77 for next to nothing just a few years ago and is now no longer true. Many corvettes ar DIW and are being reserected. I think we will see even more being save as they seem to be regaining some popularity. I think the C4 is now expereiancing its low times. This has happened with every generation.

as I am 52 and have always enjoyed drive a C3 since I was 25 it is great to see more and more younger people taking interest in the C3.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:32 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got one.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:33 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,407 Likes on 1,042 Posts

As always an interesting topic. The C-3 has a 15 year run and about averaging 35,000 cars a year. So 450,000 cars or so? There may be about half that on "the road" and maybe another 25 percent in backyards...

In any case the 68 is to me the year of interest and I have been compiling through various sources a database of cars. I now have about 1000 entries, wrecks and concours and a number overseas. There are not more than were made on the road. There are less "correct" L-88's than yopu might think, maybe a couple more than original. Mine is one... The number of frames transiting years and altering numbers of survivors, , ie a 78 frame modded to a 69 is possible, but really not the norm. A complete project car can be had for less than the cost of a top of the line quadrunner. The hobby is still in reach of almost anyone. The biggest foundation for rising C-3 v alues is US. The people here on the forum, the NCRS ect...If we are having fun with the cars, and enjoying the diversion the Corvette provides, then more people will want to be getting in the same trouble as us. Back to the topic...

These things, at least for the 68 have seemed to experience surprising attrition. Many cars were stolen in the first couple years and after being stripped, perished in obscurity with parts being scattered to the winds. Several "neat" cars, L-71's and L-89's are in a secondary database witing for the day when I can find a vin to associate with that car.

Many 68's were parted due to their lack of desirability when the 69's reputation as "the" car to restore became the standard. Further many were customized as Mako Sharks, became racers, or simply became long term projects that are now gathering dust. I would love to know how many the NCRS lists on their member rosters. In any case I think that the 68 today is not rare by collector car standards, after all they built 28,000! But there are not too many out there when compared with a modern car. I would guess there are 10,000 1968 cars out there, and about 6000 "on the road" in all conditions. As for Councours cars, no more than about 250 68's in the USA.

And thats it.

Last edited by international blue; 01-26-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 PM
skipinhouston
Advanced

Default Fyi

There is a guy that is collecting exactly this information.
His name is Roger Stephens and you can e-mail him with your information, vin number, etc and he'll put you on the list.
rms0990@comcast.net
I think he calls it the "C3 registry".
Not exact or completely finished as you might understand, but a good idea about what's out there still on the road.
BTW, his car was produced 4 units after ours was made.
Skip in Houston
Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by international blue
As always an interesting topic. The C-3 has a 15 year run and about averaging 35,000 cars a year. So 450,000 cars or so? There may be about half that on "the road" and maybe another 25 percent in backyards...

In any case the 68 is to me the year of interest and I have been compiling through various sources a database of cars. I now have about 1000 entries, wrecks and concours and a number overseas. There are not more than were made on the road. There are less "correct" L-88's than yopu might think, maybe a couple more than original. Mine is one... The number of frames transiting years and altering numbers of survivors, , ie a 78 frame modded to a 69 is possible, but really not the norm. A complete project car can be had for less than the cost of a top of the line quadrunner. The hobby is still in reach of almost anyone. The biggest foundation for rising C-3 v alues is US. The people here on the forum, the NCRS ect...If we are having fun with the cars, and enjoying the diversion the Corvette provides, then more people will want to be getting in the same trouble as us. Back to the topic...

These things, at least for the 68 have seemed to experience surprising attrition. Many cars were stolen in the first couple years and after being stripped, perished in obscurity with parts being scattered to the winds. Several "neat" cars, L-71's and L-89's are in a secondary database witing for the day when I can find a vin to associate with that car.

Many 68's were parted due to their lack of desirability when the 69's reputation as "the" car to restore became the standard. Further many were customized as Mako Sharks, became racers, or simply became long term projects that are now gathering dust. I would love to know how many the NCRS lists on their member rosters. In any case I think that the 68 today is not rare by collector car standards, after all they built 28,000! But there are not too many out there when compared with a modern car. I would guess there are 10,000 1968 cars out there, and about 6000 "on the road" in all conditions. As for Councours cars, no more than about 250 68's in the USA.

And thats it.
Very well said and I too enjoy the '68's though I have never owned one. A '68 was however the first Corvette that I ever drove. I guy I knew (Joe Fulkerson) in my first Navy tour had a '68 that all of us realy enjoyed help with. Joe wanted to sell the car around 1974 and I wanted to buy it; just couldn't come up with the $1600 that he wanted for it. Back then a $1000 would buy a very nice '56 Bel Aire and I did have a Bel Aire.

That '68 was retro fitted with a big block and it ran like a bear. I was a whole 18 or 19 at the time.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
swampmarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by britvette
I , like you , thought it would be fairly easy to find out how many vettes were out there . I was interested to know how many 82 CE's still survived , I figured that the vast majority would not have left the country and so it would just be a matter of getting a report of all of the VINS registered out there with the "special" CE Vin.
The trouble is that all of the various state DMV's run completely independantly and so you would have to contact each of the states individually and talk them into giving you a list of vins or even just a number if that type of vin - Its a huge task.
The only other solution I could think of is presumably the traffic police have the ability to access all of the registered vehicle info for all of the states and so in theory , they would have access to the info we require. It is not that you are looking for any personal data , at best a list of how many are registered in each state would be fantastic but a total of each year in the country would be a start.
Any freindly traffic police officers out there???
I wish it were that easy, as I would do it. The problem is two fold, first, using that data base in this way (personal) is a crime in my state (MO) and I am pretty sure that applies to all states (we call it the "Sunshine Law"). The other problem is, the common street cop does not have the ability to break the registration information down (in the License Bureau information portion of our computers) in a format that would give just C-3 informaiton for all 50 states. Now if you could hook up with a License Bureau emloyee, maybe... (still probably got the "Sunshine Law" problem.)

Sorry, John

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to find out how many C3's are still on the road?

Quick Reply: Any way to find out how many C3's are still on the road?