IF I were to sell...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default IF I were to sell...

What would you think it is worth... this is a DRAFT 'For Sale' posting that I'm tossing around posting on the C3 forum... this is my '80 L48 purchased in 1997. 132,600 orig miles

Well, I thought I could do this without parting with both vettes... the ex-wife is proving to be as money-grubbing as she can be. The '69 sold in May and now it is time to sell the '80 to pay for a decent lawyer to fight it out over an alimony agreement that I got suckered into (should have hired a lawyer THEN... I KNOW I KNOW ).

Anyway, my loss will be somebody's gain.

For sale is my 1980 L48 coupe. It was originally sold NEW in Texas and was claret red. The PO painted it in 1994 a garnet red with pearl base coat. The shop that applied the paint was George and Sons in Clearwater FL. They closed the paint shop in the mid-90's to focus on their primary business: towing. The manager of the shop did the work. The paint is now 14 years old. It has a few scratches that I'll endeavor to post pictures for in the next day or so... I need to do a walk-around... like I said, I never expected to sell it... it was my first vette purchase in 1997.

The interior is saddle color and includes new carpet, seats/cushions and door panels from Corvette America (bought in Dec 2004). I've replaced the dash lense, the shifter cover, boot, and arm rest cover. I also have a replacement AM/FM/CB recently bought off of eBay and that I intended to re-install in the car; it came with the CB option and the automatic antenna is the orig AM/FM/CB antenna... pretty cool. It has a Sony 20-watt per channel, 4-channel in-dash AM/FM/CB with triaxial speakers in the rear and co-axial speakers in the top of the dash. The dash is original and could use replacement. The steering wheel was a replacement (from the repair history) and could use either recovering or replacement. I replaced the windshield in the late 90's and the windshield frame was solid except for some surface rust that I ground off and applied rust-stopper and flat black paint over before the glass was professionally installed. Replaced the A/C and heater selector lense and the accessory bulb that lights that area of the console (didn't realize there was one but couldn't figure out why the selector was not 'lit' when driving at night... LOL)

The frame is solid with no rust-through or damage.

Now, for the mechanicals. To say I've gone through this car is a GROSS understatement. Since buying it in 1997, I've removed, replaced or cleaned practically everything on the car. Here's my list.... I'll add to it as I remember things:
  1. Radiator support - new from Zip Products in 2000
  2. Radiator - replacement modine new in 1997. Re-cored in 2005. No leaks
  3. Radiator fluid reservoir replaced new
  4. All hoses and belts replaced in 2005
  5. KYB shock absorbers installed on all four corners in 2005
  6. Complete Front rubber suspension from VB&P with heavy duty idler arm in 1998
  7. Complete rebuilt power steering system from VB&P sometime after 1999
  8. Engine-Rebuilt in 1999 including:
    Original block with Street Performance rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts including Cloyes True Roller timing set, Melling High volume oil pump, Crane energizer cam, federal mogul flat-top hypereutectic pistons with valve reliefs, pioneer (?) freeze plugs, Hastings moly rings (.020 over), Clevite and Mich 77 main and rod bearings (mains turned .020 under), Fel-Pro gaskets/seals. Rebuilt Advance Auto Parts 882 cylinder heads with larger valves (replaced the old, tired 624 heads), Speed Pro push rods, Wolverine long-slot rocker arms with grooved pivot *****, replacement oil pan-Zip.
  9. Since the rebuild: Edelbrock Performer intake with EGR (3701), Lars-rebuilt q-jet (flawless), Accel Perf Replacement HEI with custom recurve and adjustable vacuum can, DART Iron Eagle cast iron cylinder heads (72cc chambers, 180cc intake runners), refurbished OEM ram air system, Heddman Jet-Hot coated headers with A.I.R. fittings, functional OEM smog pump and plumbing (still installed), new water pump, 2.5" dual exhaust with h-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers... no cat converter.
  10. Dr Rebuild vacuum hose kits including ALL vacuum system hoses and fittings and a new evaporative canister and headlight vacuum canister... no vacuum leaks to rob performance!!!
  11. Rebuilt wiper motor
  12. Bow-Tie Overdrives 700R4 transmission conversion with 2000rpm stall converter sometime after 2001. I added the custom carb bracket and cable to further refine the adjustment. Replaced a leaky shift selector shaft and seal. No other leaks since then. The trans runs strong and I get rubber off the line and betw the 1-2 shift. Actually, from a standing start, if I step on it, it will smoke the tires off the line and into 2nd gear... lots of fun. I don't do it often but it is VERY nice to have I also replaced the shifter using one from the 1982 equipped with 700R4... not sure what that bought me but it has that as well as the shifter selector plate that shows "D, 3, 2, 1..."
  13. Shortened drive shaft by Performance Shaft Technology in Clearwater, FL
  14. New replacement differential installed with the transmission conversion. This unit was a service replacement that had been on a shelf in a GM repair shop. Had the unit verified by Alan's Gear Works in Clearwater, FL. They then replaced the stock, never used 3.07 gears with Dana Spicer 3.54 gears and blueprinted the unit. This unit has performed FLAWLESSLY since installed.
  15. Van Steel rebuilt half shafts, and rear trailing arm assemblies
  16. VB&P rebuild rear brake calipers
  17. VB&P poly adjustable rear strut rods
  18. GoodYear Eagle GTII P255/60R15 radials. New front tires in 2005 and rear tires were installed new in 2001. Very good rubber on all four corners.
  19. Rebuilt starter and alternator. New battery in early 2007
  20. all weatherstripping replaced in 1998 from Willcox Chevrolet. The t-tops do NOT leak

I have the original TH350C and converter. It was 'slipping' when I removed it.

I have drawers full of 'take off parts' that I can include. Also, a stack of 'repair/rebuild' file folders that I accumulated all of my receipts and project documentation in. I have an EXTENSIVE collection of corvette parts catalogs as well as Corvette books and literature. Original window stickers included as well as OEM sales brochure and other items. This vette has been my 'baby'. Probably the last vette I'll ever own. Many fond memories wrenching on it in my garage.

I have spent nearly $20,000 to bring this car to this current level of reliability. It runs great. I would like to get $12,000 out of it. If you want a reliable driver that does not break down and has had all major systems repaired or replaced (no surprises), this is the car for you. I have always garaged the vette and since bringing it to Ohio in 2005 (its first winter weather EVER), I have only driven it up until the roads were salted... then it sat in the garage until Spring.

I am not offering a warranty or guarantee. This car is sold as-is, where-is. This car turned 28 (years) this year. It's a beautiful car that turns heads. I will help seller load it onto a hauler but transport/pickup must be provided/arranged by the seller in advance.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Keep the car!!!!
Sell the x wife
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani
Keep the car!!!!
Sell the x wife
I hear ya. Wish she'd meet some rich old guy (well, older than me) and be happy. But, she is getting too much enjoyment making my life miserable.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the Vette and tell her to eat $hit. If you have kids, make sure you provide for them. As for her, she can get a fricken job!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mia
Keep the Vette and tell her to eat $hit. If you have kids, make sure you provide for them. As for her, she can get a fricken job!
No kids... just a spoiled ex-wife (she was spoiled by her parents). The agreement was WAY generous and I'm just trying to get it down to an amount where I can afford to build a home with woman I've met once we're married. But, ex- says 'agreement says I'm entitled...' and I'm trying to tell her that I can't make ends meet and provide that level of alimony. We did this without lawyers (thinking it was 'the right thing to do'). Now, I realize, I was a chump and basically mortgaged my life for the next ten years (eight remaining in the agreement) with an agreement that essentially gives alimony (plus her gross salary) yielding an effective gross income over $40,000 per year... she makes mid $20's.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Alimony is the biggest crock of $hit every created to screw over men.... Child support is a must as long as it goes for the kids and not the new Mercedes (it happened to a good friend of mine)... In the days when women were not allowed to work outside the home & got dumped I could see it but now it is just a matter of being damn lazy and wanting to take everything they can from the guy they gave the privilege of sleeping with them for however long they decided to actually give it up.... It needs to be out-lawed!

Sorry your going through this... I need a drink!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by justaguy10825
Alimony is the biggest crock of $hit every created to screw over men.... Child support is a must as long as it goes for the kids and not the new Mercedes (it happened to a good friend of mine)... In the days when women were not allowed to work outside the home & got dumped I could see it but now it is just a matter of being damn lazy and wanting to take everything they can from the guy they gave the privilege of sleeping with them for however long they decided to actually give it up.... It needs to be out-lawed!

Sorry your going through this... I need a drink!
I need a drink too... she's helping fuel that habit too.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
81_vette!
Racer

Default Worth more than 12K!

12K should sell it really fast.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
justaguy10825
Instructor

Originally Posted by TedH
I need a drink too... she's helping fuel that habit too.
...and trying to make sure you can't afford it.... Burns me up!!!!! I have seen many good friends get screwed over with alimony... Even if the split was not their fault... A real pi$$ off...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

No kids... just a spoiled ex-wife (she was spoiled by her parents). The agreement was WAY generous and I'm just trying to get it down to an amount where I can afford to build a home with woman I've met once we're married. But, ex- says 'agreement says I'm entitled...' and I'm trying to tell her that I can't make ends meet and provide that level of alimony. We did this without lawyers (thinking it was 'the right thing to do'). Now, I realize, I was a chump and basically mortgaged my life for the next ten years (eight remaining in the agreement) with an agreement that essentially gives alimony (plus her gross salary) yielding an effective gross income over $40,000 per year... she makes mid $20's.
If it were me, and there was not lawyer or court involved in this goofy settlement, I would simply stop paying her and move on. If she wanted to continue to get money from you she should have stayed married to you.

I've never understood that whole alimony thing. Sounds like an entitlement program to me.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mia
If it were me, and there was not lawyer or court involved in this goofy settlement, I would simply stop paying her and move on. If she wanted to continue to get money from you she should have stayed married to you.

I've never understood that whole alimony thing. Sounds like an entitlement program to me.
Sadly, it was formally prepared by a lawyer in a mediation agreement and incorporated into the Divorce Settlement by a Florida Magistrate.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Sadly, it was formally prepared by a lawyer in a mediation agreement and incorporated into the Divorce Settlement by a Florida Magistrate.
I feel your pain, Been married to a good one this time for 30 years, but have to ex wives that were good house keepers..they kept the house and everything in it!.....Things will get better.....LT
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alimony is a crock!

I feel your pain.
No alimony here in Indiana, but the "F"in' Ex still drug the divorce out for 25 months trying to make me pay her legal fees! In the meantime I had to pay her living expenses plus child support while she lived with her boyfriend (with my kids during the divorce) and had him paying her actual "real" bills while she worked full time and made about $27 per hour. In the end, she paid her legal bills and I paid mine. The only people that made out where the Damn lawyers. They screwed her for over $20K and mine got me for about $10K. But if I'd given in to their demands, I'd never been able to financially move on.

Don't go jumping into another marriage!

As for the car, sorry to hear your going to take a bath on it. It's worth well over the $12K. Depends how fast you need to sell it. If you have any means of keeping it, I'd suggest that first.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I would say your price sounds fair. As for this possibly being your last Vette, in my case I didn't get my Vette until I got rid of the wife. I couldn't afford it while she was around.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
I would say your price sounds fair. As for this possibly being your last Vette, in my case I didn't get my Vette until I got rid of the wife. I couldn't afford it while she was around.

Same here!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your feedback and sentiments. I'll try to hold out a while longer. Really am at wits end... can't move forward here with a legal obligation to pay $1,500/month for next three years and slightly less for the five years after that.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Thanks for your feedback and sentiments. I'll try to hold out a while longer. Really am at wits end... can't move forward here with a legal obligation to pay $1,500/month for next three years and slightly less for the five years after that.
Isn't there a clause that the alimony ends or diminishes if/when she remarries???? Guarantee she'll have her fingers in some other guy's wallet before long. Mom and Dad set her up to be dependant on men for survival. She'll be remarried in no time.
Speaking from experience of course!

Get notified of new replies

To IF I were to sell...

Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

If it were me, I'd just stop paying! What are they going to do? Put you in jail? No, they will just try and get a court order to garnish your wages. I work for myself, so I would have human resources ignore that request.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Michigan Vette Guy
Instructor

Default Say........

I know a guy...that knows a guy.....who solves problems.
Yep, Yep, Yep. Saddest time in my life. May 1994. I was blind sided with my divorce. By the time we were getting under way with the proceedings, it came up that she was 3 months pregnant. You learn a lot about how really evil people can be in Divorce. ]
I think the first thing they do, is curl up on the couch with a glass of wine and call all their friends that are Ex's and get the poop on what they should do. My ex was screwing a Doctor, and still had the nerve to ask for money. And, cleaned me out while I was away visiting my Mother. Came home and all that "Cool Shi*" that we bought as a couple was gone! It got worse...but I feel your pain Bro
It took me alot of time (and a bancrupcy) to get over that stuff. But in 2001 I truly was blessed and married a wonderful woman. I am the happiest I have ever been with a mate, and NEVER thought I would get married again. So please, hang in there, and easy on the sauce! It destroyed a friend of mine that was also going through the Big D. Sorry for the sob story and long post. Just an incredibly important part of my life. And I honestly feel sad for folks that are getting reamed in these damn divorces. Hang in there Bro!!!! If I wouldn't have bought my '73 a month ago, and seen ths post. I probably would have bought your car. I have always liked the 80-82's.
Just remember that it get's better, and don't give up! Keep Pushin' on! (Little REO there for ya). I truly am sorry for your predicament! I hope you can keep the Vette! But I know how it is, when you have to sell some pretty meaningful things just to get through this crap. Keep your chin up man! (BTW, I was just kidding about the "I know a guy" thing. That's not a good idea. Tempting...but not a good idea)

Last edited by Michigan Vette Guy; 07-09-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Addendum to thread.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
ohsofast
Intermediate

Michigan Vette Guy, your first line is too funny. lol

Quick Reply: IF I were to sell...