68 Only Restoration Finish Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 68 Only Restoration Finish Line

Hi Guys!! I've been gone a wile, busy with many other things and I'm back to finish this frame off restoration! 1968 Corvette is a big challange to do correctly . Well any way I'm involved in the side window "cat whiskers" and new side glass now and found my 68 never had the stainless outside strips (does now). One thing that is really freaking me out id installing the rear glass weather strip (coupe). Installing the flimsy weather strip looks like a problem and even worse removing the back glass out of the frame (I have new dated glass). The back glass looks more and more a job I will farm out to a pro. I do have a NOS rear wondow frame I bought a long time ago and just may install the new glass in that and leave the original together. I hope to have this 68 out to show you all, maybe at a 68 40th reunion? AL.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 68 Corvette Finish Line

Any pointers on the rear weather strip on the rear in a coupe? AL.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to have you back Al!

If I remember right, I put weatherstrip adhesive on the RR weatherstrip and mating surface, set the strip in place, and installed the window to keep pressure on it till the adhesive dries

Good to hear you're 68 is almost done
I just put mine up for sale in the NorCal section
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 68's Rule

For Sale?? Whats up with that? Do you have other projects?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 68 Corvettes Rule

I could not let mine go after two wives two kids, 2 houses and owning it almost 25 years and a frame off on one of the more difficult years to restore correctly. Did you see the set of NOS seatbelt gromets (68-69) bring over $200.00 on Ebay? (I have a mint black set for mine). I e-mailed the mod on the forum to support this forum and will post pixs of my progress. I e-mail Tim Hence from time to time and hope to meet up with him this summer. PM your E address and I send you some up dated pixs, I hope you change your mind on your way cool rare color 68 coupe , AL.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IDOXLR8
I could not let mine go after two wives two kids, 2 houses and owning it almost 25 years and a frame off on one of the more difficult years to restore correctly. Did you see the set of NOS seatbelt gromets (68-69) bring over $200.00 on Ebay? (I have a mint black set for mine). I e-mailed the mod on the forum to support this forum and will post pixs of my progress. I e-mail Tim Hence from time to time and hope to meet up with him this summer. PM your E address and I send you some up dated pixs, I hope you change your mind on your way cool rare color 68 coupe , AL.
Hey my man whats shakin

that back window is a snap if you do as 682XLR8 says, its how i did mine.

Hey 682XLR8 Your selling huh, well I hope you get what you are looking for, its because of you That I may put mine back to its original corvette bronze

cheers

tim
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sweethence
Hey 682XLR8 Your selling huh, well I hope you get what you are looking for, its because of you That I may put mine back to its original corvette bronze

cheers

tim
Glad I could "help" Tim

I'm looking to sell my 68 because of a situation at home, and the toys are the first to go hopefully I can find a way to weather out the storm without selling, I'll keep you guys posted
Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
Glad I could "help" Tim

I'm looking to sell my 68 because of a situation at home, and the toys are the first to go hopefully I can find a way to weather out the storm without selling, I'll keep you guys posted
Ive been there before myself, hated it but you have to do what is needed to keep on keepin on

Good luck my friend

tim

Last edited by sweethence; 04-23-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 AM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
Glad I could "help" Tim

I'll be praying for ya', getting rid of a '68 is like cutting off your arm. It becomes part of ya'. I've had mine now for 5 years and will die before selling it (unless my kids have needs, then thats different). I am tempted by cobra's and newer Corvettes, but my car is treating me well right now, and it has its own personality. Thats why its hard to part with. Family comes first, so I agree with you their.

"Tim, how the hell have you been??"

Gonzo
Old 04-23-2008, 10:42 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gonzo14
I'll be praying for ya', getting rid of a '68 is like cutting off your arm. It becomes part of ya'. I've had mine now for 5 years and will die before selling it (unless my kids have needs, then thats different). I am tempted by cobra's and newer Corvettes, but my car is treating me well right now, and it has its own personality. Thats why its hard to part with. Family comes first, so I agree with you their.

"Tim, how the hell have you been??"

Gonzo

Hey Gonzo, Long time brother, lifes been good and bad and everything in between, But I aint dead yet as my Granny used to say LOL

still drivin the 68 daily and lovin it how abotu you ?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:59 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 68 Finish Line

Hey Gonzo, Long time brother, lifes been good and bad and everything in between, But I aint dead yet as my Granny used to say LOL

still drivin the 68 daily and lovin it how abotu you ?
Tim, I installed the 68-69 "T" top weather strips. Thanks to the pictures you sent they are pretty close! I'm glad to see your still enjoying your British Green 68. Every time I see a picture of yours I know the painter got it right on mine! I hope to see your ride one way or another this summer, AL.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Tim, I installed the 68-69 "T" top weather strips. Thanks to the pictures you sent they are pretty close! I'm glad to see your still enjoying your British Green 68. Every time I see a picture of yours I know the painter got it right on mine! I hope to see your ride one way or another this summer, AL.
I bought mine last year from the same place, probaly instll em this spring, i lovce tomeet ya as well

chhers

tim
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay you 68 Corvette pro's, a question..... The 68 door glass has gone by-by and the late 69-82 is all that is made. So as you may know the little white bumpers are in the wrong location and will not contact the support at the window track and the rear bumper will not contact any thing because the small track in not used in the newer system and the extra support two sided bolt needs to be remove because it will hit the longer track on the newer system. Has any one installed the newer (69L-82) side glass in a 68 door and how well did it work? AL.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Okay you 68 Corvette pro's, a question..... The 68 door glass has gone by-by and the late 69-82 is all that is made. So as you may know the little white bumpers are in the wrong location and will not contact the support at the window track and the rear bumper will not contact any thing because the small track in not used in the newer system and the extra support two sided bolt needs to be remove because it will hit the longer track on the newer system. Has any one installed the newer (69L-82) side glass in a 68 door and how well did it work? AL.
Hey Al
I just talked to Jim Guck over at Elmer's, he's got a pair of 68 doors, he is selling and would be willing to sell the glass separately if the buyer is not intersted , give him a call tommorow to confirm if you are interested, and let me know if i can help

tim

Elmers Auto Parts
137 Donovan St
Webster, NY 14580
(585) 872-4402

http://www.elmersauto.com/

Last edited by sweethence; 04-29-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Tim's lead fails you can always buy repo. You will have to scoll to page 2 and 3 for the 68 glass.

What's up Tim, I woke up to snow again this morning.

http://www.ecklers.com/search.asp?ac...searchHistory=
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Al
I just talked to Jim Guck over at Elmer's, he's got a pair of 68 doors, he is selling and would be willing to sell the glass separately if the buyer is not intersted , give him a call tommorow to confirm if you are interested, and let me know if i can help

tim

Elmers Auto Parts
137 Donovan St
Webster, NY 14580
(585) 872-4402

http://www.elmersauto.com/
Tim, I'll look in to this, thanks!. I'm looking to have something mint though and maybe that's asking the impossable, AL.
The following users liked this post:
Staylor63 (01-10-2016)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DZRick
If Tim's lead fails you can always buy repo. You will have to scoll to page 2 and 3 for the 68 glass.

Snow? Wow! Eckler's only sells 69L-82, AL.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Only Restoration Finish Line

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Tim, I'll look in to this, thanks!. I'm looking to have something mint though and maybe that's asking the impossable, AL.

well it is glass after all as long as thre "astro ventilation" isnt all marred up just use a littel windex and turtle wax and you're in like Flynn
Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Snow? Wow! Eckler's only sells 69L-82, AL.
Al,

The web page lists 4 different part numbers 2 ea for coupe and convertibles.

Unless you called them and they told you that they don't carry them anymore.

This should take you directly to one of them.

Almost forgot to tell you I'm on top of a fairly big hill and it didn't stick but after almost hitting 90 degrees a few days ago I was thinking WTF!

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...7&dept_id=1468

Last edited by DZRick; 04-29-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DZRick

Whas shakin Rick

Man it sucks to be in your nape of the neck LOL it was cold but its nice today, the old boy is in the lot ouside, and i think ill take the long way home

Quick Reply: 68 Only Restoration Finish Line