C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sand blast versus Acid Dip, Which is preferred?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Before I retired a customer was going to bring his 64 Corvette to my shop to have some work done to it and he decided to have the frame sent out to be chemical stripped . This frame appeared to be a nice solid frame but when they were done it looked like swiss cheese. I thought that it was left in the solution too long but regardless it is real important to make sure the company is experienced. After this experience he lost interest and just sold the car. I personally would never have one dipped. Sandblasting the outside and rustproofing the inside is all you need for the next 40 years.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seff
there is a local place that will 'dip-galvanize' the chassis for only a few hundred dollars, and they will do it in colors for a few hundred more. I haven't heard anyone mention this process either, but wondered if it was worthwhile.
Hi Seff,
In the end I got scared with the stories of warped chassis that I read so I went the traditional route of sand-blasting and then painting. Sorry I can't help with your question.

Quick Reply: Sand blast versus Acid Dip, Which is preferred?