Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Lift Pro Park 8 (Caster Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Direct Lift Pro Park 8 (Caster Kit)

This past weekend I assembled my new lift from Direct Lift (purchased from Greg Smith Equipment). I installed the caster kit and let the lift down without the car on it and then tried to move the lift (could not move it due to the casters not being level caused by there not being enough weight on the lift to flatten the caster set properly). So I then drove my car on the lift, installed the caster kit and lowered the car. The lift raised off the ground like it is supposed to, but I have two problems. First, there was absolutely no way I can move the lift with the weight of the car on it, plus the weight of the car on the caster kit causes the upright beams to lean. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought the lift was supposed to be able to be moved hence the caster kit? I even had a couple of my family members come out and help me and we could not get it to move. Please help
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They must have technical support on their website or customer service.

I would check both the Direct and Smith sites.

Can't believe there are no instructions supplied. It's my understanding that the lift can be repositioned with the caster kit with no vehicle on it.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would think the casters let you move the lift around, but not with the car on it. You are trying to push around 3-4000 pounds of weight.

kdf
Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

The caster kit for the Pro Park 8 is different from the Pro Park 7 which I have but you are correct, they do allow you to move the lift around.

I know they work as my friend has the Pro Park 8 and we used the casters on it to position the lift in his garage.

They only lift the posts about 6 inches but that's plenty.

The casters work like a lever so maybe you need to grease the wheels so they move more freely.

BTW, Greg Smith has great tech support give them a call.

cc
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by CCrane72
The caster kit for the Pro Park 8 is different from the Pro Park 7 which I have but you are correct, they do allow you to move the lift around.

I know they work as my friend has the Pro Park 8 and we used the casters on it to position the lift in his garage.

They only lift the posts about 6 inches but that's plenty.

The casters work like a lever so maybe you need to grease the wheels so they move more freely.

BTW, Greg Smith has great tech support give them a call.

cc

Will do. I'll let you guys know what I find out............thanks for everyone's help.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Well guys, I called Greg Smith Equipment and they told me that the lift should be able to be moved (without the car on it).* I told them that when I lower the lift down (without the weight of the car on it), the weight of the lift is not enough to leverage the casters to lift the uprights off the floor.* They told me to put my weight on it at each corner and it should go down.* I tried it the first day I had it assembled and it did not work, but I will try again when I get a chance.* The steel wheeled caster set is just not a very easy way to move the lift.* The lift weighs over 1700 lbs itself and you have to get the lift moving in the direction you want it to go before the caster wheels will flip around and get pointed in the direction you want them to go.* I'll give it another try and let you guys know what I find.* Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:52 PM
PhyscoVette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those casters are junk. I would look into a product called air bearings. They a flat disc that is charged with air from you compressor and will alow you to move several thousand pounds effortlessly. I have seen this in action and yes you can move a car and a lift by yout self. they also use this product for rotary floors in garages. just google it and you should find a source make sure you get ones that are designed for the weight your are going to move.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WOAH, you lifted a car with those casters, you are lucky you didn't break one, or have your lift fail due to the post slipping out. I have the same lift, and havent had a problem moving it around, takes two people, but thats why i have a fridge of beer in the garrage. good luck mate.

Get notified of new replies

To Direct Lift Pro Park 8 (Caster Kit)

Quick Reply: Direct Lift Pro Park 8 (Caster Kit)