Sponsored by:

Replacing calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Replacing calipers?

Alright after fighting with my mushy brake pedal for months I have decided to replace the calipers with the ones with the O-ring. But there is a big difference in price from rebuilt to new. So what would you reconmend? After the car sits even for a few hours then push on the pedal for the first time it's very mushy but after a couple pumps it's pretty hard. And I think it's coming from the front bleeders becasuse they are wet. I even replaced them with stainless ones and are tight.

Last edited by alconk; 10-24-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Lemon Ray
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alconk, if you have original calipers and the car has spent any time sitting (several months) you most likely need to replace your calipers - all four. Pull them off and inspect them. If you see a bunch of corrosion and built up greasy oil the calipers are leaking. The cylinder itself corrodes which cause the caliper to draw microscopic air bubbles into the system and then mushy brakes. Hope that helps.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Well you could just replace the bleeders but I would inspect each caliper.

No reason for new, Either send yours in to be cleaned and O ringed or just use your as cores.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:25 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ddawson
Well you could just replace the bleeders but I would inspect each caliper.

No reason for new, Either send yours in to be cleaned and O ringed or just use your as cores.
I did replace the bleeders. I did not know you could send them in to be O ringed. Who does that?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can rebuild them yourself. Look through this thread. mike...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-calipers.html
Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by mds3013
You can rebuild them yourself. Look through this thread. mike...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-calipers.html
Yes, but the key to that write up, is the author's calipers were already re-sleeved with the stainless inserts. The OP didn't mention if his calipers already had the sleeves, or they were still the original cast iron finish (in which case, I'd recommend having them sleeved).
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

contact Muskegonbrake they can probably rebuild yours.
http://muskegonbrake.com/corvette/co...aliper-rebuild
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You speedreed8!

alconk, we would be more than happy to sleeve and rebuild your original calipers if you desire (as there is an approximate 4 week turn-around) or we can exchange them with newly rebuilt calipers. In the exchange we can even match your casting numbers on your calipers so numbers jive with the ones your car would have came with. If this interests you give us a call toll free at 800-442-0335 or stop by our website at www.muskegonbrake.com.

-muskegonbrake
Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

The best deal would be rebuilt lip seal calipers. I have no issue with lip seal style, but I drive my car a lot and it only sits for about 5 months over the winter.

I like rebuilt better because you have a better chance of getting original castings, instead of the new Chinese made ones. Although one of my calipers is chinese, and it has had no problems yet.

I keep a full lip seal kit in my tool box just in case I have to rebuild one.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

WellI don't know if the calipers are original or not, how would I be able to tell? Because if the PO replaced one or two somewhere along the line with a Chinese unit I'd just toss it.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These calipers are available as rebuilds at just about any parts store. If you give them your cores, the rebuilds cost about $65. I purchased one after I cranked off a bleed nipple; I was back on the road the same day and it hasn't leaked a drop in 2 years since...

Also, if you're getting new calipers, Speed Bleeders are well worth the money...my 2c
Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
Alright after fighting with my mushy brake pedal for months I have decided to replace the calipers with the ones with the O-ring.
If you can't get a hard pedal to start with, o-ring calipers won't help.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Chinese ones won't say "Delco" on them
Old 10-25-2013, 01:26 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally68
These calipers are available as rebuilds at just about any parts store. If you give them your cores, the rebuilds cost about $65. I purchased one after I cranked off a bleed nipple; I was back on the road the same day and it hasn't leaked a drop in 2 years since...

Also, if you're getting new calipers, Speed Bleeders are well worth the money...my 2c
Through the years for my current and past vettes I also use the rebuilt Delco Moraine brake calipers from the local auto parts store. Most recently Autozone. I had one leak probably 7? years after it was purchased, went back with my receipt and they exchange it at no cost. Lifetime warranty I believe, plus no shipping fees. If not having the original caliper back on the car is not an issue, check it out.

Last edited by John 65; 10-25-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank

don`t be so sure of that....
Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
I have used a couple. They (from NAPA) are aluminized and do not rust. Are they SS-sleeved? I do not know. I do know they have served me well since last May and come with a lifetime warranty. Don't be too quick to knock the ability of the Chinese to produce fine products. I would imagine the likes of NAPA, with its purchasing power and Q/A demands, will not tolerate a flawed product.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Whatever you do, don't by the sleeves and rings and try doing it yourself. I've done it, or I should say failed at it twice and afterword, heard that basically the success rate is minimal. I went with oreilly rebuild and have been very happy with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing calipers?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:11 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Don't know how "financial" you are, but consider replacing them with aluminum calipers. Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) or Wilwoods. I have SSBC on my 68 and 70. I think Wilwoods cost less. They seem to be the most popular brand lately.

If you have an old Corvette also consider replacing all the brake lines, the one you have are probably rusted inside. The brake lines can replaced with the body on..at least for SB cars. SS brake lines with SS fittings are pretty much corrosion proof. An then....you can replace the MC with a new rebuilt (it never stops). Finally with an all new brake and dry brake system, you have an option for silicon brake fluid. I have it in my 68, works fine, very hard pedal.

I like the aluminum calipers because they are so much lighter.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
If you can't get a hard pedal to start with, o-ring calipers won't help.
I think the non hard pedal is coming from the leaking bleeder valves that have been replaced twice. Fronts only, rears do not leak.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Don't know how "financial" you are, but consider replacing them with aluminum calipers. Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) or Wilwoods. I have SSBC on my 68 and 70. I think Wilwoods cost less. They seem to be the most popular brand lately.

If you have an old Corvette also consider replacing all the brake lines, the one you have are probably rusted inside. The brake lines can replaced with the body on..at least for SB cars. SS brake lines with SS fittings are pretty much corrosion proof. An then....you can replace the MC with a new rebuilt (it never stops). Finally with an all new brake and dry brake system, you have an option for silicon brake fluid. I have it in my 68, works fine, very hard pedal.

I like the aluminum calipers because they are so much lighter.
Whew... just checked them out, yes alittle pricy for me. Don't need nothing that fancy for me. Thanks for the comment though.

Quick Reply: Replacing calipers?