C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Budman68
How about having Lars do the Paypal and you Paypal Lars. Can you do that.
I dont think so. As far as I know, Lars dont accept paypal payments, so I dont think he would do that.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
RxForPain
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Request the guys phone number and call him, see if you can work it out on the phone. You might alse consider sending him a money order that way you avoid the whole Paypal/Non-US shipping issue.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron R
If I was selling something and a buyer in a foreign country wanted to pay for it, but wanted me to ship it to a US address, I'd say no thanks and refund the guy's money too. It's not worth losing the item AND the money,
OK I have done very little Ebaying an just trying to understand-not trying to argue.I can see if someone from a foreign country sends you a money order and you deposit it in your account and then you give the carrier a hand full of cash and the item being sold and then the money order bounces-then you have lost the item and the money-that old scam.....but in this case the seller of the carb has had the money in his Ebay account for 10 days and could have already removed it...so how does the seller lose? Can Ebay come back and get you to cough up the money somehow?The guy has his money and all he has to do is ship the carb to Lars address.Is the rule about shipping to the same Paypal address an actual rule or is that a recomendation?Plus its only $41....I just think this guy is using the address thing as an excuse..could be wrong.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs
OK I have done very little Ebaying an just trying to understand-not trying to argue.I can see if someone from a foreign country sends you a money order and you deposit it in your account and then you give the carrier a hand full of cash and the item being sold and then the money order bounces-then you have lost the item and the money-that old scam.....but in this case the seller of the carb has had the money in his Ebay account for 10 days and could have already removed it...so how does the seller lose? Can Ebay come back and get you to cough up the money somehow?
Yep. One of the little things that you "agree" to when you click that "I agree" button that most people don't actually read is that in cases of arbitration (ie; "arguing") that you grant PayPal the final say in all disputes. PayPal can take the money back from the seller at any time. If the seller has already taken the money out, they can make the PayPal account go negative or withdraw it from the bank account the next time the seller tries to use their PayPal account.

So yeah, sellers can lose. So can buyers, and there isn't much you can do about it. You waived your right to a third party arbitrator when you agreed to PayPal's terms. That's why for a while, before ebay took over, a lot of sellers refused to use PayPal. PayPal used to side with the buyers 99% of the time, now they actually review the cases independently.

The guy has his money and all he has to do is ship the carb to Lars address.Is the rule about shipping to the same Paypal address an actual rule or is that a recomendation?Plus its only $41....I just think this guy is using the address thing as an excuse..could be wrong.
It's technically not required by PayPal, although it does assist in making your case if there is a dispute. If the seller wasn't willing to let the item go for $40, he would have set a reserve price. It isn't about price - he WILL ship it to a confirmed address and has already said so. It's that the whole thing, from his perspective, probably looks really suspicious. It would to me, because it's a classic scam tactic. The seller doesn't know where the funds from the PayPal account that paid him came from. Could be a stolen credit card for all he knows - and if he ships the item, PayPal will take the money back from him, they don't care that he shipped the item already.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

If the guy agreed to the shipping to a different person via email (Before the auction ended) then you have a case with Paypal. If it was after, give up you will lose because he put the stipulate in there. 9 times out of 10 ebay will side with the seller and ignore you. I had one email me 5 times and put the wrong name in every email. Basic cut and paste emails, they just forgot to change the name.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

thats why it's flea-bay...... i had issue a few years back and since then, i closed my account and dont shop there...tooo much b.s. to deal with...

look on craigslist or here on the forums if you need vette stuff.....

or better yet.... team up with a u.s. person here that can help you in the future with payments/shipping/etc.....

b
Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM
dodge_ss/t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron R
If the seller wasn't willing to let the item go for $40, he would have set a reserve price. It isn't about price - he WILL ship it to a confirmed address and has already said so.
Im not so sure about that, look at it like this. the higher the starting bid the more you pay ebay via fees and if you add a reserve price you get charged a fee based on the reserve amount. it think the seller was cheap and did not want to pay those fees (i don't blame him) and thought his item would be bid on up to X amount of dollars with out the help of a reserve price but that backfired and now he just looking to get out of the sale.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Ron R thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Originally Posted by Budman68
If the guy agreed to the shipping to a different person via email (Before the auction ended) then you have a case with Paypal.
Yeah - I have to agree with Budman here.

He agreed to ship it to a different address. His ad says, PAYPAL ONLY so he overrode the " Confirmed address" requirement by stating he would ship to a different addy. I think the same agreement makes the US ONLY piece worthless too. File with both eBay and PayPal. You are living up to your end. As long as you have the written proof of his committment.

If this deal falls through and you find another suitable carb, let me know & I will buy it & get it shipped to LARS!

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron R has it right. I had someone ask me about shipping to another address on somethiong I sold. I said ok then found out for some reason ( I don't remember what it was) I could not really do that and had to email him back. He had good feedback so I didn't think he was trying to scam me. Your situation of being in another country is probably the issue and he may think he is getting scammed.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Hey Hamadup

PM sent about free carb.

Dennis
(Bman)
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Ron R
Drifting

You guys saying he should file the claim are nuts. He's not going to ship it - it doesn't matter what their "decision" is, they can't make him ship it. They can only make him refund the money, which he's already willing to do. Take the refund and stop whining, seriously...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Get a refund and leave negative feedback. The feedback rules have changed recently and sellers can't leave negative feedback on your account anymore
Perfect. This is why sellers like me who have had ZERO negative feedbacks in over 10 years are having all sorts of problems... because jerks like this just throw around negative feedbacks in situations when they are as wrong as anyone, because they aren't afraid of getting negatives back.

I will save this obnoxious email as an example when I explain that buyers now have no integrity whatsoever, as they try to blackmail sellers with one-way feedback. Only in this case, its even worse because even though the buyer was wrong ("US BIDDERS ONLY," DUH)
this person says 1. get the refund, then 2. screw the seller with a negative anyway. No fear... can't retaliate.

This post is a perfect example of why ebay doesn't work anymore. I certainly can't try to bend over backwards for my buyers anymore, because the buyers will screw me anyway.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Perfect. This is why sellers like me who have had ZERO negative feedbacks in over 10 years are having all sorts of problems... because jerks like this just throw around negative feedbacks in situations when they are as wrong as anyone, because they aren't afraid of getting negatives back.

I will save this obnoxious email as an example when I explain that buyers now have no integrity whatsoever, as they try to blackmail sellers with one-way feedback. Only in this case, its even worse because even though the buyer was wrong ("US BIDDERS ONLY," DUH)
this person says 1. get the refund, then 2. screw the seller with a negative anyway. No fear... can't retaliate.

This post is a perfect example of why ebay doesn't work anymore. I certainly can't try to bend over backwards for my buyers anymore, because the buyers will screw me anyway.

You make a good point

I have almost 500 100% positive feedback to date and now when I sell something (even though I am very honest in my descriptions as my feedback indicates), I am worried about running across some nutcase who might try to "black mail " me under these new Ebay rules. It was a stupid change on ebay's part for sure!!!

As far as this situation goes , I do not ship overseas due to the fact that I dont have time to be checking rates and filling out paper extra work. So that much I can relate to. I have however sold items to people overseas and shipped to a US adress of their choice with no problems after I received payment.

I think that the seller in this case is wrong and has wasted hamadup's time for no apparent reason. Take the refund and look else where for a carb
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

This is very true I see EBAY going down the tubes due to this. Another site will popup to compete (Been waiting for this to happen) which make buyers and sellers fell more at ease. Until then just gotta deal with the BS.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Simple solution

There has to be somebody here on CF that can just drive over to the guys house and pick up the carb in person. Since it has already been paid and paypal cleared the seller has his money. He is just nervous about sending to a different address and not be covered by paypal seller protection.

WHO IS IN ALBERQUEQUE THAT CAN HELP A CF BROTHER??
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread but have to make a counterpoint:

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
You make a good point

I have almost 500 100% positive feedback to date

As far as this situation goes , I do not ship overseas due to the fact that I dont have time to be checking rates and filling out paper extra work. So that much I can relate to. I have however sold items to people overseas and shipped to a US adress of their choice with no problems after I received payment.

Not starting an argument with you, but not shipping overseas is missing a huge market! I am also 500+ positive, 100% and a power seller (not that any of that means shiite to anybody) The power that other foreign money has against the dollar right now means that foreign buyers are big spenders. That always gets my attention!

You can use a flat rate international box (there are 3 different sizes) and save all the trouble of trying to find pricing for each different item you sell. Flat rate international boxes are $37 or $49 depending on the size you choose. I clearly post my international price at $45 or $55 depending on the size box. I sell about 20% international and have excellent results and great feedback. Also, since it is now priority mail (air) instead of boat, the package usually arrives in 5-10 days depending on customs.

This year I have sold Corvette parts and books to Australia, Sweeden, Norway, UK, Russia, ITaly, and more. The other great thing about selling international is that when you do, you will get more for your item because the foreign buyers will outbid US buyers because you will accomodate them on the shipping. Yes, Im sure I will get screwed in the future, but that has happened to me already with good ol USA buyers, so what is new??!!

Im no ebay expert, but that is Just my .02

Get notified of new replies

To I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

And it didn't work in the beginning either because buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback so the whole thing was sham. Dishonest sellers with 100 positive feedback because no one wanted their own feedback scores damaged.

I stand what I said about Ebay and Paypal not doing anything. I got ripped off by counterfeit electronics seller. Bought a brand name expensive Bluetooth and it didn't work. Sent it to the manufacturer and they told me it was counterfeit. Had all the email and letter from them stating it was a counterfeit and neither Ebay or PayPal would do anything. Finally got my money back thru my credit card company.

If you deal with people the correct and honest way you have no reason to worry about negative feedback because there won't be a reason for anyone to leave it.

And I will admit I am wrong about the leaving the negative feedback for this one. I also missed the part where he said he would ship to US addresses only until I re - read it.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bigredbrad
Not trying to hijack this thread but have to make a counterpoint:

Not starting an argument with you, but not shipping overseas is missing a huge market! I am also 500+ positive, 100% and a power seller (not that any of that means shiite to anybody) The power that other foreign money has against the dollar right now means that foreign buyers are big spenders. That always gets my attention!

You can use a flat rate international box (there are 3 different sizes) and save all the trouble of trying to find pricing for each different item you sell. Flat rate international boxes are $37 or $49 depending on the size you choose. I clearly post my international price at $45 or $55 depending on the size box. I sell about 20% international and have excellent results and great feedback. Also, since it is now priority mail (air) instead of boat, the package usually arrives in 5-10 days depending on customs.

This year I have sold Corvette parts and books to Australia, Sweeden, Norway, UK, Russia, ITaly, and more. The other great thing about selling international is that when you do, you will get more for your item because the foreign buyers will outbid US buyers because you will accomodate them on the shipping. Yes, Im sure I will get screwed in the future, but that has happened to me already with good ol USA buyers, so what is new??!!

Im no ebay expert, but that is Just my .02

I have to agree with what you say. I will look into it more, as I had only shipped one international pkg before and it was a pain with customs paper work and shipping estimates. Thanks for the info

Sorry for the temporary off subject hi-jacking
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been on ebay since February 1998. (I didnt get a ten year pin though) and my rating is 3280, so I speak from experience..

Not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback pretty much allows the idiots out to **** on sellers free reign. I've had buyers receive stuff from me, and immediately fire back emails claiming the item (I use BIG CLEAR PICTURES in my auctions) is nothing like what was advertised. A quick check of their feedback told me they had been working the system a long time. Now it's like handing bullets out to shoot back at you.

Most people are honest but there are always a few bad apples and they are always relative newbies.

I'm in a selling hiatus right now contemplating whether ebay is worth the effort as far as selling goes. I may start posting a "no bids from bidders with less than 150 feedback rating"

Ebay also has changed feedback to a rolling 12 month calculation. This appears to be in an effort to clean up some peoples feedback who may have stumbled a bit. I have mixed feelings about this change.

I hate the silent battle of who leaves feedback first (buyer/seller) and I ALWAYS left feedback first for buyers who paid up reasonably prompt. But not now with the feedback changes.

ebay needs an enema

Quick Reply: I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!