Firestone F-70-15 BLACKWALL Super Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Tschim
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firestone F-70-15 BLACKWALL Super Sport Tires

Hi, Does anyone know where I can buy repro Firestone F-70-15 Blackwall Super Sports in bias ply for my 68. Plenty of places have the redline and whitewall tires, Kelsey has the Goodyear repros in blackwall but I can't find the Firestones in blackwall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I'm a stickler for putting back on the car what was on it when it left the factory.
BUT, since 68s were built with Firestone, Goodyear, or Uniroyal tires, (and you couldn't specify the brand, nor was it on the Build Sheet), I'd call the Goodyears a good choice in this case.
I'm sorry I can't be any help.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Why can't you just mount them with the white wall or letters in?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Try Coker Tire
http://www.cokertire.com/
Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Maybe I was looking in the wrong place at Coker, but I didn't see a F70-15 Firestone Blackwall. Also I believe that Coker's Wide Oval's are belted construction, not bias-ply as original.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Tschim
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all that responded. I tried Coker but they don't have them, they only have redline, whitewall and raised white letter which didn't come out until the 69 model year. I've also tried several other classic tire dealers and they tell me they are not manufactured. As Alan 71 stated blackwall was the standard tire for 68 but it appears my only correct choice would be the Goodyear tire. The Firestone that Coker sells doesn't have the correct number of ribs, they should have 9, in the tire pattern and wouldn't be correct for judging. For judging purposes, turning the tires inside out is a complete deduction. I still have the original Firestone blackwall Super Sport spare which has the 9 ribs and is a non DOT tire.Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 09:32 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tschim
Thanks to all that responded. I tried Coker but they don't have them, they only have redline, whitewall and raised white letter which didn't come out until the 69 model year. I've also tried several other classic tire dealers and they tell me they are not manufactured. As Alan 71 stated blackwall was the standard tire for 68 but it appears my only correct choice would be the Goodyear tire. The Firestone that Coker sells doesn't have the correct number of ribs, they should have 9, in the tire pattern and wouldn't be correct for judging. For judging purposes, turning the tires inside out is a complete deduction. I still have the original Firestone blackwall Super Sport spare which has the 9 ribs and is a non DOT tire.Thanks
Do you know how much the deduction would be going down from Original tires to Goodyear 9 rib to Firestone 7 rib? I'm also planning to get my car judged, but I'm in the second or more likely third flight category if anything, so I'm not being overly specific... just curious if the points are predictable for this question.
Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Firestone F-70-15 BLACKWALL Super Sport Tires

Quick Reply: Firestone F-70-15 BLACKWALL Super Sport Tires