Sponsored by:

Cost of a Paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
If you plan to paint it black, you better be prepared to do a bunch of blocking. Black will reveal any latent problems with the body or body work. I just had my 69 painted in the S.F. Bay Area for $8,500 and it came out "magnificent" to quote some of the people who've seen it. It wows me every time I look at it. The car was painted back to the same color (LeMans Blue) but the door jambs and everything else were done like it was changing color. Even the inner doors were repainted. The guy blocked the snot out of it and it came out looking like a blue piece of glass (which, I guess, it is). Don't forget that you'll need to provide new weather stipping, replacement parts, possibly new emblems and maybe even get some re-chroming done. I had an additional $1,300 into mine for those kinds of items. If the paint shop is doing a turn key job (you drop it off and you pick it up complete) be sure you and the shop owner do a function check of all the electrical stuff when you drop it off for both of your protection. Mine came out of the shop with a shorted brake light, non-working turn signals, no backups and about half the other bulbs broken. We're still working these items out. I've entered it in two shows since I had it painted, though, and won a first and second place in the C3 class. $15K is too much to pay. I'm guessing that you can find a good paint job for $6K - $8K without too much trouble. Get references and be sure to ask them about the turn around on the work. Lots of shops will take a full paint job as a filler between the profitable insurance work and you'll wait forever for your car. BTW, I gave my guy a $3K down payment, a $3K payment when the paint was on the car and the final $2.5K when it was all buffed out and ready to go.

Saw your car at Kassabians a couple weeks ago, it does look good

jayst1, anything you can do yourself do it, that much less you have to pay.
I had a shop spray my 68 with a base/clear metallic (bodywork was already done,car already stripped) and was still out $4500
Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Paint is waaay more than $100, you'll spend more than $100 on sandpaper alone. If its a BC/CC you'll have $1K into first line quality materials.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I was stating the red color might cost additional $100,
vs another paint color.
(but I have not priced paint in a long time either.)
these days, the quality of the paint, determines price not the color.

agreed you better figure on a min. $1000 materials,
probable closer to $1500 for good paint, these days.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Yeah a gallon of read PPG or Glasurit will set you back $600.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

ima throw out a horible option... wait for someone to rear end ya. then they have to make the whole car match. that way you off set cost, and can get the whole car painted. and everyone will take it cause its an insurance job! everyone wins :P
full paint with decent turn around time prolly around 10-12.. 15 does sound hi. maybe 15 includes getting it back that much quicker? what kinda turn around time was discussed with that quote?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtried
ima throw out a horible option... wait for someone to rear end ya. then they have to make the whole car match. that way you off set cost, and can get the whole car painted. and everyone will take it cause its an insurance job! everyone wins :P
full paint with decent turn around time prolly around 10-12.. 15 does sound hi. maybe 15 includes getting it back that much quicker? what kinda turn around time was discussed with that quote?

You're killing me here....I have to see (and Work) that stuff every day!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
jayst1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtried
LOL..... I only have liability
Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a fender bender in another car that I had to get repaired. I was referred to a place that ended up doing it for me for 1/2 the price that I was quoted somewhere else and looked great. I started talking to them about doing my vette. They quoted me $1200 for the paint job and normal disassembly of trim and handles. Any body work would be extra depending on the amt needed. They had a C4 that they painted and was waiting reassembly of handles and trim. Looked very good and the whole job was $1200.

I don't need a show quality job so they're doin mine when it's time. I'm going to do most of the prep work first. Shop around and get referrals.
The following users liked this post:
corvetero (03-16-2016)
Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milo30
I had a fender bender in another car that I had to get repaired. I was referred to a place that ended up doing it for me for 1/2 the price that I was quoted somewhere else and looked great. I started talking to them about doing my vette. They quoted me $1200 for the paint job and normal disassembly of trim and handles. Any body work would be extra depending on the amt needed. They had a C4 that they painted and was waiting reassembly of handles and trim. Looked very good and the whole job was $1200.

I don't need a show quality job so they're doin mine when it's time. I'm going to do most of the prep work first. Shop around and get referrals.
I don't see how they could possibly do a vette for $1200.00 materials will be 500 to 600 alone.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 AM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gator79
I don't see how they could possibly do a vette for $1200.00 materials will be 500 to 600 alone.
Not sure but that's what the one I looked at was charged and what they told me they'd do mine for if it didn't need any body work. I'm no expert but the job I looked at looked like a factory paint job to me. The work they did on my other car was great too.

I figure I'll try to get it as good as I can and then pay them to finalize all the body work because I'm painting it black again. It's going to be some time before I have it done but when I do I'll post pics.

The job they did for me on a small fender bender was priced at other shops for $550. They looked at it and told me $200. The next day I got a call and it was ready. bill was exactly $200. Besides the referal for them I have more incentive to believe the price they quoted is what they'll actually charge.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Ed_78Vette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Jay.

First, let me say that I have family in Chester and Hopewell. I live in California, S.F. bay area, and visit VA every spring. I like the Richmond area.

Second, do your homework. Don't rush into a paint job. You own a piece of Americana and it should be treated that way. Save you money for a one time, good looking paint job.

I have a 78, and take my time in the restoration game. It is always worth the wait for the right job!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard here that local boat shops that paint boats can do a superior job (because they mainly pain 'Glass) and aren't afraid of it. Also here they may charge you a good deal less-- 3,000 was a number i heard a member got his painted for at a boat shop. - Check it out.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 AM
radames
Heel & Toe

Wouldn't it be easier and less labor time to have the car media blasted first. There is a company here in Ft Myers area that's going to blast mine at my house for $400.00
Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this thread is 5 years old. I'm sure prices and labor cost have changed.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 PM
79CalShark
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what is worth, I'd say run!!! Unless you're considering a high end restoration, $15k is a very high estimate by any reasonable standards. My personal threshold is between $3 and $5k. for a very decent paint job.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:27 PM
super-bee_ski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of a paint job

I'm restoring a 1963 Dodge "Max-Wedge"

I just spent $1,400 JUST the paint, clear-coat and hardner.

Paint jobs are pricey, good ones that is but $15,000 seems high to me.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Show car to collect a bunch of plastic trophies??? spend away, street driver on a mostly daily basis.....

Well, My '72 WAS an old show car with a mega bux paint job, burgundy, the last of the show car status, I paid 8 grand for the car, with body mods and a beautiful looking paint job that was a ten year old garage queen.....

well, after having it for some decade or so, I noticed that nothing lasts forever,......being as I drove it....and it sat in the FLORIDA SUN in the afternoons, the back deck got all spider web cracked, and I could not buff it out any more, THAT, the the reality of two front end collisions, a damn DEER darted out from in front of a minivan....wiped out the stock headlights, I dutched in a good fix that lasted some years and looked good, then about 6 years ago a Verizon truck backed his damn hitch into the front bumper on left side, which made my fix almost impossible because the tops of the fenders were dieing, about bad as the rear deck....

so to paint it myself.....

sand prime/paint about 50 times, some minor body mods, nothing radical, and so it's a decent 20-20 car which is not so awful evil for a 40 y/o street car that will outrun most imports....

Get notified of new replies

To Cost of a Paint job?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Removing all the old paint, reasonable amount of 'glass work/replacement, good materials; my guess is $5K to $8K.
I took over a year to find the right guy. If someone tells you $2K, run like hell.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Mike7143
Instructor

Just out of curiosity, can anyone recall anyone who's had a maaco paint job? I swear I saw threads about it and that their "best" package was decent for getting a driver painted...

Never thought about boat places painting a vette, not a bad idea. I wonder if they'd mess with glass repairs? Would that even be a good idea? Boats... corvettes... Hmm...
Old 08-29-2013, 06:17 PM
1984crossfirefuelie
Racer

Go to MAACO $899 and you will have a ton of money left over to party with. Would if you spend $8000 on a paint job and someone crashes into you the vette is still only worth $6000. Or the neighbors cat does a burnout on the hood. I wouldn't put a ton of money into paint.

Quick Reply: Cost of a Paint job?