C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access Panel In Windshield Wiper Compartment???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Access Panel In Windshield Wiper Compartment???

I've got the wiper door and door mechanism out of my 70. Looking in on the driver's side of the wiper compartment there's a vertical panel maybe 8 inches wide and 4 inches tall. It's held in by 4 bolts. It looks like if it were removed, you'd have a clear shot at getting to those troublesome bolts that hold in the PS vacuum canister. I took all four bolts out, but the panel wouldn't move. There are some rivet heads on it so something is riveted to it on the other side.

Anyone know what's on the other side? Can it in fact be removed ( I didn't want to tug or force it without knowing what would happen)?
I gave a look in the AIM with no success.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I've got the wiper door and door mechanism out of my 70. Looking in on the driver's side of the wiper compartment there's a vertical panel maybe 8 inches wide and 4 inches tall. It's held in by 4 bolts. It looks like if it were removed, you'd have a clear shot at getting to those troublesome bolts that hold in the PS vacuum canister. I took all four bolts out, but the panel wouldn't move. There are some rivet heads on it so something is riveted to it on the other side.

Anyone know what's on the other side? Can it in fact be removed ( I didn't want to tug or force it without knowing what would happen)?
I gave a look in the AIM with no success.

I removed mine once. I could get to the top of the pedal bracket, but I couldn't really get to the booster nuts. Those are easiest with the driver's seat out, a pillow for your head, and a ratchet with a few long extensions and a wobble.

I really didn't see anything useful about removing that plate. Oh, and mine was stuck pretty hard too...kind of glued down.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

That plate is the reinforcement for the pedal housing assembly. Check
AIM, UPC 5, Sheet A2. On my 71 there are 2 rivets holding it in place even after the 4 bolts are out. If you take it off there's still firewall fiberglass there.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-18-2014, 08:32 AM
MMJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
That plate is the reinforcement for the pedal housing assembly. Check
AIM, UPC 5, Sheet A2. On my 71 there are 2 rivets holding it in place even after the 4 bolts are out. If you take it off there's still firewall fiberglass there.
Regards,
Alan
I know this is years later, Alan, but thanks for posting this! It really helped me out.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
You're welcome.
There's even a picture now.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Access Panel In Windshield Wiper Compartment???

Quick Reply: Access Panel In Windshield Wiper Compartment???