Sponsored by:

Mystery Starter anyone know what it is from

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
327carguy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Mystery Starter anyone know what it is from

Pulled this starter off my 64 vette as part of a winter clean up project. It's number does not come back as a corvette starter. In fact it did not come back as any CHEVY number. Any help identifying it out there? first line 1108387 0A14 1
second line DELCO-REMY USA

It works fine on my 64 corvette BUT what was it made for?
Based on similar part numbers I am assuming the date is 1970 Jan. 14.

Any part sloeuths out there? Thanks in advance for the help.
thanks 327carguy
Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

The starter frame or "motor housing" where that number is stamped are interchangable among Delco starters, so what you have is a rebuilt starter made of components from other motors. The frames was never available as a replacement part so rebuilders interchanged them as needed. What makes it a chevy starter is having the correct drive housing (the aluminum casting on the end).

I can't identify the original application of that specific casting number since it is not a Chevy number, but I can tell you from an interchange manual that the frame came off of a 1966-1980 Pontiac or Oldsmobile V8 starter. The "0" in the date code would make it a 1970 or a 1980 housing and the remainder of the date code would indicate January 14. A Pontiac or Olds parts book from those years would give the original application.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The nose of your starter will also fit Buicks. The housing {case} can fit almost anything in the GM line. The only difference is the location of the fields. If the field post is located up tight to the switch it would be a light duty {LD} starter. If there is a gap of approximately 3/4 of an inch between the switch and field post its a heavy duty {HD} starter case. Numbers on the case mean nothing to a rebuilder as all they do is change the nose to make it fit a different application. They do the same thing with alternators. ...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Motors Service Repair Manual from 1971 lists this as a 1970 Starter for Oldsmobiles equipped with a 350 and 455 cubic inch V-8.
Of course, the case could have been swapped long ago by anyone doing a rebuild on the starter.
Kurt

Get notified of new replies

To Mystery Starter anyone know what it is from

Quick Reply: Mystery Starter anyone know what it is from