Sponsored by:

Calling all steel cities w/ rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Calling all steel cities w/ rims

Just put a deposit down at the Good guys show for some Budnick Cannon rims and I'm having a hard time decieding what to do and was hoping some owners could help.
If you own or have pics of a steel cities or similar color car with aftermarket rims please post them. I love the chrome TT's but it seems everyone has them so I thought I would go with black powder coat centers on the cannon's with a polished lip.... What do you guys think? I know there are tons of rim posts but I don't see many steel cities cars and similar colors with black rims would help before I dish out the 2K for rims.

Thanks in advance for your posts

http://www.budnik.com/roadwheeldetai...3&pid=803&pg=1
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Ttt
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probly wont help you but this is my old 77 with westerns
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
polyrocks
Racer

Originally Posted by Love My 72 and 77
probly wont help you but this is my old 77 with westerns
Not what I was looking for but I appreciate the post given the lack of intrest in my request. Are members just tired of the rim posts or are there really that few steel city cars out there?
Old 04-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Did you try looking through some picture posts? or maybe the photos section on the forum? I havent really figured out how to navigate through the photos section yet.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by polyrocks
Are members just tired of the rim posts or are there really that few steel city cars out there?
I have Steel Cities but with factory rims. Sorry.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not what I was looking for but I appreciate the post given the lack of intrest in my request. Are members just tired of the rim posts or are there really that few steel city cars out there?
Not to many around I'm afraid, most of the folks here would jump in too help if they could. I'm not much help either, have red & yellow Vettes.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:51 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

Just my opinion but $500 a wheel is mighty steep unless you really want that style bad. Also seems like you'd want as much chrome or polished as possible instead of Black but some people want something less shiny I guess. (My first Vette was Steel Cities that is one color that looks better in person than in pictures.)
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Thank you for the posts and I agree the forum has always been very helpful so based on your feedback I'll chalk up the limted reposnes to few steel cities car with after market rims.
500 bucks a rim is high as I could get some TTII's much cheaper and they would look great but I feel I need to try something different to set the car apart. I also like the pro-mod look and plan to install a nasty 383.
Budnick is the only company I could find so far with a rim I like that will powder coat the centers black so 500 bucks although high is about what I would expect to pay for buying a polished rim and then having it sent out for powder coat...

Is my logic off?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:27 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Default Some ideas...........

Thank you for the posts and I agree the forum has always been very helpful so based on your feedback I'll chalk up the limted reposnes to few steel cities car with after market rims.
500 bucks a rim is high as I could get some TTII's much cheaper and they would look great but I feel I need to try something different to set the car apart. I also like the pro-mod look and plan to install a nasty 383.
Budnick is the only company I could find so far with a rim I like that will powder coat the centers black so 500 bucks although high is about what I would expect to pay for buying a polished rim and then having it sent out for powder coat...

Is my logic off?
It depends on what YOU want. Budnik is as good as any billet wheel company out there. You didn't say what diameter wheels you're getting so as far as the price goes the larger the diameter the higher the price and powder coating I'm sure adds to the cost. Yes I agree there are lots of TTIIs out there but there is a reason. They are very traditional - do not go out of style - and are even period correct on some cars. I'll throw out a couple of ideas for you to think about. Are you sure you want that wheel style? Those now wow looks tend to get dated looking after a couple of years. A more traditional 5 spoke or 10 spoke wheel tends to have better staying power. Case in point the "TTII" look or the 10 spoke "Cobra" look. They have been around forever and are the most imitated. With that said would you consider a different style Budnik wheel? Maybe M5s/Flares/GTXs/Gassers/Cobalts or in the Driver Series Laterals/Hammers/Sparks. Would you consider a gray center to give that "old school" cast center look ? That would allow the detail of the wheel to show a little more. With the black centers in low light you loose the detail. Here's a link to a very nice gray coupe with Coy's gray centered wheels. It's not steel cities gray but you can get an idea. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=update I hope I gave you some ideas but the bottom line is you have to buy what you like not what we or in this case me tell you to. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 04-05-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
A72COUPEDT
Racer

Default Steel Cities Gray Firethorn

Haha....

Mines a stock rim beauty

Check my pics
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
polyrocks
Racer

Thank you for the post 3jVette. Some good comments but the link to the silver Vette with Coys was very helpful. Those rims were my first choice until I got on this black center idea but seeing them on a similar car has sold me.

Thank you very much...

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all steel cities w/ rims

Quick Reply: Calling all steel cities w/ rims