Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil after break in

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From reading this i think i found my problem of my old engine. I did swich from semi-synthec to full syntech last year and by the end of the year i had one piston that was'nt working,probably the cam had gone bad.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Will be running mine with synthetic from first startup.
I hope you have roller lifters and cam.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple Break-in Oil

Engine builders using flat-tappet cams have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue by developing a new engine break-in oil.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valve train from initial start up wear. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.

http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html
Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
Royal Purple Break-in Oil

Engine builders using flat-tappet cams have grown increasingly concerned that many modern motor oils do not provide adequate wear protection for new engines, particularly those using flat-tappet cams. Royal Purple has addressed this issue by developing a new engine break-in oil.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is formulated to allow optimal ring seal and protect rotating assembly components such as the camshaft and valve train from initial start up wear. Royal Purple combines highly refined mineral oil, preferred for engine break-in, with advanced additives containing high levels of zinc and phosphorus to optimize protection in flat-tappet and roller engines.

Royal Purple Break-in Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. Royal Purple recommends using their high performance motor oils after the engine is broken in for maximum engine performance.

http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html
Pretty cool. I am a big fan and buy the RP in 5 gallon containers.
Cost about 7 bucks a quart this way.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Last month's Corvette Fever did a long article on how flat tappet cam engines need zinc in the oil. They noted that synthetics may be too slick, that the lifters might not even rotate in their bores which they are supposed to do. That issue is probably still on newstands, I just got the latest issue last week as a subscriber. I thought the article was a good read and very informative.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:38 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Last month's Corvette Fever did a long article on how flat tappet cam engines need zinc in the oil. They noted that synthetics may be too slick, that the lifters might not even rotate in their bores which they are supposed to do.
May be and might not. There's some sound, scientific investigation there.
I gotta remember to take Corvette Fever OFF my "must read" list.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

That rag comes up with more BS than the Enquirer!

Scarier yet is that some people consider it Gospel!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by den(thevetteman)78
I would like to know when should i change my oil for Synthetic oil. I just got 600 miles on my new engine and i was told that i could be able to change my breaking oil for new one but could i got for synthetic now ?
If your new engine has a hydraulic cam and lifters, and not a modern roller cam ( post 86 vette) then you should contact your cam manufacturer for advice on oil, and I suspect they will tell you that most current oils have decreased zinc and phosphorus formulas due to EPA requirements to extend the life of catalytic converters, and because roller cams in modern cars don't require that formula. Your cam manufacturer may recommend a particular oil- like Valvoline Racing oil which allegedly still has the additives: or Shell Rotellla Diesel, which also has the additives, but now in reduced amounts. Your cam manufacturer may also recommend an additive to regular 10W30 dino at every oil change. I suspect that synthetic oil wil not be recommended for atleast 5K miles after break-in, or not at all if someone had old or original factory gaskets, due to the potential for leaks. Corvette Fever magazine just did an article about the purported bad effects of synthetic oil on the movement of lifters in the bore- thus causing an undesirable wear pattern. but i have not heard this previuously. So contact the manufacturer of your new cam and get some further advice. I just rebuilt my engine to a 355 with a mild Lunati VooDoo cam and lifters, and have decided to use 5W or 10W30 Dino oil with a half bottle of GM EOS added at every 3Kmile change. Good luck with your research and decision. Jim
Old 08-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Alex Marshall
4th Gear

it depend on the quality you using of oil but aprox 5,000 miles would be enough for it
Old 08-17-2018, 01:57 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Marshall
it depend on the quality you using of oil but aprox 5,000 miles would be enough for it
This thread is 10 years old.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil after break in