Please Review: Ten Rules For Buying Your First C3 Corvette - Page 7 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-06-2015, 03:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Please Review: Ten Rules For Buying Your First C3 Corvette

Old 01-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #121
bruceg2016
CF Senior Member

Would having all original glass mean less likely car was ever in accident? My 79 has JA code on all of the glass except driverside glass says GA i'm wondering if this means all original, also would this be a good thing to look for when buying

Last edited by bruceg2016; 01-16-2016 at 02:37 PM.
bruceg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #122
Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
Right, because it's so much better to drive a sensible Camry...

If you think buying a C3 is a fiscally responsible decision; you really need to get back into your Camry and motor on out of here.

A 69 Convertible. Nothing special.
Okay, I probably could've phrased that better. My point was it's not a big block or anything else that makes it a little more rare. Remember, it's not my car, I'm just the guy who's going to have to work on it and I don't want to marry it. I already have my own money pit, a 64 Falcon with a built 289 so I'm well versed in how much it costs to put/keep an older vehicle on the road...if I got incredibly lucky I might get fifty cents back on the dollar but it's a blast to drive.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #123
Dale_z28

Default Thanks for the insight!

I will soon have the '71 home for further inspection, and need a couple locations clarified, please. 1: the birdcage areas where rust can be an issue; and the location of the VIN tag (I looked around the base of the windshield on the drivers side to no avail...could the windshield have been resealed, obscuring the tag? Or is it in a different location altogether?)

I'll have the car on my trailer which is open in the center for access to the underbody. I'll be able to take pictures to better report it's condition.

Also, I would like to determine if the engine is free, but hesitate to crank it with the starter. If I use a breaker-bar on the crank, do I risk hurting anything IF it will turn? I'll remove the plugs and squirt some oil down the into the cylinders first...

I need to get a good description of this cars condition for future sale, so any other wisdom from the "brotherhood" would be welcome and appreciated!
Dale_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #124
Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_z28 View Post
I will soon have the '71 home for further inspection, and need a couple locations clarified, please. 1: the birdcage areas where rust can be an issue; and the location of the VIN tag (I looked around the base of the windshield on the drivers side to no avail...could the windshield have been resealed, obscuring the tag? Or is it in a different location altogether?)

I'll have the car on my trailer which is open in the center for access to the underbody. I'll be able to take pictures to better report it's condition.

Also, I would like to determine if the engine is free, but hesitate to crank it with the starter. If I use a breaker-bar on the crank, do I risk hurting anything IF it will turn? I'll remove the plugs and squirt some oil down the into the cylinders first...

I need to get a good description of this cars condition for future sale, so any other wisdom from the "brotherhood" would be welcome and appreciated!

I just went through this with a 69 I'm working on for a friend. Here's the story so far;

You won't hurt anything if you use a breaker bar to turn the engine and if it's been sitting a while it'll probably be stuck. I used a liberal amount of WD-40 in each cylinder, let it sit for a day and then began rocking the crank with a breaker bar /socket. I eventually got it unstuck, that was the first step. I put a new battery in and found out the starter wouldn't turn because of the tarnish on the commutator. Cleaned that and got the starter working..step two was complete. At that point I found out why the car was parked some 25 years ago...the timing chain had called it quits, or more accurately, the timing gear on the cam had shredded in typical 350 fashion. I now have it running but the gas tank is trash, waiting for that to come in.

On your car, the VIN should be on the A pillar on the driver's side. Birdcage corrosion will probably be most noticeable where it attaches to the frame just forward of the door openings. You'll be able to see it when you pull the kick panels. Also, the windshield frame is probably going to be an issue.

I don't claim to be an expert on any of these topics, this is just what I've learned working on a 69. I'm not sure how much help you'll get here, this site seems to attract more than its share of snarky comments. Good luck with your project.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #125
sheedbg

These are awesome tips, thanks !
sheedbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #126
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

FYI for new Forum Members: Three years into my $5,000 week-end basket case '68 convertible project.....add on $7,000 in aftermarket parts.....it will get new paint soon. Moral of the story......A reliable daily driver chrome bumper Vette will cost $15,000 or more whether it is "turn-key" or DIY.....It just depends on how soon you want to drive it.

It's two tons of fun either way!

Last edited by doorgunner; 09-30-2016 at 08:57 PM.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #127
Tubbafatt
CF Senior Member
C3 of Month Finalist 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
FYI for new Forum Members: Three years into my $5,000 week-end basket case '68 convertible project.....add on $7,000 in aftermarket parts.....it will get new paint soon. Moral of the story......A reliable daily driver chrome bumper Vette will cost $15,000 or more whether it is "turn-key" or DIY.....It just depends on how soon you want to drive it.

It's two tons of fun either way!
You can build one for under 15k, as long as you don't mind paying with your time instead of money. I have about 12k in mine total, car was 5k and put 7k in it. Me and my brother did all the work, and found ways to save money, for example building our own center console and rewraping/dyeing original interior trim pieces instead of buying new, which saved a LOT of $$$ but it probably took 100x longer that just buying new parts and bolting them in. So it can be done but I think most people would rather just spend the extra money to get her on the road faster.

Last edited by Tubbafatt; 10-01-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Tubbafatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #128
clypsedra
CF Member

I definitely broke some of these rules, particularly falling in love with it. I think I knew as little about the car as the seller, but so far so good. It was also nice to see that that original owner got almost every single option. For 8700 it runs strong, but has some dashboard ground issues, rusty suspension, and definitely likes to leak...Hope all is well! So far I have driven it over 500 miles in two months and it just gets better.
clypsedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #129
Tooonz
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If you don't love it, you'll never get through the list of things that will need attention over time. It's like a woman if you don't love her, every little thing will annoy you..
Tooonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #130
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

added #s matching video.
chstitans42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Please Review: Ten Rules For Buying Your First C3 Corvette
  •