Sponsored by:

81 Speedo Cable help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM
cmrws67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Speedo Cable help

A couple of you all suggested my squeak in my new C3 might be a speedo cable, and I think you are right. I was stuck behind a school bus this am and I noticed a direct correlation between the squeak and the needle bounce at about 5MPH.

Now, I thought I saw some speedo cleaner thing in one of the myriad of catalogs I have, but now I cant find it. Has anyone used that? Or should I just replace it?

If I should replace it, is it hard to do? Any advice? I dont want to start something and muck it up, but I do want to learn.

Thanks,
Chrissi

PS I have a manual and no cruise control (atleast I havent seen a switch, where would it be?)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The sad reality is you have to remove the speedo and tack cluster to get to the cable to lube it. It's really very easy once you get that far. Get the lube from the parts store, and when the gauge cluster is out, simply pull the cable out of the sheath until only the tip remains in the sheath. Lube it up as you slide it back in. When it gets down to the end you may have to twist it to get it to seat back in the speedo gear down on the transmission. Then just reinstall the gauge cluster, and you're all set.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I seem to remember that you couldn't get cruise control with the manual on 81s so your cable should only be one piece. If you are going to go through the effort, I'd replace it. The job is more awkward than hard and you can do it without removing the gauge cluster but it would certainly be easier with the cluster off.

The connection at the transmission is pretty easy. Just a threaded outer sleeve on to a fitting on the driver's side. There will be a gromet on the firewall that you'll have to go through and possibly replace. The connector on the back of the speedo has a loop around it. If you can press the loop and get the old one to slide off, you only need to get the new one in position and it'll slide right in place and lock in the loop.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=cmrws67;1564181036]A couple of you all suggested my squeak in my new C3 might be a speedo cable, and I think you are right. I was stuck behind a school bus this am and I noticed a direct correlation between the squeak and the needle bounce at about 5MPH.

Now, I thought I saw some speedo cleaner thing in one of the myriad of catalogs I have, but now I cant find it. Has anyone used that? Or should I just replace it?

If I should replace it, is it hard to do? Any advice? I dont want to start something and muck it up, but I do want to learn.

Thanks,
Chrissi

Been there, done that. Same problem with my 79. Tried the lube and only worked for a short time. If your going to disconnect at the speedo might as well change the cable. Disconnecting is the hardest part. Replaced cable myself in about 1/2 hour and I am not by any stretch a mechanic.Works great now.........LT
Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just lubing the cable inside the jacket might temp fix it or it might not. I am of the school of thought that says do it once, A new cable would do that, but if its not dammaged I would take it out, clean it and the jacket and then lube and reinstall. Sometimes the new parts don't quite fit right depending on where it came from.
If your car has cruise the switch will be on the turn signal lever.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I would just replace the cable. I was able to get mine disconnected from the speedo without removing the cluster.

Kneel outside the car reach under the dash and find the cable. Follow it to the speedo, and there is a little tab you push that will release it. The new one will just snap into place.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New cable's like $25 from Corvette Central for the 4 speed version. Put one in mine when I converted it from automatic. Hard part is figuring out that kooky connector on the back of the speedometer. Once you get that undone it's a cakewalk.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcanney
New cable's like $25 from Corvette Central for the 4 speed version. Put one in mine when I converted it from automatic. Hard part is figuring out that kooky connector on the back of the speedometer. Once you get that undone it's a cakewalk.
Get a new one, not worth the trouble trying to save the old one.......LT
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I tried to find a good pic of the funny connector. Sort of succeeded. The first is a good pic of the cable ends:

The second is a not so good pic of the release on the back of the speedo. You need to press the "loop" around the center of the speedo cable connector towards the rear of the car. Once this releases, you pull the speedo cable towards the front of the car.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Vette Crazzy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

until only the tip remains in the sheath. Lube it up as you slide it back in. When it gets down to the end you may have to twist it to get it to seat back in

STOP MATT! UR AROUSING ME! LOL

VC
Old 02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltinnell
Get a new one, not worth the trouble trying to save the old one.......LT

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Speedo Cable help

Quick Reply: 81 Speedo Cable help