Hello, New and need ??s answered

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Keris C3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, New and trailering help

Hello,
I am a new Vette owner! I just bought a 1979 Vette. But now I need to bring my baby home. I am planning on trailering her for the tirp since it won't be registered yet and needs a tune-up. My dad the very proud owner of a 1986 Vette, told me to ask the 'experts' how to properly tie down a 1979. So PLEASE help a Newbie. I promise to post photos as soon as she is home.

Thanks,
Keri

Last edited by Keris C3; 07-08-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's always a safe bet to tie the frame down with straps, but make sure you get the suspension compressed a bit. That will keep it from jumping over bumps. Depending on the trailer, and where the tie down points are, you may have to tie down through the wheels.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new pruchase.

There are notches in the frame rails if you have the correct hooks/straps.

I've also gone through the front A arms to the trailer and around the rear steel spring near the center pig. (although not really recomended)

I've also seen guys strap the car down through the wheels.

Using the slots in the frame with the correct hooks would be the best bet, the way the factory delivered them.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
mexdsk
Intermediate

Congrats.

It is not easy, but if you have axle straps you should be able to loop them around the rear frame (behind the rear wheels). The front is not any real good easy place, again using an axle strap I think you can get around the upper control arm.

I like to cross my straps, so left trailer corener connects to right side of car, may not be possible depends upon the type of trailer.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

I recommend these into the factory reinforced oval slots in the frame. Two in the front, two in the rear cross member just in front of the rear wheels. Along with 10,000lbs ratchet straps to the D rings, crossing the rear straps over each other. Others use an R hook, which I have not tried.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_43572_43572

WB
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

I trailed my 78 about 1800 miles when I moved to Arkansas... I rented a U-Haul auto transport which comes with the front wheel straps... They go over/around the front wheels & ratched down very tight... On the back I did not like the single chain they provide on the trailer so I bought a pair heavy duty ratched straps & strapped around the frame in the back.... Kinda pain in the neck to get them around the rails but worth the trouble... I covered the car and shrink-wrapped the heck out of it to keep the cover from blowing off or rubbing new paint to death... Worked great!

Don't forget the pics when she's home...

Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Keris C3
Intermediate

Default Thank you

Dad was right everyone is great! Thank you. I will let you know how she does on the trip.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Don't put a cover on the car....it will flap and either blow off, get torn up and/or put wear-spots in the paint. You can wrap it with the right kind of shipping wrap, if you think it needs it. Make sure the tow vehicle has flaps behind the rear wheels to minimize possibility of rock nicks and road-splash getting to the car.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Don't put a cover on the car....it will flap and either blow off, get torn up and/or put wear-spots in the paint. You can wrap it with the right kind of shipping wrap, if you think it needs it. Make sure the tow vehicle has flaps behind the rear wheels to minimize possibility of rock nicks and road-splash getting to the car.
Don't know how far the car is being trailered but... California to Arkansas was about 1800 miles in crappy February weather, covered, shrink-wrapped and not a scratch or paint scuff... The wrap kept the cover from flapping or blowing off & protected it from any rocks, nicks and road splash...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Keris C3
Intermediate

Default Thank you some much for the help.

I will be putting a car cover over it once it gets here. I don't have one yet. Where is a good place to pick one up? The car is going to be garage kept but I have a cat and she gets out there sometimes so I want to keep the car covered. Plus I have to boys who go in the garage. Don't want to take any chances but they know how important this car is.

Keri
Old 07-09-2008, 12:43 AM
depdep3
Instructor

I did mine on a U-Haul trailer. Becareful because they require the weight of the truck to be more then the car AND trailer.

I used the wheel straps from the trailer on the front, and I used tie down straps to the frame in the back. Worked fine drug it about 400 miles.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Keris C3
Intermediate

Default She is home!

Thank you for all the help. She is home she made it in one piece. I will be sending photos soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello, New and need ??s answered

Quick Reply: Hello, New and need ??s answered