Sponsored by:

Fiberglass Sealing Painting

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 PM
69sharkwor
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Sealing Painting

I took possetion of my 60 vette from the soda blaster and when I put primer on the vehicle fibers were present. It appears that he took off to much material and now I have bare fiberglass with strands standing. To make matters worse he left areas with paint that now have to be sanded but I'm concerned that I'll further damage the bare fiberglass. Any suggestions on what to do? Will a good epoxy sealer work or will the fiberglass just stand through as with the primer?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69sharkwor
I took possetion of my 60 vette from the soda blaster and when I put primer on the vehicle fibers were present. It appears that he took off to much material and now I have bare fiberglass with strands standing. To make matters worse he left areas with paint that now have to be sanded but I'm concerned that I'll further damage the bare fiberglass. Any suggestions on what to do? Will a good epoxy sealer work or will the fiberglass just stand through as with the primer?
After you finish sanding the remainder of the paint off(just be careful not to dig into the glass,you will do fine) you need to gel coat the body. It will be the best protection.Primer isnt going to do it.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
After you finish sanding the remainder of the paint off(just be careful not to dig into the glass,you will do fine) you need to gel coat the body. It will be the best protection.Primer isnt going to do it.
and the blaster needs his a$$ kicked for doing that
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM
tnovot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiber strands

Originally Posted by 69sharkwor
The same thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He told me that the painter used a PPG expoy-based primer (I didn't know there was such a thing) to seal and cover the fibers.
The finish looks nice after the final painting. Sorry, but I don't know more details about the intermediate steps, sanding, etc.
Terry
Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

At least one paint manufacturer says not to use epoxy over a soda cleaned vehicle. I would clean it several times real good if you go that route if you don't use Ecklers gel coat.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass Sealing Painting

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Sealing Painting